Leupold Rings?

ART_SKYD

Just looking for some advice, bought a browning x bolt Hell’s Canyon Long Range and a leupold vx-3i 4.5-14x40. Looking at dual dove tail mounts vs the backcountry mounts any preference on which is better?
9DB745AB-7E6A-4112-9494-E3F4E74D21B0.png

Also in big fin’s mounting video he lapped the rings but on leupold’s website it says no lapping required. Is this a necessary step to insuring a proper mount?

Thanks for the advice!

What round are you shooting out of the Browning?

I have a .300 win mag and I chose to use dual dovetails because of the recoil. So far, they have worked great. I've put about 100 rounds through it and it's held zero.

I like and use the Dual Dovetail bases and rings but have to buy older rings from Ebay as the current rings with the Leupold logo are just too fugly for me. Good solid system tho.

Bill

The last set I put on where dual dove tail mounts. I initially did not lap the rings per Leupold's instructions. The scope slipped after some use so I went ahead and lapped the rings. I have had no problems since.

I had the same scope and rings on my 300 WM (not a Browning), and the scope tube was too short to use those rings/bases and get the correct eye relief. Basically, the scope’s bell hit the front ring before I could move the scope back close enough to my eye to get the correct sight picture.

But, I’d guess they’ll work great for a short action like your 300 WSM

I'm a fan of the dual dove tail mounts. I have the same thing on my wife's Browning Xbolt 7mm-08. I've not tried the backcountry mounts, but they look nice.

I've used both on my Brownings. I prefer the one piece style for their simplicity. At the time there were no leupold backcountrys in stock so I went with Talley brand. Also a little cheaper. I believe they make a color matched set for the hells canyon model too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back