Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Leaving in the morning for Wyoming.

If you can get there right after the storm, the hunting may be epic ! I'm jealous... winter cow hunts are my absolute favorite hunt. Looking forward to hearing more of your adventure. Safe travels !!
I hadn't thought about how much they may be moving after the storm! I'm about 200 miles out now. Just stopped for gas. They have a detour on the highway so hopefully I can get there today.

I hadn't thought about how much they may be moving after the storm! I'm about 200 miles out now. Just stopped for gas. They have a detour on the highway so hopefully I can get there today.

It's not like they'll just be moving today. Drive safe. You'll be fine.

Roads are open ! Take it easy though, there will be be some snow blowing around.
You may need a snow machine rental to get around, or a sled to haul one out. Might be able to help you with a jet sled type if you need it.
As you travel along 287 in Wyoming look to your left or west, might see some cows up high not far from the highway. Some state land up that way in addition to your HMA.

It might be worth picking up some snow shoes. I would expect elk to be on wind swept ridges, hills and saddles where grass is exposed. They aren’t too bother by wind in my experience.

Roads are open ! Take it easy though, there will be be some snow blowing around.
You may need a snow machine rental to get around, or a sled to haul one out. Might be able to help you with a jet sled type if you need it.
As you travel along 287 in Wyoming look to your left or west, might see some cows up high not far from the highway. Some state land up that way in addition to your HMA.
Awesome. I really appreciate the info. I'll be checking it out in the morning!

It might be worth picking up some snow shoes. I would expect elk to be on wind swept ridges, hills and saddles where grass is exposed. They aren’t too bother by wind in my experience.
I actually brought my Chinooks with me after hearing about the snow. Hopefully I don't have to use them. I left a mountain the fast way two years ago butt over teakettle and spent a hour looking for my bow.

Watch the leeward ridges where they’ve been blown clear. If the wind is howling they will be laid up just below the ridge getting some reprieve from the wind.

Well... got everything organized and a good night's sleep on Sunday night. Headed out Monday around 4am. Got to the area I was going to start glassing and realized I may have got up a little too early haha. After dawn started to break a little and I could make out what things sort of looked like. I found a pretty good little glassing spot that let me see down 5 or 6 different draws which were a good long piece out. Glassed what I could till the sun started poking up above the horizon.
You know how it is when you want to see something and your mind is playing tricks on you telling you your seeing it? I was going through this process looking at what I knew were cattle about a mile off but for some reason my mind kept telling no idiot those are elk. After I finished glassing through the rest of the area I went back to looking at my "herd of cattle" on that far off ridge when one eventually skylined itself just enough for me to say.. hmmm. Those might really be elk. I tried sneaking closer but after about 500 yards realized there was no way I could get to them from where I was so I backed out and looked over onx trying to figure out a plan.
I ended up heading back to the truck and hitting a two track about half a mile from where I thought they were. After parking and making my way on the lower side of those draws same draws I was glassing earlier I got to the one before where I had marked them. I slipped off my pack and low crawled up the ridge and low and behold elk! Lots of elk. Around 300 elk. But they had moved on down a few rises over around 600 yards away. I sat for a few minutes watching how they were feeding and heading and decided to try to get below them and come up a draw. They way it looked on the map if it worked out I'd be within 300 yards. I wanted to try to cut the distance as much as possible because the wind was absolutely howling.

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_083400473_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191202_083400473_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
So I dropped below the ridge picked up my pack and headed below them finally finding another little rock outcropping that would hide me while I snuck up to the crest of the ridge. There they were. Around 340 to the closest one. Wind absolutely howling.

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_094054177_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191202_094054177_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
Still too far off so I dropped down again and tried deciphering my next move. They were on the crest of the hill now and it didn't look good as far as finding another spot to intercept them or cut them off. I also realized I was getting a good long piece away from the truck and if I did actually end up pulling this out of my butt and dropping one I was going to be one sore pilgrim in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_115725333_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191202_115725333_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20191202_111247618_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191202_111247618_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 76
This is turning into a cool thread, especially for a cow hunt. I love how everyone has advised on the weather!

I decided heck what's another quarter of a mile.. dropped down again and circled way around them coming in from behind. I was done trying to get to within range and have them be gone when I got there. (Not realizing that the wind was swirling bad and they were smelling me from that far off and staying jittery but could not exactly pinpoint where I was which is why they were acting the way they were I think) I finally got in front of them and made my way up the hill again. I had one more rise to go to get to a small outcropping when I saw ears and heads walking past me about 80 yards. I immediately dropped down on my belly and started to make my way towards the little outcropping keeping low finally getting there I caught a lucky break and realized they couldn't see me till they crested and came down the hill thanks to some rocks. I decided to lay tight and hopefully have something work out. I ranged a couple of places and noticed the trail that they had worn through the snow coming off the hill also realized then that elk smell alot like a horse.

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_120123417_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191202_120123417_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
Good luck. Sounds like the big herd along the Colorado border may have moved north.
Watch those drifts in your truck.
I have a jet sled type sled in Laramie if you need it for retrieval.
Bolder Ridge had 30 in. of snow last week before the last storm .

Back