Bigger advantage in a VX-3i Leupold riflescope?

Was a staunch 40mm objective is plenty guy for a long time. These days at 60 I prefer the 50mm objective. Just picked up a 4.5-14x50 vx3i for my old Ruger 7mm RM. Plain Jane duplex & 1” tube it is purely a hunting scope for 500 yards and in. The image and clarity is excellent and it does well in lower light.

I’ll play around & shoot targets out to 800 with old fashioned holdover On elk sigh in day but that is just for grins. I sight it in at 225 yards so it is point & shoot out to 325 the simpler the better. This rifle is very accurate killed 30+ deer & several elk I’m a firm believer That less thinking about the shot is better for hunting.

I finally have narrowed my scope choice for my Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter in .300 WSM that I bought last September to two Leupold VX-3i scopes. One being a 4.5-14x50 CDS-ZL2 (30 mm) Side Focus with Duplex reticle and the other the 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL2 (30mm) Side Focus with Windplex reticle. When I first bought my rifle I added a 20 MOA rail as well, but I am sure that I don't need that rail for shooting ethical hunting distances, even though it would be fun to try and hit steel at a 1000. I with the advance of many of you knowledgeable and helpful folks as well as my brother who got a mule deer in Idaho last Oct. at 400 yards with a 4-12x40 VX-Freedom with a Tri-MOA reticle, have reigned way in my thought of having to have a 18+ large end magnification scope.
Anyway my question is which would be more advantageous the larger objective with the duplex reticle or the 40 mm objective with the Windplex reticle? I know there is a 1.4 ounce weight savings with the smaller belled scope to go on my already 8.4 lb rifle.
My rifle currently has a Redfield Revenge Hunter 4-12x42 scope that is good scope (and has taken many whitetails on my brother's gun) that was on my brother's .270 before he switched it out for the VX-Freedom and gave the scope to me. I am thinking of getting one of the VX-3is and putting that scope on my .17 HMR (I know 12 power is too much for most if not all rimfires) which would be an upgrade over a hand me down Tasco. Any advice would be appreciated.
I’ve had a Vortex and looking for a Leupold Vx 3i. I liked the Vortex, just poor vision at dusk, the one I had wasn’t for me. Recommendations?

Big fan of all the Leupold scopes I've had over the years - currently running the vx3i without a CDS dial. Wish I would have paid the extra for the CDS setup because now I wish I had it! I would buy the one with the windplex reticle too instead of the duplex that I have currently.

I suspect the reticle will disappear before the advantage of the larger objective kicks in. Only one way to know for sure ..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back