Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Last Hour last day Missouri Whitetail...

338RCM

I have been pretty busy with work and life, holidays and a kids birthday since Mo rifle deer season ended on Tuesday before Thanksgiving to post but am finding time tonight. I am extremely lucky to have private land to hunt in the way of a small family farm that has been in my family since the 1870's...It is less than 1/2 mile from the Iowa state line. I was able to take this buck about 1 hour before the rifle season ended on Tuedsay night.
I was in the timber headed to watch the edge of my neighbors freshly picked corn field where the deer had been feeding at dusk. I caught some movement in the trees and spotted a doe before she saw or winded me. I froze when I spotted her and then caught more movement behind her- another doe and a second doe behind that. Three does headed towards the field I was heading to. I catch another glimpse of movement and a flash of antlers. Looked good for the second I saw him. Couldnt get a good look at him with binos and hard to find him with rifle scope in the timber. I watched him move towards a very small shooting lane and steadied myself for a real quick shot if he steeped into the lane.
One shot with the Cooper 92 in 300 win mag and he was gone...
I knew I hit him based on his reaction. I made my way the 75 yds to where he was standing when I shot and found some blood but not enough to convince me of a perfect shot. I started to walk in the direction he fled and found a little more blood and then caught some movement and him fleeing again. Couldnt see any wounds but could tell he was limping pretty bad. I followed him for as long as I could see him and kind of figured I knew where he was heading. I caught his movement again about 75 yds later and watched him bed down behind a log. After a few minutes I was able to position myself to get another shot and put him down. Only shot was a neck shot. It was not an ideal shot but I did not want to push him any more and watch him flee into Iowa where I do not have permission to retrieve him. He was quartered away from me on the initial shot and based upon the shoulder damage by the Nosler accubonds he was quartered more than I thought. Broke the shoulder but did not hit any vitals.
Not a Booner by any means but I am pretty happy with him. Tall and heavy- barely able to get my hands around his bases and a big body. It was about all I could do to get him in my truck by myself after field dressing him.
I donated most of the meat to a buddy of mine that did not harvest anything this year. I have a freezer full of elk and his family will enjoy and appreciate corn fed deer. Only pics I took since I was hunting solo and whipped after getting him to and in my truck. My 6 year old was impressed.

Attachments

• IMG_3350.jpg
    IMG_3350.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 282
Wow man that is an incredible buck and a cool story nice work love those last minute successes I’ve had a tough year and need encouragement to keep on keepin on.

You’re indeed blessed that right there is the holy of Holies for whitetails! Great spot nice work!

Dandy buck!! Congrats!!

Another kudos for the family keeping the farm for that long!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back