Limited vs. General

lastmountainman

Ok, I know that I'm new to hunting out west, so i'm sorry for the stupid questions.
First, what is the big different between a limited tag and a general tag. I see that the general tag is good in Wyoming for the entire region. Also it appears in Montana that a General is good for the entire state.
So with limited tags, I don't see the benefit. I must be missing something big.

Second question. In Montana I called the regional office for the Missouri breaks. When I spoke to the lady I was told that I could draw a general\combo license with ok odds, but getting the permit would be tough. My question is, if I draw a combo license but don't draw a permit, where can I hunt. What good is a license if you don't get the permit to hunt in the area. Sorry for these two dumb questions, but trying to understand this for my dad's sake as well as mine. Thanks.

Lastmountainman.

I can address the WYoming Question.

Each unit for deer is either a unit or Region tag. the unit tags are usually harder to draw, and require more preference points. If you draw a region tag you may hunt the units within that region When the season for that Unit is open. There is a chart in the regs that detail the projected opening day for each unit. Clear as mud?

Ok, I know that I'm new to hunting out west, so i'm sorry for the stupid questions.
First, what is the big different between a limited tag and a general tag. I see that the general tag is good in Wyoming for the entire region. Also it appears in Montana that a General is good for the entire state.
So with limited tags, I don't see the benefit. I must be missing something big.

Second question. In Montana I called the regional office for the Missouri breaks. When I spoke to the lady I was told that I could draw a general\combo license with ok odds, but getting the permit would be tough. My question is, if I draw a combo license but don't draw a permit, where can I hunt. What good is a license if you don't get the permit to hunt in the area. Sorry for these two dumb questions, but trying to understand this for my dad's sake as well as mine. Thanks.

Lastmountainman.

A general tag in MT is NOT "good for the entire state"...it is good for any unit that is not on a draw. Big difference there.

A general tag allows you to hunt in any general (non-draw) unit. The draw units require permits. The entire Missouri Breaks area is on a draw, so you will need a permit to hunt any of those units.

PS: If you're looking to shoot a bull, don't bank on drawing a Missouri Breaks tag. Some of the toughest draw odds in the state.

So with limited tags, I don't see the benefit. I must be missing something big.QUOTE]

Limited quota tags are hard to draw because they are desirable due to trophy quality, and the state wants to manage a particular area for trophy quality. In some cases, an area might be made a limited quota area due to sever hits to the animal population. I have heard Wyoming is considering this for some areas because of extreme winter kill in the south and west of the state.

In some areas of Wyoming (82 as an example) the unit is limited quota from 15-31OCT, but can still be hunted with a general tag from 01-15OCT. The reason this area becomes limited quota later in the season is that large numbers of migrating deer move into the area from the high country, making for a great opportunity at big bucks that have been hiding out in the black timber during the general season.

Alot of us, including me have been in your shoes at some point, so IMO no real stupid questions.

A general tag allows you to hunt in any general (non-draw) unit. The draw units require permits. The entire Missouri Breaks area is on a draw, so you will need a permit to hunt any of those units.

PS: If you're looking to shoot a bull, don't bank on drawing a Missouri Breaks tag. Some of the toughest draw odds in the state.

Since this is the DEER forum, I will assume he was not talking elk. Nearly all of the "Breaks" is General for deer.

Yes I am talking about deer for this year, but thanks for the heads up about the elk. I think I understand the limited vs. general for Wyoming hunting. So here is another question about Wy. I have one pp for antolope. Does that stay with only antolope draws, or can I use that for a deer draw or even a elk draw?
As for Montana i guess that I still don't understand. If i draw a deer license, but don't draw a permit, then I can only hunt units that are not limited. If this is the case, then I need to really read thru each unit to see where we could hunt or not. Thanks again for not making me sound like a stupid bunny hugger:)

Preference points are species specific. A point for antelope can't be used for deer.

In Montana the bulk of the state can be hunted on a general tag for deer. There are only a few limited draw areas. Unless you have a specific area that you are wanting to hunt that is a limited draw then I would just buy the general tag and go hunt. You can't use it in the limited draw units, but you can everywhere else.

Lots of good advised. Here is what I'm thinking. We put in for the Region Y general deer tags in Wyoming along a general deer tag in Montana. Is 704 and 705 in Montana open to general tags or are they limited. I seem to understand Wyomings web site alot more than I do Montana's. In any case, hope to draw at least one tag. If we should happen to draw both tags then we have set aside enough days to hunt both areas and it's not that far apart from each other. Again this would be our first mule deer hunt we have ever been on. What do you all think.

Lastmountainman,

My .02. For deer in Montana, except region 270 and possibly a couple others around it the special permit is in place because of low numbers and to build a herd back up more than because of high demand for trophy quality. The biggest bucks in Montana with the exception of unit 270 come out of general units.
That's painting with a broad brush and will not be true of all special draws but is generally true.

Elk hunting is a whole nother ball game. Most of the bigger bulls in MT come from limited draw areas. Not that there are not monsters in the general units, its just that they are much fewer and farther between.

You WILL draw the region Y tag this year in Wy.Not sure about deer only tag in Mt. as far as draw odds.If you went for the combo tag in Mt,good for elk and deer,you would draw that this year too.I believe the Mt. units you asked about are open to the general deer hunt
also, check and see if you can draw region Y as 2nd choice.this way you can build points for deer and still hunt every year.You only use or lose points if you draw 1st choice on your application.This way in 4-5 years you can have enough points for a better quality deer hunt in Wy
For the $$, I'd get a general combo in Mt. and hunt both elk and deer.Instead of 2 deer hunts in Wy, and Mt.Montana has long seasons and deer hunting in the rut.You WILL get a deer in Mt. if you get off the roads and look around,and theres tons of Block Management to hunt.If you really want to do 2 deer hunts, I'd put in for region R as 1st choice and Y as 2nd.from all I hear, R is a better deer hunt,and next to region Y.If I'm not mistaken, Y always has left over deer tags so you would draw it 2nd choice and gain a point.Either way, muley hunting is alot of fun and I'm sure you'll have a great time

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaDon
Back