New carbon fiber build

nhenry

It ain't much, but it's honest work. So far.

I was going to have my uncle thread and chamber my barrel blank, but it cost about 50 bucks cheaper to get it done at the gunsmith 20 miles away (as opposed to buying gas, renting reamers, and driving 5 hours away). The barrel's a Proof Sendero Light 1:8 chambered in 280 Ackley (SAAMI). It's threaded 5/8x24 because why not? Gunsmith did it for free.

The donor was an already-custom, blueprinted Rem 700LH in 270 Win. Came with a McMillan BDL that I hogged the channel out of with a 1" dowel wrapped in 110 grit sandpaper. Fits nearly perfect, albeit a little closer than I'd normally like.

Future plans include cerakoting the barrel metal, bottom metal, and action in copper; the bolt in black (except the cocking piece, which will be copper too). I have a McMillan Hunter's Edge Sendero (gray with black speckles and a red pad) on order that'll be here in 2-4 months (McMillan's quote).

For scope mounting I put Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and it'll be topped with a Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 I got from Schmalts.

IMG-4528.jpg

That came together pretty quick. Looks awesome. What bullet do you plan to shoot?

That came together pretty quick. Looks awesome. What bullet do you plan to shoot?
Much faster than I was planning, but still a lot to go. At least it's shoot-able now.

120 Hammer Hunters/TTSX hopefully on the low end, 169 Hammers on the high end. I have stuff in between as well

That'll look sharp when it's done. Be careful not to delaminate the carbon in your bake cycle.
I'll make sure the dude knows that. I'm going to get it done by a shop in Wichita who's certified in the koting.

Alrighty. So I was cycling rounds and I realized that the shoulders of my brass are getting scraped. Any recommendations?IMG-4545.jpg
I realize this brass was already pretty rough-- it's a dummy round.

Alrighty. So I was cycling rounds and I realized that the shoulders of my brass are getting scraped. Any recommendations?View attachment 214941
It’s more than likely a combo of the feed ramp angle and the steep AI shoulder angle also. You can smooth the edges of the ramp. I’ve actually filed/cut one a bit also. Also check to see if it’s catching on the front of the magazine box cutout.

Got a chance to bring it out at lunch today and it shoots pretty well with some stuff I had laying around. I'll get some stuff loaded tonight and take it back out tomorrow.
0-jpg.215396

unnamed.jpg
It'll shrink.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 119
Regarding the shoulder scraping, how much chamfer is on the rear of the chamber? A sharp edge there can do that.

Looks like a good start. What bullet and powder are you loading?
Those were 145 LRX over 7828SSC.

I plan on using 120 TTSX/Hammers over IMR/H 4350 if it likes it on the light end for deer/antelope, and 169 Hammers over h1000 or H4831 as my elk load. All of those shot real good when I had my other 280

Alrighty. So I was cycling rounds and I realized that the shoulders of my brass are getting scraped. Any recommendations?View attachment 214941

The scrape i'm seeing looks rotational like it occurred when opening/closing bolt. Is there more resistance in opening/closing the bolt with that ammo compared to empty chamber?

If that is the scrape you're talking about the only thing I can think of is your head spacing is short for that brass or the chamber is rough in that area. Is it virgin brass?

Last edited:
The scrape i'm seeing looks rotational like it occurred when opening/closing bolt. Is there more resistance in opening/closing the bolt with that ammo compared to empty chamber?

If that is the scrape you're talking about the only thing I can think of is your head spacing is short for that brass or the chamber is rough in that area. Is it virgin brass?
It only occurs when I push one in from the magazine, and I feel the resistance on the edge of the feed ramp when doing so. Whenever I put one in the chamber by hand and close the bolt, it doesn't make any marks and closes smoothly.

So I'm thinking it's the feed ramp and/or the magazine box. I'll put a nice chamfer on the box and smooth out the ramp to make sure

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back