Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Legit ATV use?

Lawnboy, the other thing I've noticed is when the illegal users get a track established, the rest of the atv crowd uses it and pleads ignorance when confronted. I can tell you from experience, most of them don't like posing for photos! A GPS, a cell phone and a digital camera are great tools for catching these people. mtmuley

Hmm legitimate? I don't see too many guys out there hunting on atv's because they truly have some kind
of impedimant. Many of them just don't want to get their shiny new trucks dirty or scratched up.
Most of them are just fat lazy slob hunters who don't care how much game they scare away, but what
bothers me the most is how they tear up the countryside.

I've seen plenty abusing it. I used on a hunt in Wyoming where we could get to a walk in gate that big trucks couldn't get to due to some tight turns and off camber with rocks and when it rained and the roads turned to goo a 4 wheeler did much better than a full size truck. For this the 4 wheeler worked great and we got checked by the warden to make sure we had our Wyoming ATV sticker which we did buy every year. Only problem was you got dirty with mud and froze every morning until you started hiking. Decided a Jeep truck with lockers and front and rear winch would work much better since I was on legal roads anyway (though not always improved or maintained) and could drive to hunting instead of hauling a trailer. I got rid of the old 4 wheeler and got a two up that sees mainly plow work and to take the kids for summer jaunts.

Pete

Attachments

• photo-34.JPG
    photo-34.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
There are quite a few ATV specific trails in Montana with 48" width restrictions to keep side by sides and full size vehicles off them. I ride those in the summer for fun, but haven't ever been on one for hunting.

In Wyoming I've been on a few "roads" that would have been close to impassable with a full sized vehicle. The biggest advantage to using ATV's is the time that you can save on those type of roads. You can go 15 - 20 mph pretty easy on an ATV on a road that you would be lucky to go 5 mph on in a full size vehicle. If you need to travel 10 miles on a really poor road to get to the spot you want to start hunting you could be saving hours by time you figure in the round trip getting there and back each day.

I can't imagine trying to run a full size vehicle up the Morrison Jeep Trail switchbacks to get up on the Plateau. What takes about 30 minutes on an ATV would take nearly all day in a full size Jeep. Some people run Rangers and Razors up it, but even those would be tight.

Not sure how much help my ATVs will be on my mountain goat hunt this year, but I'll have them available if we need to use them to access some areas where the roads are otherwise unfriendly to full size vehicles.

I'd be embarrassed to drive around on public land with one in the back of my truck, honestly.

Maybe it's the embarrassment that pushes them off the roads in the first place. ;)

I've had some heated confrontations with guys who were on quads (and trucks) in areas they weren't supposed to be. I've considered the "backwoods tuneup" on some violators that really chapped me. I've taken pictures and reported (no action) and I've tried to ignore them or use them to my advantage. I'm not real happy about their existence in areas I hunt and it lessens the pleasure of the hunt for me when there are quads buzzing all over hell.

That said, I've considered buying a used one if I find a good enough deal and can get over my feeling of hypocrisy. My knees aren't getting in any better shape and I'd just as soon ride legally to the area I'm going to walk in then risk beating up my truck or legs some extra miles.

Those pictures from dinkshooter show the problem with the atv "hunters" they go where the are not
supposed to be. They ride there because they are not willing to put in the effort required. Again LAZY
SLOB hunters who don't care if they tear up the country or scare away game.
I found a spring up in the Ruby's of NV about 50 feet off a good dirt road where some AHOLE on an atv
had to do donuts in the spring for the heck of it. It's those that give atv users a bad rap.

I use ATV's every year for hunting. I run roads that any pickup can go on... ATV just handles the bad roads way better and safer (less things breaking) than a pickup. As an ATV user, it frustrates the heck outa me when I see guys going off road and all the other bad stuff people can and will do.

Basically I ride-- get to where I want to start hiking, and then take off from there.

double_a85 is a great example of what a responsible atv owner is. I wish more peole were like that.
I have no problem with them as long as they stay on the roads or designated atv trails.

I don't have a ATV but I got a side by side this year on trade. I have put several hundred mile on it already checking trail cams. I can put my kids in the rear seat and go, to me the biggest advantage is fuel mileage in the woods. I spent almost 6 hours 40 miles Saturday with the family checking my cams and used 1.6 gallons of fuel. I am not sure I am suppose to ride it down the main forest service roads but I do, I have taken it off road but not on USFS land yet. The wife and kids enjoy riding in it so it makes it easier to get them in the woods.

The UTV is quicker and better on rough roads, unless they have really big rocks, but I find that most of the time I would rather take my Nissan Xterra because all of my gear doesn't get covered in dust when I go in it. I prefer to walk when I hunt and have on many occasions thought about accidentally mistaking some off/closed road ATV'ers to be elk and pinning them to trees with an arrow. Not much more frustrating than hiking several miles into a closed area and having a ATV come blazing past you.

My old man has one. He's 81 and still hunts elk. More power to him, as long as he stays on open roads and his own farm. As for me, I've got better things to spend money on. Like any tool, it's only as good as the fellow at the controls. I have little mercy for folks who use them to "cut to the front of the line," so to speak.

I love my ATV. I resisted for years, but when I finally broke down and got it I have been happy with it. I never take it anywhere it's not allowed. I have horses and use them too. Whatever it takes to legally get me where I want to go. I also use it to save hard miles on the big rig. It's way easier and faster to ATV it on a bad road than having to baby the expensive truck. We even got tracks for ours. They will really get you in when the snow gets deep on those roads that are open but too snowed in for a wheeled rig.

Single biggest reason I go strait to the wilderness areas. I liken them to crossbows in my home state. They put more lazy people in the woods. With that being said this is America and if it is legal I respect it just don't like the noise in the backcountry. I thought the west was supposed to be wild until I started traveling there. Many quiet nights ruined by them. Sorry just me.

Single biggest reason I go strait to the wilderness areas. I liken them to crossbows in my home state. They put more lazy people in the woods. With that being said this is America and if it is legal I respect it just don't like the noise in the backcountry. I thought the west was supposed to be wild until I started traveling there. Many quiet nights ruined by them. Sorry just me.

Wouldn't lazy people choose a rifle over a crossbow?

Ditto

I use ATV's every year for hunting. I run roads that any pickup can go on... ATV just handles the bad roads way better and safer (less things breaking) than a pickup. As an ATV user, it frustrates the heck outa me when I see guys going off road and all the other bad stuff people can and will do.

Basically I ride-- get to where I want to start hiking, and then take off from there.

DITTO
I drive out from Michigan to Elk hunt, and I use a ATV, 1700 miles from home I don't need to tear up my Truck, so I use my ATV, on open mountain roads and open ATV trails, and then hike from there.

Just because you use a ATV, it doesn't make you a fat, lazy or slob hunter.
or a law breaker.
I am 62 years old and work out every other day year around, to stay in shape so I can Elk hunt. hopefully for at-least 10 more years.

Kevin

Like muley said earlier, in MT, and I mean nw MT, barring a couple very small designated areas, there isn't anywhere to ride them that you could not easily take a pickup. All the roads in all the major drainages are gated except the main arteries, which are maintained quite well for a pickup. Everybody up here seems to own an ATV, I see them gassing up all the toys on Friday, getting ready to head out of town. The funny thing is, you never see them cruising the main roads sucking all the dust from the vehicles, and you never see them parked at a locked gate! Where could they be?

A few bad apples? BS.

Testify! My experience as well is a hunter who would never think of committing the criminal act of poaching has no qualms of knocking over the "No ATVS Allowed" trailhead signs and blazing an illegal trail through the protected meadow. Both are criminals deserving to lose their gun, vehicle and hunting rights. Fat and lazy is not a reason to break the law.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back