Leer vs. ARE topper?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38069

Which fiberglass topper should I put on my crew cab Silverado 1500 and why? Tonneau covers simply aren't secure enough and I want a hard shell for truck camping this fall.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I've had a few Leers. 4 I think. The last 2 I wasn't impressed with. They let in A LOT of dust, the handle got hard to operate, and the paint on the corners was always chipping off. I don't know about ARE but I'd give them a hard look after the last 2 experiences with LEER.

I've always had the 100 series. I think one was a sport, and the others were middle of the road. 100 XL maybe?

But...I'm right there with you on the Tonneau cover. No topper on this truck but I sure wish there was!

I have had 3 leer on 3 differnt work trucks I own. I have have great luck. Never had a leak and when the springs for the glass window wear out, they always replace for free. I think one time the shell was 5 years old and they charged me $10. We have a local Leer dealer here in town and the service is top notch.

I have a Leer 100R on mine right now, it's a piece of garbage. It leaks around the side windows, the front window rattles like crazy and has gaps around the sides, the rear window/door fits crooked so it doesn't seal well, the brake light doesn't work... Going to replace it with a softopper and external rack I think...

Had a leer on my last pickup and ditto on the dust, but I also did not have a dust seal kit on my tailgate (something i need to get around $40), also I did not like the push button latch opening as it would loosen up over time.

Whatever you get, I suggest purchasing one with opening/locking side windows on atleast one side of the topper. I had one that had the windows open out on my old chevy and loved it, then I bought the ford with the leer topper and it only had slide open windows with screens and missed the open outs, can be a PITA to grab gear thats not close to the tailgate.

Had a Leer on my F150 for 5 years. It tended to shift on me, rubbing on the cab. So I had to keep moving it back. Dealership couldn't fix it. It seemed to last ok.

My new one is an ARE because of features. The back window is different and I get keyless entry that syncs to my truck. so I like that.

I’m on my second Snugtop, both used. Two of my hunting buddies have Leers and like them.

I second a pop out window on the side.

I have had 6 new toppers for different pickups. 5 are's and 1leer. I had the leer back to the dealer 4 times. Mostly for the back door fitting poorly. I have 1 are topper back to the dealer for touch up on the lower edge after they stopped putting a moulding on the lower edge. A R E' S are by far the better topper in my opinion a little more money but pay me now or pay me later !!!!!!!!

I have a snugtop and it is a solid build, but the locking hardware is not that great. I think a thief could pretty easily crowbar the locks open, they are pretty shitty. I went with snugtop because it had the highest weight capacity of the major brands I looked at. I'm constantly putting things on the roof including coolers and kayaks, so I went with something I'm not afraid to stand on myself.

Thanks, folks! I will call about the ARE options! I'll post a thank you picture afterwards.

Bought my first ARE cap back in 1991 for a new F150 and have since had one on the 4 F150's I have owned since. My current one has the Z series. Looks great, the seal is perfect and the hinges are far better than LEER's IMO. As to the comment regarding dust getting in the back, that is from the tailgate, not the cap. To avoid that, you really need to weather strip the tailgate properly and that will cut down on dust dramatically.

I have an ARE MX (the midrise one). Nice to have a little extra headroom. It's been solid for the past 3 years. Keeps water out well, but there are gaps in the tailgate area that let dust in. It's pretty minor, but it happens. Overall I'm very happy with it. Be sure to get touch up paint. Mine has gotten a few dings mainly from me being careless.

I had a Leer on my Tacoma Aka Taco Tank; low profile, lighted, carpet lined shell and only glass window panels on either end. I loved that thing!

7 week turn around! Just in time for my Wyoming adventure. Good thing to because I was counting on it to sleep in the truck bed!

The topper on my '97 has been on since about 2006. It's a Snugtop brand and has been very good. No leaks around the windows, and no cracks. I've replaced the 2 rear window lifts once.

DSCN0365.JPG

I've had a few Leers. 4 I think. The last 2 I wasn't impressed with. They let in A LOT of dust, the handle got hard to operate, and the paint on the corners was always chipping off. I don't know about ARE but I'd give them a hard look after the last 2 experiences with LEER.

I like my Leer, but I have the same issues as stated above. Lots of dust and the handle to open is a poor design if you live in an area with hard winters. Water likes to freeze the handle internally and that makes it hard to open.
Otherwise, it looks very nice on the truck and I have camped out of it a few times while hunting. Even built a bed out of plywood and 2x4s to sleep on.20191105_113829.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back