Yeti GOBOX Collection

legal or illegal

12 guage

Saw a guy field dressing a 4x3 bull elk on our trip to colorado in early oct. I talked to him briefly as he was almost done gutting , he had the male portion attached to the quarters as they are suppose to be. Two days later I walked by the same spot and he had packed all the meat out, but had left the antlers. He had packed up and left for home. To be legal he has to have the antlers in possesion to prove the size of the animal right ?

Unless there is an antler point restriction in effect where he was hunting he probably did not have to pack out the antlers too. The male portion will show that it was a bull he killed.

In Montana some districts don't allow shooting a spike bull, but at least one district allows only shooting a spike with general license. So depending on the hunting district and regulations, generally both antlers and male parts on carcass are needed for proof of legal harvest.

If he was hunting in a unit with a point restriction, he must take the antlers. If he was hunting in an any bull unit, no. Not every unit in CO has a point restriction, but most do.

In Colorado general areas the bulls have to have 4 points on at least one side or a Brow tine of 5 inches or longer. A 3x3 with at least one 5+ inch brow tine is legal too. In the special draw units its any bull like Oak was saying. I talked to our local Warden last week who found a guy without the head on his bull because it was "to heavy to pack out", upon further searching he found the kill sight and a spike head stashed under a downed tree. Needless to say that was an expensive hunt.

Stupid hurts.... and costs a lot in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back