Caribou Gear

KUIU hardcore gear or expensive toilet Paper?

If Hardcore is eating doughnuts and pounding BUD LIGHT then count me in........:D:hump:

Well eat up, you and your friend may need your energy to spend the rest of your fall shipping that backpack back and forth trying to get a resolution. Good times.

I have a pair of KUIU attack pants that I bought in July.

First off, they are the most comfortable hunting pant I've ever wore so I'll get a little praise out of the way. Second, I don't think they will hold up for very long. The pants have already got a couple of large areas where they are getting "fuzzy" (for the lack of a better descriptive term). It's like the material is getting weak and worn spots and I'm afraid I'll eventually have a few holes./

I have the exact same issue with a pair of Sitka Ascent pants. Comfortable for sure but showed signs of wear first time out. I have a pair of $40 Microtex pants from cabelas that are 5 or 6 years old and still look brand new.

Good stuff Dink. Here's my story as Critter hinted above.
First off, I think the stuff is great. I've been buying it at a pretty good discounted price over the last couple years. I used it last year on my Mountain Goat hunt in some pretty HARDCORE conditions and loved it. I have 0 complaints with the performance of the gear.

This summer I picked up a couple of merino tops. Last weekend while bowhunting I noticed one of the tops had several small holes in the back. No big deal I thought..I'll just send it back when I get home. I shot off an email..this is the exact response I got.

Hello Matt,

Wool is the favorite food of moths. If your Merino Wool tops are not stored correctly then moths get to them and will eat small holes in them. This is common for all wool and natural fiber clothing.

Best regards,

To be fair, after a couple more emails they agreed to look at some pics. Seriously pissed me off though. Not the cust. service I expected for sure. I negelected to tell them that I run a moth farm out of my home.

Yea they're on to us here in Montana. It's been a horrible year for moths :rolleyes: Why can't people just own up to things. Like Critter said I'm sure you get some lemons in everything but take care of your customers for crying out loud.

Dink your brother is a stud even if he stinks so bad it melts the pit Zip. How do you stand to share a tent with him.

WVhunter I'm surprised they wouldn't say.." were sorry our pants have a tendancy to attract rocks and burrs and will wear out sooner if they are actually used....."

Good stuff Dink. Here's my story as Critter hinted above.
First off, I think the stuff is great. I've been buying it at a pretty good discounted price over the last couple years. I used it last year on my Mountain Goat hunt in some pretty HARDCORE conditions and loved it. I have 0 complaints with the performance of the gear.

This summer I picked up a couple of merino tops. Last weekend while bowhunting I noticed one of the tops had several small holes in the back. No big deal I thought..I'll just send it back when I get home. I shot off an email..this is the exact response I got.

Hello Matt,

Wool is the favorite food of moths. If your Merino Wool tops are not stored correctly then moths get to them and will eat small holes in them. This is common for all wool and natural fiber clothing.

Best regards,

To be fair, after a couple more emails they agreed to look at some pics. Seriously pissed me off though. Not the cust. service I expected for sure. I negelected to tell them that I run a moth farm out of my home.

Secret surveillance film of Drakes house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tjN2dt8-rs

I'll be honest, that moth line from KUIU may keep me from ever buying another peice of KUIU again. I haven't had any issues with my Guide Jacket and Guide Pants YET so their customer service towards others will really sway my decision on future purchases.

The customer service shown so far in this thread will keep me from ever buying thier junk. Looks to me like thier customer service is running at about a 100% failure rate so far.

Crap, I was so looking fwd to my Colorado screw-u field pics...bummer dink. Hope your brother gets his stuff fixed.

Last edited:
A few pictures of the jacket. Funny thing, this picture was taken on top of my washer just before I washed the jacket TWICE before sending it in.
KuiuJacket1.jpg

KuiuJacket2.jpg

I agree with Lawnboy after dealing with companies like Mystery Ranch and Swaro I guess my expectations are to high.

Yep definately seperation due to arm pit stench. Sorry to inform you......:rolleyes: Great moose by the way.

P.S. 3 washings are usually required for any warranty service.:eek:

Did they say what they thought it smells like? Or just that it smelled?

If they thought it smelled like sweat thats one thing, but if they thought it smelled like gasoline or some chemical that they feel would compromise the materials used in the product that'd be quite another.

I agree it sucks if this type of thing happens to you, but guys that say they won't buy a product based on a handful of negative reviews compared to thousands of positive ones make me chuckle. If that was your standard on everything you'd never buy a single product. I've never seen or researched or bought anything, no matter how much it cost, that didn't have at least a few negative reviews.

Like I said. I love their stuff. I wouldn't ever pay full price for it, but I have 0 complaints about the performance or fit of any of it. I have put a lot of miles on the pants, rain gear, jacket and spindrift jacket..love it.

The initial repsonse just pissed me off. I will give them a chance to make it right.

I agree it sucks if this type of thing happens to you, but guys that say they won't buy a product based on a handful of negative reviews compared to thousands of positive ones make me chuckle. If that was your standard on everything you'd never buy a single product. I've never seen or researched or bought anything, no matter how much it cost, that didn't have at least a few negative reviews.

The "sheep" mentality makes me chuckle more.

Can't say that I've heard of negative customer service from Leupold, Swaro, Big Agness, MR and even REI just to name a few. Kind of odd that our small community on HT has had such bad luck with one company dedicated to hardcore hunters. I'd be willing to bet that all my hunting cloths combined costs less than a coat made by Kuiu (maybe even the sweet sheep hat), and I don't see myself failing/dieing in the field because I don't have the latest camo fashion or material. Its all a gimic to make you part with more of your hard earned cash. Serriously if it comes down to super clothing being required to kill animals... you suck as a hunter... and should be asking for the matching purse and high heals.

Buy what ever you think you need, we're all guilty of it, but come on... if you're going to pay $40 for a pair of underwear they better give me a free "massage".

If they won't stand behind thier products, I won't purchase it. Its pretty simple really.

Currently I own from Kuiu:
Guide Jacket- Owned since April, really like it and it fits well. I will be watching the welded seams because of this though.
Attack Pants-Bought these used and have really like them so far, no issues other than what I would consider normal use. Worn on multiple trips and they have never failed me.
185 Merino Top- It's Merino, nothing terribly special. I bought this used as well and it functions well.
Merino Beanie- Sleep in at night when the head is out of the bag. Fits a little snug for my large melon.
Guide Beanie-I think this one is my favorite piece from them. Very warm and very light.
Merino Bottoms- I like them a lot, function well. Have only used them on two short trips.

There is enough "performance" oriented clothing out there now that if I were to have poor service from them I wouldn't be going back.

The failure that is shown in the picture is simply the equipment not performing the way it should. For the price we pay for that gear, well that should be taken care of. If you are going to advertise that your company is going to compete with the big names, then it better do that.

Its all a gimic to make you part with more of your hard earned cash. Serriously if it comes down to super clothing being required to kill animals... you suck as a hunter... and should be asking for the matching purse and high heals

AMEN!!

Buy it if you want to, not because you think you NEED to...

After reading this, I likely won't be buying any KUIU stuff. I really don't like the idea of a brand without a storefront where I can try the stuff on anyway...

Does anyone have any experience good/bad with ASAT? I bought a set of camo for bow hunting this year (shirt/pants/fleece/hat), and after the first three days the stuff was already coming apart. The inside arms of the shirt were wearing where my arms rub my pack waist belt, stitching was coming out of the inseam and outseam of the pants, but the worst was my fleece. I only wore it when riding the 4-wheeler in the morning and then put it in my pack to hike only putting it back on when I sat down to glass. Just from leaning back in the pine needles there were numerous snags and one that had turned into a 5 inch long run in the fabric. I don't have anything bad to say about their customer service because I never gave them an option to make it right. I was so dissatisfied with the quality that I took it all back to Scheels. No receipt, no tags, but they still gave me my money back (store credit).

I've had a few Sitka items in mothwing from the first or second year they came out. After 3 years (and probably 40+ days of good use) the stitching gave out in the crotch of the pants. I sent them back to Sitka and they fixed them and shipped them back in 2 weeks with no charge/no questions asked. I haven't bought Sitka in a few years because it irritated me that they were changing their pattern every couple years or so. Their prices are ridiculous, but if that's the kind of customer service I get, then I guess I will pick up more Sitka for my next purchase.

I also really agree with what Lawboy said...there is a lot of great hiking/camping technical gear out there in greens/browns that is solid in performance and price and works great for hunting. I just picked up a light kirkland down jacket from Costco for $70 that is OD green in color and takes up no space in my pack. Way better (for the price) than what most hunting manufacturers would offer.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back