Talley One Piece Aluminum Rings/Bases

Have used them on my rifles and love them never an issue. Used thier customer service once also on some missing screws (Amazon order) and they took great care of me.

Last edited:
Love Talley. I have them on my X Bolt and several other guns including a 220 slug gun. I’ve never had any issues. Can’t go wrong with Talley. And if I’m not mistaken, Talley recommends that you NOT lap their rings.

Love Talley. I have them on my X Bolt and several other guns including a 220 slug gun. I’ve never had any issues. Can’t go wrong with Talley. And if I’m not mistaken, Talley recommends that you NOT lap their rings.
I’m not sure why they recommend not to lap. They can’t control variations in action dimensions or mis aligned base mounting holes. I’ve lapped talleys before and never had an issue. I do prefer to bed them to the action now also.

Talleys are the first ring/base that I look for when setting up a new rifle. Sems that the only issue that I have heard of with them is the perceived inability to hold huge scopes on lightweight rifles. Never had that issue, because I put lightweight scopes on lightweight rifles.

I’m not sure why they recommend not to lap. They can’t control variations in action dimensions or mis aligned base mounting holes. I’ve lapped talleys before and never had an issue. I do prefer to bed them to the action now also.
Also, if you lap Talley rings it will void the warranty.
I have the lightweight alloy rings on several rifles and never lapped them. They all work great and never had any issues.

Ok, I used to lap the Talleys...hell I had the tool and the mensas all said do it. Then I got to thinking...unless I'm torqueing pretty darn snug, I'm out of round strong arming the grit & lapping rod. Either way I was getting ring marks so I now follow mfg recs & no problems.

Just ordered a set for my x bolt and 4 x 14 x 40 Vortex with 1" tube. Researched way too long and determined the lows will work for me. I have read nothing but good about them and it keeps the weight down on my already light 7mm-08, Hells Canyon setup.

I will let you know if my calcs were wrong.

Good luck!!

Lapping both aligns the rings perfectly and gets you to 100% contact with the surface area of the ring and scope tube. The increased surface area also gives more surface of friction, increasing holding ability at the same ring cap torque spec. I would argue lapping is beneficiary for all 2 piece ring sets.

This is the reason premium gunsmiths like Gunwerks lap their rings.

Who cares if I void the warranty on a $40 set of rings.

They say lapping voids the warranty because #1 they don’t want to deal with people lapping them incorrectly and #2 once they’re lapped to an action they can’t really be moved to another action.

It’s the same discussion as “do pillar bedded stocks need to be epoxy bedded too?” If you want 100% contact between stock and action then yes, you’ll epoxy bed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back