Little Belt Mountains Honey Holes

I hunted the little belts for a few years when I was stationed in Great Falls. Best assignment I’ve had. Killed my first bull there and missed a couple bruisers too. In my experience, I could find lots of bulls in the summer, then they’d disappear in September, then show right back up to the same spot come October.

Shhh. I'm spending 8 days alone up there for archery. I think I'd like to stay alone, but don't think I will be. Can't be worse than the Crazies, though.

Haven't been into the area on foot yet, but I've done a lot of e-scouting, read studies on habitat use, got some good info on outfitter, campground, and ATV use, and have come up with 8+ plans from 3 camps. Really hoping I don't have to change camps, though.

And as much as I'd like to get a hot tip and land in the elk immediately, I think it'll be more rewarding this way.

That being said, I wouldn't mind hunting with somebody that's actually killed an elk before.
Hell lets go. Im in the same boat as you and the Original poster

The OP never did reach out to me. If you or @R.K. want to, feel free. I won't spoon feed you, but I'll give you an honest assessment of your planning.

Thank you JLS ill do that once i figure out where i want to go lol. I prefer to hunt with a small group which is why i made my comment... Up to 3 other people ish. When i moved to Montana from Washington i left that group behind. So im now looking for new people to hunt with. For me its about getting out there and having fun and enjoying the woods. And with that it looks like i high jacked his thread. 🤣 sorry about that

The OP never did reach out to me. If you or @R.K. want to, feel free. I won't spoon feed you, but I'll give you an honest assessment of your planning.

PM sent. And a couple friends tentatively committed to a couple days, so I'm not flying entirely solo this time.

I've hunted them many times. Good luck! I've packed a couple out of there but it can be really crowded. I have called many hunters up in there so watch out hunting can be good during the week and away from the crowd. lot of country but also alot of roads with ATV traffic. I didn't draw this year so there will be one less person! Good luck and I'd definitely break in the boots.

I've hunted them many times. Good luck! I've packed a couple out of there but it can be really crowded. I have called many hunters up in there so watch out hunting can be good during the week and away from the crowd. lot of country but also alot of roads with ATV traffic. I didn't draw this year so there will be one less person! Good luck and I'd definitely break in the boots.

It's extra crowded this year (hunters and otherwise), the elk are silent & scattered, sign was hard to come by, and a bunch of people pulled up stakes early. Buddy got sick and couldn't make it, so I joined that crowd. I'm gonna try to spend the next few days solo in the Beartooths, trying to find elk for another friend, or kill one myself, while dodging grizzly bears.

Short cutting the work are we? Wow The belts are ruined because of loose lips and people who want to be hero's to someone they don't even know! Please wise up people, before there is NOTHING left!

Super helpful.

I bet you were a new hunter once. Or did you go in knowing it all already?

Gotcha!

I have been e scouting the crap out of the little belts and have been going back and forth on several scenarios. Can someone with local or firsthand knowledge answer some questions in DM to see if I'm on the right track? I really can't offer much in return except a young back for a pack out!

*Edited to help the illiterate guys here that think that I am asking for a handout
Any news, tips for season 2021?

I'm interested if the original poster was successful!

Any news, tips for season 2021?

I'm interested if the original poster was successful!

Not successful but did more than break in my boots. Did run into several elk and elk sign, though this was later in the rifle season. No eyes on elk in september. Not a lot of pressure where I decided to put in, not sure if this was a good thing or not. The guys I did see that were successful had shot them on thursday/friday and was packing out on saturday when I made it in. This year I'm going to focus on finding water and sitting rather than hoping to stumble onto one.

Sorry JLS I must've missed your comment between all of the mud flinging. Still interested in some critiques? I'm not entirely sure how DM works on here or I would have reached out that way.

Not successful but did more than break in my boots. Did run into several elk and elk sign, though this was later in the rifle season. No eyes on elk in september. Not a lot of pressure where I decided to put in, not sure if this was a good thing or not. The guys I did see that were successful had shot them on thursday/friday and was packing out on saturday when I made it in. This year I'm going to focus on finding water and sitting rather than hoping to stumble onto one.

Congrats. It took me two years before I even saw one while hunting and then two more to kill one. I hunted the Little Belts the past two years. I connected late in the season both times. Didn't archery hunt very much but enough to call in a spike last year. I let him walk but got a cool video out of it. I'm deployed now and will be during hunting season this year. I won't give you my "spots," but if you want to talk through your plan a little more specifically than you would on an open forum, I can provide my advice based off what's worked for me.

Sorry JLS I must've missed your comment between all of the mud flinging. Still interested in some critiques? I'm not entirely sure how DM works on here or I would have reached out that way.
Yep. Shoot me a PM.

The thing about the little belts is the elk are scattered. Like really scattered. There is no real funnel where you can usually find them. They just kind of go everywhere. There is certainly a lot of luck involved. Your endurance will be your best friend.

How severe is this fire? I see that it continues to grow, just curious if there is anyone local that can speak to the intensity

hammered, that area gets lots of pressure, but even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while ;)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back