Caribou Gear

Let’s make a deal…?

Yeah dude that’s gonna open a whole new rabbit hole for me to get lost in, myself!! I’ve never trapped and i want to bad AF but they just changed the requirements for new trappers! I still plan on looking into getting a trappers license and then I’ll be posting on HT for someone to come show me and my son the way 😂😂😅
I'm sure there's plenty that will help with that its a dying breed most old timers I know would be eager to pass that along. Word to the wise just don't show up with that flat bill when you ask them for guidance.

I think it all comes down to the individual kid for sure, but a parent figure or family member or family friend that reinforces the passion for hunting for a kid at a young age helps a lot. My siblings and I were raised during some pretty good public land hunting times with family that were very much into hunting. I ended up becoming the most passionate about it and my siblings not as much, but some of that comes down to a kid’s personality as well.

Some kids don’t like or shy away from that pressure to make a good shot in front of someone, creating bad target panic, leading to continual bad shots, and taking the fun out it for them or causing them to want to avoid it. Other kids embrace it and strive to figure out ways to do it better. That pressure behind the trigger, especially in front of someone, can be a lot for a kid, so don’t be hard on them or make comments if a bad shot occurs, just reinforce that it is ok and that it happens to everyone and is a part of activity.

The best thing you can do in my opinion is just always bring them along, no matter how much harder it makes the hunt. Show them that it’s something you enjoy and are passionate about, and why you enjoy it, and they will probably become lifelong hunters, but their level of passion for it will vary depending on the kid and that isn’t something you can control. Start them with a BB gun shooting small game, move to a .22 for varmints, instill a love for the outdoors.

That being said, I am worried about trying to get my kids into it with the current state of Montana’s public land hunting. I will strive to create a love for the other aspects of it though such as the hiking, the camping, being in the woods, bushcrafting, fishing, etc., so that it isn’t all about seeing and killing an animal.

Long winded, just my thoughts

I think it all comes down to the individual kid for sure, but a parent figure or family member or family friend that reinforces the passion for hunting for a kid at a young age helps a lot. My siblings and I were raised during some pretty good public land hunting times with family that were very much into hunting. I ended up becoming the most passionate about it and my siblings not as much, but some of that comes down to a kid’s personality as well.

Some kids don’t like or shy away from that pressure to make a good shot in front of someone, creating bad target panic, leading to continual bad shots, and taking the fun out it for them or causing them to want to avoid it. Other kids embrace it and strive to figure out ways to do it better. That pressure behind the trigger, especially in front of someone, can be a lot for a kid, so don’t be hard on them or make comments if a bad shot occurs, just reinforce that it is ok and that it happens to everyone and is a part of activity.

The best thing you can do in my opinion is just always bring them along, no matter how much harder it makes the hunt. Show them that it’s something you enjoy and are passionate about, and why you enjoy it, and they will probably become lifelong hunters, but their level of passion for it will vary depending on the kid and that isn’t something you can control. Start them with a BB gun shooting small game, move to a .22 for varmints, instill a love for the outdoors.

That being said, I am worried about trying to get my kids into it with the current state of Montana’s public land hunting. I will strive to create a love for the other aspects of it though such as the hiking, the camping, being in the woods, bushcrafting, fishing, etc., so that it isn’t all about seeing and killing an animal.

Long winded, just my thoughts
I appreciate the time you took to write this, first and foremost!! I completely agree with you, it’s visible that one of my kids seem more interested than the other. The older son still wants new camo and stuff so I know inside he is still interested deep down. After positing this, he’s also told me he thinks it would be really fun to go out with a 22 for rabbits and squirrels and stuff.. he’s shot my old .22 sentinel a handful of times and he’s very skilled with his BB gun, taking it upon himself to get in the best position possible for his (paper) target. Like laying prone and showing his little brother how to get comfortable. I never showed him that, he’s never been with me on a successful hunt where I had to lay prone or find a comfortable safe shot. he just sees it on tv with me! I was impressed! Also I’m on the same page about feeling the need to reinforce that passion, even if he doesn’t get into it right away. Because that’s what my father did for me. It wasn’t until adulthood that I MADE the decision to become an every-year all-things hunter and IMO that would have never even been a thought without the early reinforcement as a child!
I did not grow up in a hunting community i grew up in a gangbanging and crime filled community with an outdoorsman dad. The opportunities for me to fall in love with the outdoors did not come until much later in life because of the environment and difficulty to reach the mountains at that time. We did a lot of fishing though since it was close.
I’m raising my kids in a much different environment but with a similar attitude as my dad, the caveat being we ARE in a hunting community and the mountains ARE close now, so I can insist he partake in the experience regularly, not just every few years or something like I did.

Perhaps the constant pestering annually is what’s created the barrier, whereas when I was told we’re finally going to the forest, I was excited, because it was a real adventure; not just the “back yard”.

There’s a chance my youngest will be the hunter-gatherer and my oldest will be the pencil pusher that don’t like killing em- just eating em. Regardless, I intend to provide all the information and support to see them be successful if they so choose in the future. They love foraging for berries and fishing, so hunting im sure will be more of a passion as it becomes more relevant for them personally. Not just following dad.
I appreciate you @Ought Six you’ve given me something to think about.

FiM I meant to share this the other day. Me and my boy ran box traps for a few days before Christmas... this ugly little joker was a lot of fun, scared the bejeezus out of my son when it started growling.

Attachments

• IMG_20221225_103623.jpg
    IMG_20221225_103623.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back