PEAX Equipment

Leupold VX3 or Vortex Viper

gutshootem

Hey guys wanted to get some opinions on here before I upgraded my current Nikon buckmasters scope on my model 700 7mm. This was the first gun I purchased myself and my old reliable for 20yrs so I've decided to put a couple bucks into it.

My plans so far include a B&C stock, cerakote, a new trigger and optic upgrade.
So right now I can either get a Vortex Viper 4-16X44 HS or LR at right around $400 or a Leupold VX3 4-14 for $500 at cabelas. I'd say the farthest I'll ever really shoot with this gun is 5-600 yds if that makes a difference.

The VX-3i is the better scope, a lot lighter in weight and clearer. Send Schmalts a message, I bet he could get you a VX3 at about that $400 range.

VX-3i 4.5-14x40 CDS for $400 to my door is what I got mine for from Pat(Schmatls).

Sorry forgot to mention I was looking at the Boone & Crockett reticle and the equivalent in the Vortex.
I've never shot much over 200 yds so can't imagine using the CDS all that much and prob never use the windplex. Most of my rifle hunting will be whitetails in PA with a few western trips every few years. I feel like it would be easier for me to just go with the B&C reticle and be done with it. Am I off base with this thinking?

Sorry forgot to mention I was looking at the Boone & Crockett reticle and the equivalent in the Vortex.
I've never shot much over 200 yds so can't imagine using the CDS all that much and prob never use the windplex. Most of my rifle hunting will be whitetails in PA with a few western trips every few years. I feel like it would be easier for me to just go with the B&C reticle and be done with it. Am I off base with this thinking?

If that is all you are going to use it for is 200 yard shots I would spend way less money and go 3x9.

I know the Leupold is made in the USA and is a Fresh Tracks sponsor.

Who knows where the Vortex is made and they're a Montana Wild sponsor...

Doesn't seem like a tough choice to me.

Last edited:
The resale on Leupold scopes is the best in the market and that is for a reason.

If that is all you are going to use it for is 200 yard shots I would spend way less money and go 3x9.

That's not the only thing it will be used for but that's where it will get the majority of its use. I did use the gun to take 2 antelope in WY a few yrs back and have been buying points since in several states. Also plan to do some rifle whitetail hunts in KS and NE at some point so I'll be taking farther shots now and then.
I'm just worried that the windplex and CDS is going to overcomplicate things for my use. But like I said, maybe I'm off base with that thinking???

The windplex is not a distraction nor is it complicated IMO. You don't have to implement the CDS feature if you choose not to.

Nice to see all the Leupold support around here. Some folks aren't fooled by the Vortex BS. At least not twice. mtmuley

I bought a Vortex once....once. I quickly switched back to Leupold. Some people have a lot of luck with Vortex but the scope wasn't for me.

In my opinion the CDS system is easier to use than the Boone & Crockett reticle. You will have to be on the right power when using the reticle or your holdover marks on the scope will be off (this cost my dad a really nice buck one year). With the CDS turret, you turn the turret to the correct spot and it doesn't matter what power your scope is on.

I was going to buy a vortex viper for my new rifle when I found a vx3 4.5-14 cds on sale for $100 off. I am not regretting the purchase and have bought the newer vx3i in the same power. They are Awsome scopes. A guy a work with has the viper and I got to compare the two and the Leupold is a way better scope imo. You cannot got wrong with it and predator optics is great to deal with so give him some business if you go leupold

I bought a Vortex once....once. I quickly switched back to Leupold. Some people have a lot of luck with Vortex but the scope wasn't for me.

In my opinion the CDS system is easier to use than the Boone & Crockett reticle. You will have to be on the right power when using the reticle or your holdover marks on the scope will be off (this cost my dad a really nice buck one year). With the CDS turret, you turn the turret to the correct spot and it doesn't matter what power your scope is on.

This is something that hasn't even crossed my mind. I just assumed the hash marks would always be used at top magnification since the target would be at a distance if I was using them to begin with but we all know how things go in the heat of the moment.

I have the B&C reticle in a 3.5x10, VX-3. It has been good, but the reticle is a bit light for my eyes sometimes. It has not had to be repaired yet.

I won't buy another Leupold, as there are too many failures popping up. I prefer SWFA or Bushnell Elite, now.

I prefer dependability and precision over light weight with turret spinners. With a set-and-forget, there are many good options and lots of scopes for sale used on forums. The amount of money that you want to spend dictates what goes on the gun, also.

Vortex has a good warranty, but from everything that I have read, you may well need it. Leupold has a great warranty, but more and more are having to use it. I prefer a great warranty that I don't have to use!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back