Labor Day Shenanigans

MtnElk

My wife and daughter are headed to California to visit her cousin for the long weekend and she was asking me last night what my plans were with them gone.

I told her I planned to build and install the bookshelves in our office, and paint the two bedrooms that really need it.

She looked at me and said, "no really, what are you doing"

I said "just what I said, plus some scouting, goofing off on HT, hiking and finally watching whatever I want on TV"

She says "no really, what are you doing? who does all that stuff on a free weekend?"

I said "the guy who doesn't want to answer the question 'are you sure you should do it that way?!' 43 times " 🤣

Luckily she laughed and walked away. Thought for sure I was going to have to pay for that last line.

Plus this is a win win for me. If I actually do all that work I'm a great partner, if I don't then I've met her expectations of what I really should be doing on a long weekend. Might be my smartest move to date. Follow me for more mediocre marriage tips

Plus this is a win win for me. If I actually do all that work I'm a great partner, if I don't then I've met her expectations of what I really should be doing on a long weekend.
Thats where you're wrong buddy. You moved the goalposts and she now expects that all to be done. The smart move would be to say you were going to goof off and then do it so she would be surprised when she got back. Rookie move.

Thats where you're wrong buddy. You moved the goalposts and she now expects that all to be done. The smart move would be to say you were going to goof off and then do it so she would be surprised when she got back. Rookie move.
But by doing it as a surprise, you still move the goal post.

Always just meet expectations. No more. No less.

I’m trying to find the percentage that keeps the balance. It’s going above and beyond somewhere between 25-33% of the time.

My wife expects when she’s gone for more than a day that the kids and I will trash the house and leave a pile of laundry and dishes for her. Once every 3-4 times I clean the entire house, do dishes and laundry and put a debt in house projects. If I do it every 3rd time she expects it, every 4th she gets kinda peeved.

She hasn’t divorced me yet, so I think I’m winning.

There is definitely no winning all the time with the ladies, I learned that the hard way growing up with four sisters. But in this case I get to complete some house projects without supervision and get outside and scout some elk.

I’m trying to find the percentage that keeps the balance. It’s going above and beyond somewhere between 25-33% of the time.

My wife expects when she’s gone for more than a day that the kids and I will trash the house and leave a pile of laundry and dishes for her. Once every 3-4 times I clean the entire house, do dishes and laundry and put a debt in house projects. If I do it every 3rd time she expects it, every 4th she gets kinda peeved.

She hasn’t divorced me yet, so I think I’m winning.
That is a solid strategy. You are over achieving just the right amount.

I just go the old fashioned route of doling out big bills for trivial expenditures. Then I sit in silence while she is gone. Everyone is happy.

Marriage is like a ratchet strap, if you keep excelling at it the bar keeps moving higher, sometimes you absolutely have to karate kick that bar to the floor, and reset it to an achievable level. My preferred methods usually involve excessive drinking, exceptionally poor communication, extended trips into the mountains without warning, and general crankiness upon return.

I hope one of your buddies shows up with a 6 pack of strong ipa’s, 8 bottle cans of bud light and an Irish cream king palm.

Marriage is like a ratchet strap, if you keep excelling at it the bar keeps moving higher, sometimes you absolutely have to karate kick that bar to the floor, and reset it to an achievable level. My preferred methods usually involve excessive drinking, exceptionally poor communication, extended trips into the mountains without warning, and general crankiness upon return.
I showed this to my wife, she gave me a dope smack, and said “pretty much nailed you to a T!”

So there’s that.

Back