Caribou Gear

Leer vs. ARE topper?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
I've owned several AREs and will continue to give them my business. The only thing I have replaced are the shocks on the rear window. Take my experience for what it worth, but they've been good to me.

Bumping this thread possibly going to go look at a used topper tomorrow leer 100xl. Finally found one to match color and bed length. Looks identical to the one in @ashersdad post. My only concern is I dont believe the windows slide they are just crank out style in the back. My dog is with me much of the time and its one of the biggest reasons for the cap. Are those crank out windows gonna have much ventilation in comparison to the standard slider? Any opinion on this would be much appreciated it's about an hour and a half ride up to look at it and want to let the guy know asap if I'm not gonna buy it. This topper would be the first for me so I'm totally green on them.

I’ve owned both, have not noticed much of a difference in ventilation between the two though a bit more dust leakage with the crank type. That being said (and I have sliders in the one I own now) the only time I’ve ever had a topper broken into they peeled off the rubber around the window and just lifted the slider out. Don’t think that would have been the case with my older crank out windows. Just a thought

I don't have sliders but the ventilation seems good with the crank out version. I've slept in it several times and also have a dog that goes with me often. Ventilation is probably better with the sliders but I haven't been disappointed with the crank out windows.

I have the same truck as @coleslaw, with a Leer. second Leer and i have been impressed doesnt let water or dust in. The second one I went with the side windows that open and a rack for the top. worth the extra money. I then got some LED strip lighting and switches and put those inside each window. THe front couple feet behind the cab window used 3"4 inch ply, carpet and some D rings to make a shelf with straps to put bow, rifle, etc. regardless of brand get one that is carpeted on inside. helps keep the inside cool in summer and doesnt condensate in winter. especially if going to sleep in back hunting at all.

I agree with Birddog916. I’ve had a couple Snugtops and Leers. Snug top is the superior topper but the locks are crap. One thing I really like about Snugtop is the ease of putting on and taking off. Don’t have to mess with that sticky foam sealer tape

Back