PEAX Equipment

Lab traits

I'd take my batsh!t crazy GSP over a lab every day of the week.

But it's way less about the breed than the breeder. Find a calm ______ and get a pup from them. I've met calm GSPs (though not mine), Drahts, and yes a lab or two, and I have a calm GWP. Spend the time to find a breeder to like, meet several of his dogs, call up other owners of dogs from the kennel interview them.

There is way more difference within a breed than between breeds, so don't think that just because some guy on Al Gore's internet tells you lab are totally chill that your lab will be totally chill. Do your own research.

I'm on my 4th as an adult as well as growing up with them in the house. Mine have not been overly hyper. As mentioned by jejack26 I've notice friends dogs that are from high level field trial lines seemed to be more hyper and not as good around the family but that could also be how they work with them. My last two where great all around dogs and our 12 week old is off to a good start. I start training and hunting early and get them a lot of exercise. Based on purely antidotal evidence I think you can pick the mellow puppy from the litter and have a good chance at a more laid back dog. No complaints from me on labs, not sure how you can find a better combination of hunting and family dog.

When ours was about 7 my wife called the vet and asked how long labs live if that helps 🤣

The last lab I had was bat shit crazy. An awesome pheasant and waterfowl dog. Fast, Birdy, and a desire that was impressive. Unfortunately, there was not an off button on this one so he was very unpopular at home.

Definitely meet the parents if possible and watch for field trial breeders that are in it to win it. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned in the responses is how much puppy personality can vary within a litter. I work with an excellent breeder that takes the time to highlight the traits of each pup and show the difference. She will take the pups one by one and set them on a high table out of their comfort zone and you can really see how they respond to life. The wild ones will bound across the table with total disregard for their safety and dive off into your arms. These ones will try to win at everything and soak up training but will be a handful to control and also demand exercise. The more conservative pups will cautiously explore and work their way over to you. These ones seem to challenge less when training but still love to get out and explore and are just happy to hang around with their people. The other notable trait of some of the lab pups is the therapy dog type and when put on the high table, they will not move and just wait for someone to pick them up. Good luck and enjoy the process!

You’re asking a question that can at best be generalized. Dog breeds sorta have standards but strains among those breeds could vary. For instance to me labs are lazy, unenergetic, plodding type dogs. My buddy has some that are exciting to be around. For me now no dis on anyone’s tastes.
German shorthairs. You have foot style dogs could be somewhat calm, pets can vary but if you look to horseback bred stuff even the body structure and size looks different, extreme energetic.
Imo if you want a bird dog do you want them to aggressively look or just hang out and carry the dog collar for you if you understand my analogy. Most dogs aren’t perfectly mellow all the time but go flat out nuts when time to hunt. It could happen but the flat out nuts part might be based on personal opinion.
Dogs typically calm down at a year old. I have horseback gsp. Had 14 beagles too at one point. Gun dog style high energy dogs.
Not one doesn’t have manners. Not one goes on a couch when indoors, barks in a kennel when outside, puts its feet on anyone, struggles when being collared or leashed, etc etc. It shouldn’t matter how much energy a dog has, the trainer sets the standards. Don’t rely on someone unable to handle a dog as a cause for your concern. I always say, go to a dog park, look at the dogs that run around crazy not listening to the owner. They’re owned by parents can’t/won’t handle their kids any better. Think about that. Who’s the problem? Get your bird dog, exercise and train him. He’ll be fine

Besides the first one I got when i was 15 still living in my parents house I've never had a problem Lab. That counter surfing SOB hate more birthday cake than me. I chalk his issues up to inexperience on my part.

Kennel and spot training from the start can prevent a lot of problems.

I will say my current hunter is the first female I've owned and she's been a treat. Easiest dog to train to my standards yet. Don't even use an E collar.

In my book a Lab with some energy is still better than the alternative.

I have had two labs. My first one was a female black lab. She was great, calm around people and around the house. When we went hunting she would flip a switch and was high energy hunting all day. Her daughter my current yellow lab just turned 9. She has the same energy today as she did when she was a puppy. Some fault of my own getting a puppy while away at college i didnt have the time to train her like i did her mother. Other factors of neighborhood kids hitting our fence, throwing rocks, shooting airsoft guns at them while im away has kept her guard up all the time and she is very protective. I think that reason has led her to to stay high energy. She has calmed down now that she is in the house and indoors she is very pleasant always grabs her rubber pig and lays on her bed. I will say their high energy in the field has made hunting so much more enjoyable she will outlast me in the field any day of the week.

I've had Labs since the early 90's. A good hunting Lab will have a high desire to hunt/retrieve. At times it will feel like you are trying to harness the power of the ocean. I only had one dog that I would categorize as too much. He was a big male from field trial stock, I blame my inexperience as a trainer and moving on in training too quickly for the majority of the trouble.
The advice I offer if too much energy is a concern is first find a quality breeder with the focus on trainability with the understanding that most Labs are family dogs for the majority of the year. Next, get a female. The ladies are just easier. Then pick a training method and stick to it. The beauty of Labs is their desire to please you. Try not to confuse them by altering training or thinking a young dog should know everything and behave like a seasoned veteran. Lastly, train often, hunt often, and allow for daily exercise and mental stimulation. The best hunting dog left alone without access to stimulation and exercise will likely be looney and bound to get into trouble.

Train the trainer. Karen Prior "Don't shoot the dog" for anyone interested
Thanks. Just ordered it to help with our pup. I've done good in the past training but It's different with a wife and kids in the house instead of a single guy. Hopefully this will help.

We've got a papered American black lab that was the busiest dog I've ever seen until she was about 4. Then she's settled in nicely. Huge drive and desire to hunt, but she's far less energetic around the house than she used to be.

Our 18 month of 1/2 American/1'2 chocolate is has fantastic drive but is mellow, for the most part.

Totally agree w/ everyone about training & ensuring that they get tired. We're fortunate that we work from home, so dogs don't get the opportunity to counter surf or chew shoes, etc. Every once in a while, a sock disappears and you find it sopping wet with a couple of holes in it, but they're generally not my socks so I don't care. A well exercised dogs is a good dog 9 out of 10 times.

Thanks guys,

I bought “gun dog” by Wolters which was a big help with my GSP but honestly she trained me. She was an incredible bird dog and a pretty good family dog. Now I am looking for more of a family dog but still hunt her as much as my knees will allow...😁

Lots of good info in this thread..appreciate it!!

Thanks guys,

I bought “gun dog” by Wolters which was a big help with my GSP but honestly she trained me. She was an incredible bird dog and a pretty good family dog. Now I am looking for more of a family dog but still hunt her as much as my knees will allow...😁

Wolters other two books Game Dog and Water Dog will have some similar info but geared towards retrievers. I used the techniques from Game Dog and have been very happy with the results for both upland and waterfowl.

I have a 3 year old chocolate lab and he is the most amazing dog ive ever had. In terms of hyperness he's always been a gentleman inside, but when its time to go outside or go hunting he can go damn near all day. I think so much of it depends on the breeding and training when they are young.

Attachments

• DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
I have been lucky, my last 3 labs were big built, mellow as can be, but went batship crazy as soon as they saw the shotgun come out. I would not want it any other way and it makes me scared to try getting another in fear it will not be like the last 3. I have friends with hyper dogs and I just could not deal with it myself.

Thanks. Just ordered it to help with our pup. I've done good in the past training but It's different with a wife and kids in the house instead of a single guy. Hopefully this will help.
That book is more focused on the concepts of operant conditioning and how they were developed for animal training. It will be a huge help but it isn't a step by step how to for training. Just a heads up

My 2 year old yellow is a monster if she doesnt get a run in with me. Once the energy dump occurs I couldn't ask for a better dog.
She was relatively easy to train for what I need with food, dog whistle and a shock collar. She's not a competition level dog but for a primary house dog I couldn't ask for better.

She has the food gene because she makes it seem like you are starving her no matter how much she has ate she will want more.

We got checked by a game warden who opened my bag to count birds. She's a cuddle monster normally who knows no enemies but I thought she would tear that guy's hand off. Only person she has ever growled at.

Attachments

• 20200812_205741.jpg
    20200812_205741.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4
Thanks guys,

Tom Dokken's Retriever Training book is specifically for labs. I like his approach more than Wolters, personally.

Back