Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

My FWP Hunter Survey

Am I the only one that has no idea how many days I hunt???? It’s Montana!? There’s land and animals everywhere? I keep my rifle/bow and orange in my truck all season long!? If I said “every day” they literally want to know what units and was it deer or elk I was hunting every day…!? Idk whatever jumps out at me?! “Did you see any wolves?” Not long enough to shoot at em!
“Okay what units?”
“Uhhmmm 309 314 311 312 320 317 393 391 390 392 315 370 380.. ya know just whatever’s close by!”
“Okay and how many days in each of those units?”

1712151328592.gif

Some of you guys act like you've never watched Montana Wardens.

MT call surveys are a joke. They say the information they get is statistically significant and accurate. How would they know of it was accurate? They have nothing to compare it to.

They also use it to develop the population models. Haha

Some of you guys act like you've never watched Montana Wardens.

MT call surveys are a joke. They say the information they get is statistically significant and accurate. How would they know of it was accurate? They have nothing to compare it to.

They also use it to develop the population models. Haha
Is there any other state that use harvest success in the equation to figure out estimated populations?

Why is mandatory harvest reporting not required for more species?
I asked this question at the Region 5 season setting meeting, and the answer was that they statistically don't think there is any difference, and they also think it would be difficult to implement. Seems to me a couple more buttons on the e-tag app would fix the problem, but what do I know?

Am I the only one that has no idea how many days I hunt???? It’s Montana!? There’s land and animals everywhere? I keep my rifle/bow and orange in my truck all season long!? If I said “every day” they literally want to know what units and was it deer or elk I was hunting every day…!? Idk whatever jumps out at me?! “Did you see any wolves?” Not long enough to shoot at em!
“Okay what units?”
“Uhhmmm 309 314 311 312 320 317 393 391 390 392 315 370 380.. ya know just whatever’s close by!”
“Okay and how many days in each of those units?”

View attachment 321417
Sounds like support for pick a weapon pick a unit. 😆

I asked this question at the Region 5 season setting meeting, and the answer was that they statistically don't think there is any difference, and they also think it would be difficult to implement. Seems to me a couple more buttons on the e-tag app would fix the problem, but what do I know?

The science behind sampling the world of statistics is very salient and has been very reliable. I can't seem to find it, but when I questioned a former biologist about mandatory reporting they forwarded me a study showing the superiority of random sampling.

That said, you can also find interesting rebuttals out there - that basically the mediums and human use/reaction of those mediums historically used now have significantly more noise in the signal than they once did, and that, combined with the latency in collecting the data (5 months after the fact, you are being asked questions about something you did over the course of 3 months), I think a compelling case can be made that what they are getting is bunk. The OP and subsequent comments are exhibit A.

I have been called 3 times by FWP this year for hunter harvest information. I do not answer numbers I don't know on my phone (the caller ID does NOT say FWP). The minute I have seen the voicemail, I have called the numbers back and no one answers - probably already on to the next number on their list. Of course a statistical model could attempt to take into consideration the frequency of these types of occurrences, but how well?

Technology could be used to skin this cat half a dozen ways from Sunday, better than is currently being done.

last year was the first year of my life i punched more than one tag. I happened to fill deer, elk, antelope, and bear tags this year and didnt even hear from the survey.

Itd save a lot of time and volunteering to mandate an e tag harvest (phone or computer) before meat and antlers can be taken.

Some states back east do their survey's, which are mandatory reporting, on the computer. At the end of the season, tag holders are required to go onto a site and complete the survey. If they do not complete the survey, that person cannot apply for a tag the next year. Everyone has a phone or a computer, or both so completeting surveys should be pretty simple for folks to do on-line. I think that it would make a more complete and accurate survey because it would give the sportsman a chance to look at his regulations so they can be certain they got the districts they hunted in correct, and give them a chance to think about how many days they hunted and other relevant information.

I think I would much rather fill out a survey doing it in this fashion. I think for me it would be more accurate and complete. It would eliminate any error's that might be made by the caller hired by FWP when they are doing the phone survey also. What do you folks think? I certainly think it would be simpler for FWP to catalog and record the survey information also and be more accurate for them also.

Some states back east do their survey's, which are mandatory reporting, on the computer. At the end of the season, tag holders are required to go onto a site and complete the survey. If they do not complete the survey, that person cannot apply for a tag the next year. Everyone has a phone or a computer, or both so completeting surveys should be pretty simple for folks to do on-line. I think that it would make a more complete and accurate survey because it would give the sportsman a chance to look at his regulations so they can be certain they got the districts they hunted in correct, and give them a chance to think about how many days they hunted and other relevant information.

I think I would much rather fill out a survey doing it in this fashion. I think for me it would be more accurate and complete. It would eliminate any error's that might be made by the caller hired by FWP when they are doing the phone survey also. What do you folks think? I certainly think it would be simpler for FWP to catalog and record the survey information also and be more accurate for them also.
I mean - my E tag is punched, includes the exact GPS coordinates, and could include all kinds of other things (point count, estimated/confirmed age). I don't even see why its really necessary to survey those who use Etags.

I mean - my E tag is punched, includes the exact GPS coordinates, and could include all kinds of other things (point count, estimated/confirmed age). I don't even see why its really necessary to survey those who use Etags.
Nope, not true.

FWP does not store any GPS coordinates or other personal information

By Montana law, no GPS location data will be shared with Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks.

Generally, that's how extreme liberals refer to constitutions.

Im glad it's there.
Me too, 5th amendment could be a problem for the FWP if they collected GPS coordinates provided by sportsmen using E-tags.

Is that a liberal idea? Asking for a friend.

study showing the superiority of random sampling.
I am inclined to embrace data from random sampling but the real problem FWP has is their questions are aimless. Do they really want to know what success rates or hunter effort was by unit or just pay a calling service to bother hunters?

I like the idea of mandatory reporting requirement, maybe making it as simple making a call or online report within 7 days with unit #, sex of harvest (maybe point total for males), private/public, and # of days hunted.

I don’t think the our right to privacy has to be political, it’s all but guaranteed! I’m really glad to hear they can’t collect locations (especially when it comes to my honeyholes!) That sort of thing would surely cause a revolt in our community.

I am inclined to embrace data from random sampling but the real problem FWP has is their questions are aimless. Do they really want to know what success rates or hunter effort was by unit or just pay a calling service to bother hunters?

I like the idea of mandatory reporting requirement, maybe making it as simple making a call or online report within 7 days with unit #, sex of harvest (maybe point total for males), private/public, and # of days hunted.

I don’t think the our right to privacy has to be political, it’s all but guaranteed! I’m really glad to hear they can’t collect locations (especially when it comes to my honeyholes!) That sort of thing would surely cause a revolt in our community.
As it stands they ask for what section and drainage you took a bear or lion from. I don't know why they couldn't narrow down to at least the unit or maybe even drainage and a public/private split as you suggested for other game animals.

I like the idea of rehauling the questions they ask and when they ask them. Make them closer to when hunting season occurred. I almost never get asked what the species of deer I harvest was, I usually have to volunteer that information, unprompted.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back