Like Father Like Son

idahobonecollector

So I figured I would share my story about my first bull elk. My dad drew on this elk hunt that allowed him to hunk elk for the two weeks after archery season and before rifle season here in Idaho. This is right during the rut and elk are going crazy. My dad drew on this hunt back in 1994 and I was just 11 years old. Our family is the type that shoot for meat more than antlers. He took off on his hunt with his two buddies that tagged along to call and to film. He had an itchy trigger finger and wanted to shoot the spike that was a mere 65 yards away. His friends told him that if he shot they would have to shoot him. Long story short he shot this fantastic bull around 8:30 a.m. on October 10th 1994 with his Ruger .300 win mag.

Dad's bull.jpg

My dad, two brothers, and myself put in for this hunt every year and finally 13 years later I draw out on the same hunt. I was busy with college and couldn't get much archery elk hunting in with my dad but my dad almost lived on the mountain during archery season and had the elk pinned down just couldn't connect. I made it out with him a few times and we got into the elk archery hunting. Then came my controlled hunt which allowed me to go out with my rifle while everyone else was home planning for the upcoming rifle season. Opening day we got into the elk and started chasing them from canyon to canyon and just as we peaked to the top of the next canyon we saw the herd climbing the opposite canyon 200 yards away. I put the cross hairs on the lead bull and pulled the trigger. On October 10th 2007 at 8:34 am using the same Ruger .300 win mag. my dad used I shot my first bull elk. This was such a great experience and was glad to have shared it with my dad.

dustinelk.jpg

Great story!

Ironically, I shot my first whitetail on Oct 10 `94. So, I can say that I remember the day your dad shot his first elk! :D However mine was a spike! :eek:

Nice pics! Congrats on the first bull! It is definitely cool that you used the same gun for the same controlled hunt.

I can't wait to shoot my first bull, but I should probably stop putting in for cow tags! :)

Great pics....thanks for sharing. My son is just 6, and I cannot wait until he is sitting behind a big set of antlers like you, and writing about sharing hunting experiences with his dad.

Great pics....thanks for sharing. My son is just 6, and I cannot wait until he is sitting behind a big set of antlers like you, and writing about sharing hunting experiences with his dad.

My son is 18 months old right now and I can't wait to share experiences like this with him as well. My wife is not a hunter but she loves how hunting brings my brothers and parents together.

Congrats to you both on the bulls. Both the 10th and with the same rifle. Thats awesome but who gets to hunt with the lucky rifle now? Be pretty cool if your son is able to take his first bull with it.

Congrats to you both on the bulls. Both the 10th and with the same rifle. Thats awesome but who gets to hunt with the lucky rifle now? Be pretty cool if your son is able to take his first bull with it.

My dad actually gave me the rifle as a gift and that will be my plan to let my son take his first bull with the lucky rifle :)

Wow, that is a great pair! There isn't much better than getting to make those memories with family.

Back