Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Lab traits

C17loadclear

Hey guys,

I have been researching getting another family/bird dog (lab)and wanted to get some real world feedback on their traits.

More specifically, their energy when young..I know every dog is different but 2 people I know have 3ish year olds that are flat hyper.

I had a GSP and these guys are way worse. Not sure I am up for that kind of energy again....😁

Is this typical and if so when do they calm down.

Thanks

Our first, so nothing to compare to, but they told us she would calm down when she turned 2….well, maybe 3…surely by 4…maybe at 5…?

She’s almost 9 now and still goes absolutely nuts sometimes, but settles down a lot faster. She’s always been calm around the house for the most part though. But even at this age, it’s absolutely true that a tired dog is a good dog. Regular exercise gets the wiggles out and helps take the edge off.

CD6EEBE0-EC8E-45D3-8056-826811F927DE.jpeg

They are bred to be hunting dogs, and to the extent you can generalize the breed, they can be high energy. That’s what hunting dogs need to be. They generally are very trainable and with the right structure and plenty of exercise they are wonderful family dogs.

I’ve had three, and believe the particular breedings can have a big impact on how hyper they can be. Our first was crazy until she died at 12, and my current lab is a great hunter and still a pleasure to live with. Select wisely and make sure they have a constructive outlet for all that energy.

Our first, so nothing to compare to, but they told us she would calm down when she turned 2….well, maybe 3…surely by 4…maybe at 5…?

She’s almost 9 now and still goes absolutely nuts sometimes, but settles down a lot faster. She’s always been calm around the house for the most part though. But even at this age, it’s absolutely true that a tired dog is a good dog. Regular exercise gets the wiggles out and helps take the edge off.

View attachment 191685
Pretty much this. Mine is 3.5 and has a ton of energy, but he’s calm around the house. Lots of exercise helps.

My youngest is just over 3. She has calmed down some every year. She still goes like a total monster when needed but has been a much better house dog lately. She has spent her whole life living inside and is rarely in a crate unless required. We did hope our older dog, 11, would lead to the youngster calming sooner. I’m not sure the old dog was much of an influence besides teaching her where dog beds and toys are

This depends on if is English or American. My English Labs "calm down" around 2. Its like a switch gets flipped and they are great house dogs. Don't read this as loosing prey drive or slow in hunting, they just get what life is. Americans are knowns for high drive and the ONE I had did not calm down at 7. This is common in that line. Personally, I'll never do an American again.

Ever since I can remember, a lab has been in my home. I’m 34 and got my own lab 6 years ago. They require endless love for the first 6 months. Once they know their place in the new “pack”, you can train them fairly easily. In my opinion, the keys are:
- lots of exercise
- lots of training (mental stimulation)
- crate training (you decide when)

Enjoy it, it’s an great experience.

Boomer

We have had several yellow labs and have been lucky in that they would settle down and be good listeners within a couple years. Not so lucky with the shedding problems .

I have a 6.5 yo lab that is plum nuts. Super high prey drive and energy. Great hunter. My son has a 1.5 yo that is a great hunter but really mellow otherwise. You get what you get I guess.

Three year old lab. Definitely calming down compared to only a year ago. Still capable of madness. I would assume there is nearly as much variance within individuals in the breed as there is the breed to others in terms of energy levels.

All that said, don’t get a lab if you’re scared of high energy

DC731655-1C91-4B38-A754-149F125A6920.jpeg

My 6 month lab is awesome in the house. Maybe that will change. She's high energy around new dogs or people, but totally chill with the family. Settles into her space easily, chews on her stuff, doesn't get on furniture, etc.

20210625_075915.jpg
Her pedigree was described by the breeder as having a huge off switch...seems to be spot on so far. That interested me bc I knew our family wanted a house dog and family pet first.

Don't know yet what she'll do as a hunter but she's totally focused and dialed in when birds are around.

I agree with the above that breeding can play a big part in it, so you can look for that in litter descriptions or talk to potential breeders about natural activity levels. Also read that British blood lines tend to be less hyper. YMMV.

Good luck with your search!

ive raised american labs for a number of years and have found that it can depend alot on the dog and how they are trained early how fast they will settle down,,i think the females settle down quicker ,about 2 yrs,, than the guys 3 to 5yrs,,and if left as stud they really wont settle down till they are at least over 5 yrs,kennel training early i think helps.

My two cents and only that, I would stay away from some the field trial lines if worried about high energy levels in a dog. In no way bad mouthing the lines competing just some can be a handful. I tend to look for 3 generation removed from titled dog with good hip and eye certs.good luck, I love the breed.

Our labs (we had labs for about 15 years, a pup and then her pup) were moderately wired, though our primary comparison is a trio of terriers - two Airedales and a Rat Terrier. Labs, in comparison, we easy dogs - low energy, easy to train, etc. The Airedales, as they've aged (now 9 and 7) have calmed, but still have a can of instant "go" ready to be opened at any excuse.

I have a 2.5 year old yellow lab and she is the best family dog ever! She sleeps with my 13 year old son and is the perfect house dog (I hope I just didnt jinx something!). She has high energy when hunting (duck and pheasant), but is mellow around the house and has been since she turned 1. Her quirk? She has to be in the middle of a hug. She will come at 300 mph if two people are hugging to get in on the action!

I have a 3.5 year old lab who still has lots of energy. He’s kinda calm in the house when it’s just us but where’re anyone is over he is wild lol

You have to train them early. Once they figure it out, they listen very well. If you can't help them figure it out, they can be some of the most hardheaded of dogs. I've had 8 of them over the years. The ones I had as kid never had good training and it showed. They wouldn't listen for spit. But if you train them, they are really like a best friend. I've had my current lab (Crockett) for over 12 years, trained him early and he's pretty calm indoors. He does get excited when the doorbell rings (what dog doesn't). But other than that, he's great. Outdoors, he is wants to explore and play fetch. He will bring a training dummy, stick or toy or anything to anyone who'll throw it for him. But if you tell him, "not now, go lay", he'll mope over to his spot and chill. He's only just started slowing down in the last couple of years. I dread the day I lose him.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back