Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Let’s talk chainsaws!

That’s what basically what I sold. Lol. Although the one I bought is not much smaller.
You were crazy to sell it, but what do I know? I like mine anyway. would not mind having a second, smaller one, but won't be giving up my 361 anytime soon.:)

You were crazy to sell it, but what do I know? I like mine anyway. would not mind having a second, smaller one, but won't be giving up my 361 anytime soon.:)
It didn’t owe us anything and after 20 years of hard use it was time to retire it. Not cutting cords of wood anymore I didn’t need that big of a saw anymore. The one I bought has plenty of power and I dropped close to two lbs. It will last me the the rest of my life.

Haven't played with the newer husq, but I cut 30 full cord of maple last year with the 345 and it never said no. It's over 10 years old as well. Gas, oil, keep her sharp, and go. There's probably better, lighter etc now now..

but if Husqvarna isn't your thing look at the shindaiwas from the 80s/90s. Mmmm

I just bought a stihl 500I fuel injected saw and it ripps, no choke, 28inch bar blows thru hardwoods
28" bar.... if I wanted to lift weights I'd go to the gym. I dont get the need for a giant ass saw... just learn to sharpen a smaller one properly and go to town.

28" bar.... if I wanted to lift weights I'd go to the gym. I dont get the need for a giant ass saw... just learn to sharpen a smaller one properly and go to town.
What is your favorite sharpening system?
Mine is the Granberg file jig.
I like the precision...can set the depth in increments of 0.01 inch...12 clicks is perfect with a 5/32 file.

Stihl MS261c-m. M-tronic works like a champ up to 10500' for me. This saw hits above its weight class.

Also have an MS462c-m, just because at the time I didn't have the extra $600 for the MS500i.
I haven't been disappointed with it either. At over 10000' elevation, it will pull a buried 28" bar with a full chisel chain in spruce and pine.

I use Milwaukee 18v for work, so my next saw will be the Milwaukee chainsaw. I used one to work on some timbers for an entry way. It worked nice.

I've been looking for an electric to leave in the vehicle for hunting season for deadfalls across the road. I don't really have a need for a real saw, but don't like cruising the backroads without one. Any recommendations? I'm thinking a 14-16in model with two batteries should handle most issues.

What is your favorite sharpening system?
Mine is the Granberg file jig.
I like the precision...can set the depth in increments of 0.01 inch...12 clicks is perfect with a 5/32 file.
I do it by sight with a round file and flat file when necessary. Thought my small saw was worthless until I bought a new chain. Then taught myself to sharpen properly. Cut 20-30 ish cord of maple last year and couldn't be happier. I have a heavier 562xp at my disposal, but just don't need it with a well sharpened and lighter 345.

I have some very large diameter trees & the larger bar really saves time when bucking

In my opinion, the best use for a long bar is bucking on the ground without wrecking your back. Short guys like me can get by with a 28" bar, but a 32" with a skip tooth chain would be even better. Obviously, for the OP's use case, a 70+ cc saw with a big bar is not warranted, but they definitely have their place. More chain equals more teeth. There is a night and day difference cutting with a big saw vs. a little one in my opinion.

I've been looking for an electric to leave in the vehicle for hunting season for deadfalls across the road. I don't really have a need for a real saw, but don't like cruising the backroads without one. Any recommendations? I'm thinking a 14-16in model with two batteries should handle most issues.
Personally, I'd get the 16" with a 12 amp, I already own a 12 amp so.
I don't think you can go wrong with what your wanting.

In my opinion, the best use for a long bar is bucking on the ground without wrecking your back. Short guys like me can get by with a 28" bar, but a 32" with a skip tooth chain would be even better. Obviously, for the OP's use case, a 70+ cc saw with a big bar is not warranted, but they definitely have their place. More chain equals more teeth. There is a night and day difference cutting with a big saw vs. a little one in my opinion.
Long bars are great for clearing brush, too.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back