lightweight mt rifle

bnkwnto

Im wanting to buy a new lightweight (6lbs or so without scope), stainless, synthetic, bolt action rifle to hunt Sheep, Blackbear, Caribou and Mountain Goat with in AK. I have a 338wm for dedicated Moose and Grizzly hunts so I'm not worried about that. I don't handload yet and I want a flat shooting caliber. I strive to keep shots on game animals under 400 yards.

I currently have a Win model 70 270wsm and ruger 300wm but both are little too heavy for extended back-pack hunting. I'm looking to use this new rifle to replace the 270wsm and the 300wm. I can't afford to go custom so what factory rifle and caliber to you guys recommend?

I'm considering buying a Tikka 270wsm, 300wm or 300wsm but I'm listening if you have a better choice. I thought about the 300 Ultra mag but ultra mag and lightweight shouldn't be in the same sentence:confused:. I'm deployed until Oct or so I have time to do research.

Thanks for the help.

I just picked up a .308 Tikka T-3 Super Light (fluted barrel) in stainless that weights 5.5 lbs. It's not as light as a Kimber Montana but the price to weight ratio was too good to pass up.

Last edited:
A couple of alternatives, both of which I like in theory better, to the Tikka is the Sako A7 and Kimber Montana. Reason I like them is that they are sized for the short action rounds, the Tikka uses the same length action whethers its a 223 or a 300 Win Mag. IMO, the Kimber has a whole lot in it's favor and would be what I'd get (and hope to someday). Plus, it's the lightest of the three options I listed. The WSM is just a shade over 6#, but if you can live with a regular 270, the Kimber MT will be lighter than 5# and if you can live with either a 7-08 or 308 it'll be closer to 5# sans scope. Since you don't shoot over 400yds and don't handload I'd look at either the 308 or 270 in that order. But, if you have $3500 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd look strongly at a New Ultra Light Arms rifle from Melvin Forbs. Same chambering suggestions as before. At least that's my two pennies worth...

Don't have much to contribute on the gun deal other than heard good things about Tikkas, but want to thank you for your service to our country. Safe safe.

I love my Remington 700 1st generation Ti in 30-06. It's topped with a fixed Leup 6x36, and I've not wanted more.

I like the ADL configuration in the 1st generation Ti's compared to what's out there now.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look at a Remington Mtn Rifle or a Tikka T3 in 270 or 30-06 and hunt.

I have a tika t-3 in 300wsm. Love it. Have been carrying it now for a couple seasons. Specs say in comes in at 6lbs 4oz.

What about restocking the .270WSM, aluminum one piece ring/bases, lightweight scope, have the barrel and bolt fluted?

Thanks so far.

Right now the top contender on my list is a tikka t3 lite or super lite but I don't think the superlite comes in the WSM calibers. I love the 270WSM but I doubt game would ever know the difference in 200fps difference. I thought about moving up to a 300 or 300wsm to help anchor goats and black bears buy I'm not sure it's worth it.

Devon - I had one x-bolt 204 before and I just didn't like the bolt cycled compared to other rifles

Summitthunting- I'm sure that it would cost me more to lighten my win mod 70 then to just buy a new rifle. I have no idea of who in Alaska I could get to do that and the actual price?

Spitz- I'll probably use my Leupould vx 2 scope with the lrd reticle 3-9x40 that's on my current 270wsm so I would like to keep the price of the rifle under $1800 at the top end. I'd rather spent my money on cub time.

1-pointer- I'll have to check on the Sako A7 and Kimber Montana. I've heard a lot of bad press about the older kimbers. I also need to really look into the remington TI model. It's mostly discontinued so I'd be stuck trying to buy a gun sight unseen from gunbrokers or somewhere else online.

Thanks for the help so far. Keep the recommendations coming in.

I've been planning to pick up a Kimber Montana 308 for a lightweight for a while now. I've been seeing very little bad press of late with them and think most of the kinks have been worked out. Finding an original Remington Ti would be about the only other option for myself.

I've been planning to pick up a Kimber Montana 308 for a lightweight for a while now.

I was looking at the their website the other day and noticed that they didn't have .308 listed under calibers for the Montana any more. Anybody know if they stopped chambering them in .308?

I was looking at the their website the other day and noticed that they didn't have .308 listed under calibers for the Montana any more. Anybody know if they stopped chambering them in .308?

Don't scare me like that. I've been putting off that purchase for way too long as it is. I think its finally getting bought this fall.

I looked at the savage but it doesn't look it is offered in a stainless rifle with a synthetic stock. Some of my hunts are in Prince William Sound or on Kodiak (salt water), plus it rains a lot in Aug and Sept in Alaska.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back