Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Lab traits

Our first, so nothing to compare to, but they told us she would calm down when she turned 2….well, maybe 3…surely by 4…maybe at 5…?

She’s almost 9 now and still goes absolutely nuts sometimes, but settles down a lot faster. She’s always been calm around the house for the most part though. But even at this age, it’s absolutely true that a tired dog is a good dog. Regular exercise gets the wiggles out and helps take the edge off.

View attachment 191685
THIS ^^^^^

My current lab is 5 and has terminal cancer and still out-puppies most puppies. I did have one lab that grew out of the puppy stage very early, but he was an english lab, weighed 100lb and had hip problems his whole life so I think he is the outlier.

If I had to generalize, they are higher energy. Hyper when pups, but are highly trainable. Mine largely have had a large desire to be with us and to please us.

Do you have kids in the house? Hyper kids will keep the dog in a similar state.
Nature or nurture? Both, really.
Our last 4 labs have been brought home on their 49th birth day. One of the books I read (years ago) made the point that pups separated from the litter on that day resulted in better natured and easier to train dogs than pups separated before or after. Supposed to have to do with dominance factors not meaning much before and being too set after. All have been very quick to house train, settle down in the home quickly and respond to basic training very fast.
Generally speaking, females are easier to train and seem to settle down quicker than males, but when dealing with a dog that is still growing at 18 months, why would anyone expect them to calm down before?

That book is more focused on the concepts of operant conditioning and how they were developed for animal training. It will be a huge help but it isn't a step by step how to for training. Just a heads up
Sounds good. I've had good luck with the book "Waterdog" on my last two and have already started with that work. I think were I need the the most help is getting the family involved so the dog doesn't only listen to me. Maybe this will help. I think it paid $4.50 for it so can't go wrong.

I've had labs since the 1980s, always females.
We don't allow any fetching/playing in the house and typically they have an off-swtch.
Go for a run and dog is popping wheelies with excitement, in the winter Yahoo! skijoring,
but in the house is down time.
This sweetie competes in hunt tests and field trials, good drive, but also nice to have in the house.
Scout_Q_2021.jpeg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back