Let’s talk chainsaws!

My old man bought a new stihl a couple years back, smaller than the farm boss. I forgot the number but that thing is great you can cut limbs one handed with ease. Go stihl or go home imo.
I’m partial to them just wanted to get some different opinions. That Echo warranty is pretty good.

A person has not lived unless they have cussed a poulan saw at some point in their life. Right of passage sort of thing.
I may or may not have thrown one out of a tree while I was a journeyman line clearance tree trimmer. The company I worked for, was running all sorts of saws and I somehow ended up with the backup climbing saw, which was a poulan, and for the life of me, could not get it started, my temper may have got the best of me as I was trying to start it and it wouldn't, so it went for a ride, the fast way to the ground.

I remember my dad cussing an old green Poulan when I was a kid. That damn thing would never run right. He trashed it and got a Stihl. That’s all we’ve ever run since then.

I may or may not have thrown one out of a tree while I was a journeyman line clearance tree trimmer. The company I worked for, was running all sorts of saws and I somehow ended up with the backup climbing saw, which was a poulan, and for the life of me, could not get it started, my temper may have got the best of me as I was trying to start it and it wouldn't, so it went for a ride, the fast way to the ground.
I’ve seen a few come out of the tree in the last ten years, only one was unintentional. Most common reason was the ground guy not putting a fuel or oil cap on correctly and the climber getting covered in one of the two.

Anyone run a Echo? Their warranty is top notch. 5 years and lifetime on the electronics.
i run an Echo 490

runs California Live Oak like a dream. bucked two 24'' oaks the other day no problem. rip cuts and cross cuts alike.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time behind a Stihl 261, 361, and 362 as well as Husky 353 and 365. Liked them all the little 261 Stihl was my favorite weight to power for a good limbing saw. I liked the H353 as well but I think I handicapped it with an 18” bar. Currently have the Husky 365 and don’t see that going away anytime soon. If I wanted something lighter I’d be perfectly happy with the Stihl 261 or the Husqvarna 353. Even though these might be a bit bigger than you’re looking for.

What about Poulan? No love for walmart saws huh.

Or cordless?

lol
I get a good laugh whenever I hear the POULAN WEEDEATER bowl around the holidays.
My first saw was a Poulan. Even as a 'firewood' saw it didn't last very long. Paid 5 bills for a
Stihl abt 15 yrs ago and it's still going strong.
Mildly intrigued by the elec echo tho

i run an Echo 490

runs California Live Oak like a dream. bucked two 24'' oaks the other day no problem. rip cuts and cross cuts alike.
I have the Echo 490 also, it’s a great saw with an 18” bar. I’ve cut lots of live oak, post oak and mesquite with it.

I have a 170 & it can cut NM oak & walnut. Great limbing & pine saw. I do not like narrow chains for heavy cutting. I use my old Huskie 55 for real cutting.
Gave a good Echo to a woodcutter buddy for back up. It was a decent saw.

As a former Park Ranger we would get every brand, bought by admin................we would use Stihl & Huskies mostly,lots of Echo small saws.
Always glad when the Poulans hit the dumpster...usually inside of a month.

I've been running a Husqvarna 455 Rancher for house and hunt and it's been great.
Disclaimer: this information shared by a former Poulan operator.

A person has not lived unless they have cussed a poulan saw at some point in their life. Right of passage sort of thing.
Wow. I feel a tad better having tolerated my 18" bing, bang, purple and green Home Depot hunt machine. Haha!

I’ve spent a fair bit of time behind a Stihl 261, 361, and 362 as well as Husky 353 and 365. Liked them all the little 261 Stihl was my favorite weight to power for a good limbing saw. I liked the H353 as well but I think I handicapped it with an 18” bar. Currently have the Husky 365 and don’t see that going away anytime soon. If I wanted something lighter I’d be perfectly happy with the Stihl 261 or the Husqvarna 353. Even though these might be a bit bigger than you’re looking for.
How does the 261 compare to the 361 in weight and handling? It’s one thing to see the # but that doesn’t always equate to how it feels in the woods.

Like I said I love that 360 but it’s just too big. I don’t want to spend 6 bills to find out that the 261 handles mostly the same, should of just kept the 360 then.

I have a 170 & it can cut NM oak & walnut. Great limbing & pine saw. I do not like narrow chains for heavy cutting. I use my old Huskie 55 for real cutting.
Gave a good Echo to a woodcutter buddy for back up. It was a decent saw.

As a former Park Ranger we would get every brand, bought by admin................we would use Stihl & Huskies mostly,lots of Echo small saws.
Always glad when the Poulans hit the dumpster...usually inside of a month.
Is it possible to swap that chain out for normal 3/8? Do you thing the saw would handle it?

I also have a MS170 amongst others. Great little saw.

One of my complaints I had about my dad’s husky was where the chain tensioner was. The 170 has it in the same spot. If it had it on the side like the 261 or my 360 I think I would give it a go. Man I hated that chain tensioner.

Back