Levi Strauss CEO takes a side on gun control:

Moral marketing is probably a better term, simply because woke capitalism seems to only encompass the left, the NRA debacle, our last presidential election (both sides), Fox News, etc all demonstrate that moral outrage in general is being harnessed to generate value. This is nothing new... think Mad Men.

At this point if you read or see something that gets your goat, you have to step back and try to figure out how someone is trying to capitalize on your feelings before you do anything.

Ironically, although not really, this is the first thing we teach people with regard to cyber security. Hackers have exploited social science to predict your response and many phishing attacks rely your fear to get you to click something malicious. If an email elicits an emotion and prompts an actions, it’s probably malicious.

Are you questioning the sincerity of attractive Danish model friend requests? Dang it....

Look, Rabbit!

There are so many things that need attention more than chit like this...its not even funny.

I cant believe that anyone would have the time or desire to boycott a company over things like this and the others mentioned with benchmade, yeti, etc.

If this triggers you, better get a serious grip when you find out how politicians, utility companies, pharmaceutical companies, etc. etc. etc. lobby continually against your morals, ethics, and beliefs. Doesn't take much of a sleuth to find out real fast, they're all bending you over and breaking it off in your ass every chance they get.

Makes what levi, benchmade, or yeti has supposedly done, seem like mere child's play.

But, by all means, fire up the boycott machine...again.
Point taken.
Nonetheless, when I go shopping for an item I pay attention to the politics of the retailers when they force me to.
I see no reason to line the pockets of someone who will spend that extra cash influencing pols and anyone else they can,
when I can buy a similar product and not enable their politics.
The world within which we live, eh

Moral marketing is probably a better term, simply because woke capitalism seems to only encompass the left, the NRA debacle, our last presidential election (both sides), Fox News, etc all demonstrate that moral outrage in general is being harnessed to generate value. This is nothing new... think Mad Men.

At this point if you read or see something that gets your goat, you have to step back and try to figure out how someone is trying to capitalize on your feelings before you do anything.

Ironically, although not really, this is the first thing we teach people with regard to cyber security. Hackers have exploited social science to predict your response and many phishing attacks rely your fear to get you to click something malicious. If an email elicits an emotion and prompts an actions, it’s probably malicious.

That's true, the right used moral outrage to suppress gay rights for many years (although it was a cultural taboo for the left and right before that). I honestly thought legalizing gay marriage would lead to a more "live and let live" society. Nope.

But I'd say the moral outrage machine on the right is limited in scope and influence. The NRA isn't asking for fewer civil rights, to my knowledge. I just don't see many large rightwing corporations openly and actively pushing to curtail civil rights. And when they do, they generally get punished for it (chick fil A). There's only a couple of right wing colleges so I expect the woke college campus mentality to continue to creep into large corporations. But maybe I'm just more sensitive because I lean right but almost exclusively read liberal skewing media (the atlantic, the New Yorker, slate, etc.).

Getting off topic, sorry everyone.

That's true, the right used moral outrage to suppress gay rights for many years (although it was a cultural taboo for the left and right before that). I honestly thought legalizing gay marriage would lead to a more "live and let live" society. Nope.

But I'd say the moral outrage machine on the right is limited in scope and influence. The NRA isn't asking for fewer civil rights, to my knowledge. I just don't see many large rightwing corporations openly and actively pushing to curtail civil rights. And when they do, they generally get punished for it (chick fil A). There's only a couple of right wing colleges so I expect the woke college campus mentality to continue to creep into large corporations. But maybe I'm just more sensitive because I lean right but almost exclusively read liberal skewing media (the atlantic, the New Yorker, slate, etc.).

Getting off topic, sorry everyone.
The AG of Montana was just on a financial channel this morn saying Chic-fil-a was welcome in Montana

But I'd say the moral outrage machine on the right is limited in scope and influence.

Voter ID laws, abortion, gay marriage/military services/wedding cakes, mandatory minimums, immigration, etc. all fall into this bucket. (Traditional conservative "issues")

I'm not advocating a position on any of these issues, but when a company/party is using fear or sympathy for any of these things to sell their brand they are utilizing the same strategy.

The NRA isn't asking for fewer civil rights, to my knowledge.

Same tactics just different positions.

This is the whole idea behind the echo chamber of facebook and targeted adds it doesn't seem like marketing if it fits into your world view...I say while wearing a meateater t-shirt, which my BHA hat...

And people proclaim they don't give a rats what companies they spend $... (Even if other equal quality companies exist). Even if that company states a portion of the $$$ directly opposes their position on ESA, State Wildlife Management, etc...

Eh, carry on... 🙄

That's funny...hilarious actually.

As I mentioned before, maybe I'm more sensitive to the media influence of the left because I almost exclusively read liberal leaning media. You're right though, old white conservatives stare at Fox news all day long and play with Facebook clickbait. But those old white conservatives are dying. Trump lost the popular vote. Right wing influence will fade quickly in the next 20 years.

I'll make my exit here. Thank you all!

As I mentioned before, maybe I'm more sensitive to the media influence of the left because I almost exclusively read liberal leaning media. You're right though, old white conservatives stare at Fox news all day long and play with Facebook clickbait. But those old white conservatives are dying. Trump lost the popular vote. Right wing influence will fade quickly in the next 20 years.

I'll make my exit here. Thank you all!
Is that a quote from 1974, 1992, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2016... I can't tell which 20 years that right wing was supposed to die in?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back