Little Belt Mountains Honey Holes

Estimator86

Gotcha!

I have been e scouting the crap out of the little belts and have been going back and forth on several scenarios. Can someone with local or firsthand knowledge answer some questions in DM to see if I'm on the right track? I really can't offer much in return except a young back for a pack out!

*Edited to help the illiterate guys here that think that I am asking for a handout

Last edited:
I suppose it can't hurt, the little belts are hammered hard enough as it is. These are all for archery season. I have been eyeing several areas around Thunder Mountain, Big Baldy Mountain, and Sheep Mountain. I can go into detail if someone wants via DM. My main concerns are hunting pressure and whether or not elk are in the area. This is my first dedicated elk hunt, so I plan on learning a lot as I head out there this weekend, but if I could get one of these places eliminated beforehand it sure would help me out.

I suppose it can't hurt, the little belts are hammered hard enough as it is. These are all for archery season. I have been eyeing several areas around Thunder Mountain, Big Baldy Mountain, and Sheep Mountain. I can go into detail if someone wants via DM. My main concerns are hunting pressure and whether or not elk are in the area. This is my first dedicated elk hunt, so I plan on learning a lot as I head out there this weekend, but if I could get one of these places eliminated beforehand it sure would help me out.

You're right there in GF. close enough to scout it.

Keep in mind thousands of people are eyeing this thread so any information you gain here also gets passed on to everyone else. Just thinking of the folks who already hunt this area.

I agree. And I'm not looking for "huge bulls here". More like "noticed a lot of hunting pressure off divide road" or "elk won't be that high, thats more like mountain goat terrain". Anything to help me narrow down my focus. DM please

Short cutting the work are we? Wow The belts are ruined because of loose lips and people who want to be hero's to someone they don't even know! Please wise up people, before there is NOTHING left!

The only way to figure it out is go out there and look, and hike, and scout, and hunt. That's how I do it, there's no shortcuts to hard work and earning an elk.....

Shhh. I'm spending 8 days alone up there for archery. I think I'd like to stay alone, but don't think I will be. Can't be worse than the Crazies, though.

Haven't been into the area on foot yet, but I've done a lot of e-scouting, read studies on habitat use, got some good info on outfitter, campground, and ATV use, and have come up with 8+ plans from 3 camps. Really hoping I don't have to change camps, though.

And as much as I'd like to get a hot tip and land in the elk immediately, I think it'll be more rewarding this way.

That being said, I wouldn't mind hunting with somebody that's actually killed an elk before.

Short cutting the work are we? Wow The belts are ruined because of loose lips and people who want to be hero's to someone they don't even know! Please wise up people, before there is NOTHING left!
It’s not like the Little Belts have been a secret for the last 13 years.

There is a ton of elk in the Little Belts and Crazy Mtn. I hunted Region 3 for six years and have restarted hunting in regions 4/5. No wolves or big bears, and you can use the pressure to your advantage

There is a ton of elk in the Little Belts and Crazy Mtn. I hunted Region 3 for six years and have restarted hunting in regions 4/5. No wolves or big bears, and you can use the pressure to your advantage
Lots and lots of big bears in parts of Region 4 and Region 5. There’s starting to be a few in the Little Belts.

Lots and lots of big bears in parts of Region 4 and Region 5. There’s starting to be a few in the Little Belts.

Can confirm big bears in region 5- have friends with video of them on the Boulder. FS said there were a bunch seen around Red Lodge, too (over a dozen last year).

Can confirm big bears in region 5- have friends with video of them on the Boulder. FS said there were a bunch seen around Red Lodge, too (over a dozen last year).
There’s grizzlies all over the Beartooths, especially up the Boulder. There’s a very high concentration of grizzlies along the Beartooth front south and east of Red Lodge too, including out in to the prairie.

Nothing raises hackles around here like asking for help, lol. Blake makes a good point though. You can hit the Little Belts with a rock from Great Falls. Go break in your boots.

my bud exploded his bow attempting to shoot a grouse in the LB. We got out that night, drove to GF the next morning and were back hunting that afternoon haha!

Back