Leer vs. ARE topper?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
I think the newer the truck the harder they are to find and generally the price is higher .

I think the newer the truck the harder they are to find and generally the price is higher .
It depends largely on the vehicle and if you are wanting a color match. It used to be pretty cheap to buy one and have it painted. I haven't looked in a while, but last time I did was prohibitively expensive to have one painted.

Finding a long box Dodge topper to match took some patience. During my search, short box versions were a dime a dozen.

I suppose your right any less produced versions are going to be harder to find or colors. I have always bought white and have never had any reason to buy another. I was watching another hunting show ( sorry randy) and the guy said that white is the worst color and animals can see it from miles away . Im not sure if thats true or not but i didn't like to hear that.

Did some more work on mine today 👍20200815_175701.jpg20200815_171613.jpg

7 week turn around! Just in time for my Wyoming adventure. Good thing to because I was counting on it to sleep in the truck bed!
I ordered an ARE for my new Silverado on June 11th. Still waiting on it. They think it might come to the dealer this Thursday. The sales person told me last week the factory is at least 9 weeks out right now.

What are/did you guys pay for an ARE or rather what is a ballpark cost? Been thinking for a while now that I want one for my 2008 crewcab.
I just ordered the ARE CX Classic. It was about $2,700. I ordered LED lights, power outlets, and windoors on both sides. Also, ordered a front tip in window so I can wipe off the back window of the truck if necessary.

I've had toppers on every truck since 1998. First two were Glasstite and they were great. Then I went to Leer for the next two. Both ended up with the back windows breaking; one while driving down the road and one when I closed the topper door. Since then I changed to ARE and no broken windows.

This week Marcus sends me a pic of his shattered rear topper window. Michael closed the lid and the window just shattered. I asked Marcus what brand of topper he has.....Leer.

Could be just a fluke and strange coincidence that all three broken rear windows were on a Leer. But, for now, I will stick with the ARE models that have allowed me to abuse them greatly without any failures.

I just got a A.R.E Z series for my new truck $3000. Now the 2 month wait to actually get it
WOW, they have certainly gone up in price since I bought mine a handful of years ago! I bought a Z series for my 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 outfitted with LEDs, the flip down window for cleaning and flip down hangers for the inside roof for $2000. By the way I love it, definitely one of the best things I've done to my truck.

I've had toppers on every truck since 1998. First two were Glasstite and they were great. Then I went to Leer for the next two. Both ended up with the back windows breaking; one while driving down the road and one when I closed the topper door. Since then I changed to ARE and no broken windows.

This week Marcus sends me a pic of his shattered rear topper window. Michael closed the lid and the window just shattered. I asked Marcus what brand of topper he has.....Leer.

Could be just a fluke and strange coincidence that all three broken rear windows were on a Leer. But, for now, I will stick with the ARE models that have allowed me to abuse them greatly without any failures.

Funny you mention that. I forgot about that happening to me. It was 1999. I chalked it up to being so cold. We came back after ice fishing and I reached up to close the back window. I barely toughed it and it shattered into 1000's of pieces in the driveway.

You guessed it, Leer.

WOW, they have certainly gone up in price since I bought mine a handful of years ago! I bought a Z series for my 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 outfitted with LEDs, the flip down window for cleaning and flip down hangers for the inside roof for $2000. By the way I love it, definitely one of the best things I've done to my truck.

Yeah they really jumped in price. Which is why I don't have one now. I'm looking for a used one that will fit for the right price. The last one I bough for my 2014 Ram was $2200 if I remember with tax, title, and license.

Pics and summary of first impressions, please!

Picked up my topper today. First impressions are I think I’ll really like it. The 2 strands of LED lights are nice. Fit seems nice and snug but we’ll see when it goes down it’s first dirt road. All in all, I’m happy with it so far.

1598586968903.jpeg
1598587103342.jpeg
1598587583853.jpeg

I need a new topper and have been really happy with my ARE MX series, but I need something to carry a rooftop tent and the ARE HDs are ky for Gen3 tundras. We'll see what price LEER comes back with for their HD series.

Anyone else have issues with their topper freezing shut? First season owning one.

Had Leer on my last two, love the side windows that open both sliding windows and open up from outside. I made a rack in the front 1/3 of bed so easy to reach in from side and put guns or bow whatever on it screwed a couple rings and velcro straps on it to hold things in place.

I havent used one but was online shopping at one of those AT overland toppers if your planning on doing a lot of camping looks like a sweet set up if got the funds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back