Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Let’s make a deal…?

Back on topic. This is an interesting topic. What’s better to spoon feed success or let your kid learn to do it the hard way? My dad is a rancher. He never saw the point of hunting. He doesn’t like to eat wild game. But my grandpa on my moms side loved to hunt and took me a few times before he had a massive stroke. I was lucky as I could just go hunt on the ranch by myself any time I wanted which I did at the ripe old age of twelve. I bet that was safe🤷‍♂️. Needless to say I’m nuts about hunting but I always wonder if my dad would have been a nut job hunter like myself would I like it as much today or less?

I really think all you can do is show the kid what it is and they have to decide if it’s something they want to do. It’s going to shake out like that one way or the other anyway. Public land hunting in Montana has never been shittier. It’s only going to get worse as far as I can tell. Tough way to introduce a kid to hunting but it’s also reality.

Non residents are the least of your concern in montana.
Ha, my a$$. How about the nonres guys who pay 600 bucks or whatever it is for a non res deer tag, comes here, "hikes his a$$ off" (1.5 miles a day), and then shoots a 2 point because he thinks he deserves to go home with something since he spent the money and is too embarrassed to tell his friends he didnt shoot a buck. Thats more of what I see than anything.

Boom mic drop
Why don't you take your rant over to the Montana management thread that's got about 20 pages of tabs and vent over there.

This thread is about getting the future involved in the sport and looking for ideas on how to do that.

Not bitch about your piss poor success created by NR transplants.

Boom mic drop biotch.

Ha, my a$$. How about the nonres guys who pay 600 bucks or whatever it is for a non res deer tag, comes here, "hikes his a$$ off" (1.5 miles a day), and then shoots a 2 point because he thinks he deserves to go home with something since he spent the money and is too embarrassed to tell his friends he didnt shoot a buck. Thats more of what I see than anything.
Blaming someone for legally filling a tag that fwp should have never issued in the first place. What a fuggin idiot. Your problem isn't a non resident vs resident problem it's management.

Why don't you take your rant over to the Montana management thread that's got about 20 pages of tabs and vent over there.

This thread is about getting the future involved in the sport and looking for ideas on how to do that.

Boom mic drop biotch.
giphy-3.gif

Boom mic drop biotch.
Thank you…

Back on topic. This is an interesting topic. What’s better to spoon feed success or let your kid learn to do it the hard way? My dad is a rancher. He never saw the point of hunting. He doesn’t like to eat wild game. But my grandpa on my moms side loved to hunt and took me a few times before he had a massive stroke. I was lucky as I could just go hunt on the ranch by myself any time I wanted which I did at the ripe old age of twelve. I bet that was safe🤷‍♂️. Needless to say I’m nuts about hunting but I always wonder if my dad would have been a nut job hunter like myself would I like it as much today or less?

I really think all you can do is show the kid what it is and they have to decide if it’s something they want to do. It’s going to shake out like that one way or the other anyway. Public land hunting in Montana has never been shittier. It’s only going to get worse as far as I can tell. Tough way to introduce a kid to hunting but it’s also reality.
Interesting as I've never thought about it like this but my situation was near identical just replace ranch with dairy farm.

If I have any advice from dealings with my own son (5) it would be to remember that their priorities and interests aren't the same as ours. Mine is as interested in a 150 lb. doe as he is in a 180 inch buck. He's equally interested in raccoons, squirrels and bobcats. Point being sometimes the "little things" like squirrel hunting, or setting cage traps, or picking wild berries or mushrooms or shed antlers can be the most exciting things for kids. Maybe I'm telling you something you already know, maybe not... I know I have to keep it in mind myself though.

or setting cage traps,
That one slipped my mind. Fantastic idea my step son got big into it. Don't have to get up early, stay out too long and is exciting. Part thatbsucks is fur ain't worth shit, when he was young he didn't know that for every coon we caught and skinned I told him I'd take to the fur "buyer" ( couldn't sell em but I gave him $5 for each and he wasn't the wiser) @FoodIsMemories this may just be your best bet. Imo.

Interesting as I've never thought about it like this but my situation was near identical just replace ranch with dairy farm.
Certainly makes me appreciate my introduction to hunting without direction although I had no clue what I was doing I learned to love it, probably too much. It would be tough introducing kids to hunting these days. I think you have to break them in how it’s going to be going forward. They might love it or they might have other interests such as golf, golf is fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back