Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Leupold LTO tracker

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that Leupold made this specifically for short range recovery, when it says 600 yards and has a picture of a live deer right on the ad.

How long can blood on the ground hold heat? Carcasses barely even hold heat over night.

If it's already illegal in MT, why do you care?

If it's already illegal in MT, why do you care?

Do we know that it is? Is that considered light gathering?

I hunt multiple states, not sure why Montana regulations should be the only one I care about.

Seems like customers should have the right to express a disappointment in unethical products, maybe I'm wrong.

Good shots and some skills eliminate much of the need to use this for locating "wounded" game. No matter the spin, its for finding live stuff

This device looks like a great tool for Law Enforcement, Fire and Search & Rescue. I had many times something like this would have been very useful. As for use by sportsman I see to many opportunities to be abused. Fair chase and hunter ethics would be the first casualties. I would hope that Leupold will remarket it for the public service venue and not the sportsman.
Dan

Dan O, the agencies you mentioned already have this technology, albeit extremely more advanced. As with any tech stuff, the LTO and copycats will evolve. Juse a matter of time. mtmuley

This device looks like a great tool for Law Enforcement, Fire and Search & Rescue. I had many times something like this would have been very useful. As for use by sportsman I see to many opportunities to be abused. Fair chase and hunter ethics would be the first casualties. I would hope that Leupold will remarket it for the public service venue and not the sportsman.
Dan

Having worked as a first responder in various capacities, yeah this would be useful at times and most agencies have this kind of technology on hand in various platforms. I also feel like this would be just the thing a spot-lighting poacher would love. Ive own several different leupold products and will continue to buy more, but this is a can of worms that I wish they would've left to others to open or at least marketed elsewhere.

Do we know that it is? Is that considered light gathering?

I hunt multiple states, not sure why Montana regulations should be the only one I care about.

Seems like customers should have the right to express a disappointment in unethical products, maybe I'm wrong.

I guess I'm not that worried about it. If it's not illegal, it will be. Hell we can't even use lighted nocks.

There's a bunch of stuff out there that makes the game unfair. Night vision, baiting, etc. There's a bunch more stuff that's not illegal but arguably should be. LR rifle and archery equipment. Laser rangefinders.

Point is, it's not the end of the world.

I guess I'm not that worried about it. If it's not illegal, it will be. Hell we can't even use lighted nocks.

There's a bunch of stuff out there that makes the game unfair. Night vision, baiting, etc. There's a bunch more stuff that's not illegal but arguably should be. LR rifle and archery equipment. Laser rangefinders.

Point is, it's not the end of the world.

You're likely right. Postseason pissiness meets a personal pet peeve.

If it was another company I wouldn't mind nearly as much, but Leupold has always seemed to hold themselves to a higher standard. That's my mistake.

So is everyone upset that it is marketed towards the hunting crowd or just the fact that Leupold came out it with it at all? I agree that it doesn't belong in big game hunting but it's not a weapon sight so who cares. It is not going to allow people to take more game.

The fact of the matter is that most of us hunt with technology that our grandpas would scoff at. I agree that we need to draw the line somewhere but I doubt most of you griping about this don't leave your gps, rangefinder, binos, spotter, or scoped rifle at home when you step in the woods. If getting away from technology is that important to you, then pick up a stickbow and go for it. Until that happens well all have a pretty weak argument in my opinion.

I'm in the "meh" category. Everything can be used in an illegal and unethical manner. Rifles are used to poach, yet we have them as tools for hunting.

I wouldn't buy one and I can definitely see uses for the technology both from ethical hunters and unethical ones. If you want to spot elk in timber or whitetails in riverbottoms, can't seem to find that buck hidden in a nasty hole in a coulee? Give it a go with the LTO. Want to find that buck, bull, ram you shot 30 minutes ago, that hog that ran off or who is passing gas in the blind? Use the LTO.

A lot of good points have been made. Technology continues advancing whether it's used legally is up to the consumer... radios, cell phones, game cameras, ATVs, bait, electronic calls, etc all seem to share the same risks for questionable use in the field.
Until I saw this LTO on the Leupold website I hadn't looked into thermal imaging tech, so I can't speak to the intended uses of such, but it did strike me as a not-at-all-inexpensive way to check for bears or bobcats around the hen house at night. And while camping I know my children could burn through some batteries having fun with it. I could see this taking some of the fun out of a game of paintball, but don't see how it would be an aid to me while rifle hunting (assuming it were legal).

On a side note, I'm curious whether this type of technology is being researched by the insurance industry (merging with the vehicle collision avoidance controls already being built into cars) in order to reduce deer/animal impacts? Sorry, that's not really related to the original subject...

I love new stuff, I also haven't even looked at this besides this post, and some facebook stuff. I haven't a clue on the cost, but I have better things to buy versus this LTO. If one was in my hands I would use it and maybe even think it's cool, but I don't need it. I understand the principal behind it and why it was created, good for them. Maybe it will help me get a bunch more rabbits!

Thermal imaging and light intensifying scopes have been available to the public for years. This is not new technology. I'm underwhelmed by it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back