Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

KUIU hardcore gear or expensive toilet Paper?

Dinkshooter

So. If you spent $500 on a set of rain gear, what kind of expectations would you have?

Last year about this time my brother did buy into the hype so to speak. He bought a set of KUIU Chugach HARDCORE rain gear. Although they shipped the raingear to every port in Alaska except his address for a month straight, they took care of him and he seemed plenty happy with them.

This year during our August sheep hunt I noticed every time he picked up his arm I could see his under shirt. What the hell I asked? It turns out the pit zip on his coat was still functional……….However; whatever technique is used to fuse the zipper to the material must have been total dogshit because it had come apart. In short his pit zip was always completely open because of material failure. The edges of the zipper had come apart from the material.

No big deal we both guessed at the time, because in the hype, Hardcore KUIU seemed like a stand up company.

He went from that hunt straight to work. In the meantime he forgot to send Hardcore KUIU pictures of this major problem. Major problem I say because he was going to go straight from a sheep hunt to work, then back straight to a moose hunt. Literally, not one extra day, tough life I agree. Hardcore.

In the meantime he did get a friend to start the process of what we thought was getting him a new coat. I mean this is a company making Hardcore Gear for super Hardcore hunters and charging Hardcore prices. This was not a tear, rip, or anything due to abuse. Just absolute construction failure.

After the usual we don’t believe you conversations, emails and subsequent pictures he did approval to send the coat back.

He has used the coat. I mean he is a super Hardcore hunter using super Hardcore gear. So he spent a considerable amount of time getting the jacket cleaned up. He then sent it back to the Hardcore company KUIU. When super Hardcore KUIU received the coat, they determined the coat was and I quote “to dirty to repair”!!!!!! WTF? And I quote again from the office manager “Even Jason thought the coat smelled”.

Again WTF? Smelled? Why is this even a problem? They would have never had a problem if the coat was not simply a failure in materials?

Any rate, By the super Hardcore KUIU website, I see the owner is on some guided grizzly bear hunt in Alaska right now as I type this. I hope he doesn’t get his super Hardcore raincoat smelly. It would also be a real drag for him to end up with basically a giant permanent hole in his rain coat while he was in Alaska, with no repair options. Alaska rain can be a bitch. Certainly my brother will find this out next week while he is chasing Mountain Goats on Kodiak Island with a giant hole in his Hardcore KUIU raingear. I hear Kodiak weather can be a little wet as well.

All the guides I know wear kuiu and love it. And by guides I mean indian Larry.

Not so sure there's a camp that's alaska tough

I've just been buying "mountaineering/hiking" rain gear in colors that seem to blend in better up there. I only spend between $40-80 for it and it works great.
The first year up there I had some rain gear that had that silent suede stuff on it. While it kept me dry the coat ended up soaking up about 2 pounds of water in that suede material.

I'm with you though. If these companies are going to make us pay premium prices for their products then the products better withstand the normal rigors of use. So far my experience has been with Kenetrek and hearing other stories about MR packs. They bend over backwards to make you happy with their products.

Sounds like KIUI better get their crap together. Bad reputations spread like wildfire on the web.

What the heck does smell have to do with zipper failure? Lame! Can you imagine MR saying "why this pack smells like blood and use" Well imagine that.... someone using your product and not hanging it in a closet.

Last edited:
Drake may have some comments here regarding the KUIU super HARDCORE 185 merino wool shirt he ordered that has holes all over in it.................

What say you Drake:):)??

So far, I have had great luck with all my Kuiu gear but I think as will all companies, your gonna get some lemons................but only the good companies will back their stuff and replace those lemons when they happen.

I'm all ears for your rain gear recs.................

I've been wearing OR Rampart gear for the last 3 years. Tough enough to wade through alders and dwarf birch for days...so far hasn't fallen apart.

Then again I'm not really a hardcore hunter.

Pretty sure Indian Larry has a hole in his Kuiu coat too.

That's a hardcore opinion, I've never had a problem with my gear....that said I do think Jason could find a bit better front office staff in terms of knowledge, though of the times I've talked to others than the front office staff all has been good.

They should be standing up to their gear though, they are using the same mfg. facility that produced Arcteryx back in the day.

It's just some On Your Own customer service Dink. They knew you hung out here and just wanted to help you guys be even more hardcore. They are committed.

Threads like this have a lot of potential to get things rolling. Post up the pictures and do a count of times that the thread gets looked at. Post up their returned emails and see what happens, I bet you have some new rain gear in short order.

My Kuiu stuff works great, and I really like its fit. However, I like to think that I am objective. If the customer service stinks well I would look elsewhere.

After reading this i am starting to think twice about buying there gear.... My hunting partner and myself both have the ICON 6000 pack and carbon fiber frame. We packed my elk out a week ago and my hunting partner broke the frame. think he had like 80# of meat and gear on it. Wonder if they with replace it since this stuff is suppose to be the baddest gear on the planet.

It is 6am in Alaska right now so Pig Pen is probably still sleeping. See any resemblance?

It is a wonder he got close enough to a wild animal in his Smelly Dirty coat to kill it with a bow.

Smellycoat.jpg

Attachments

• Pig-Pen.gif
    Pig-Pen.gif
    23.3 KB · Views: 23,999
Last edited:
After reading this i am starting to think twice about buying there gear.... My hunting partner and myself both have the ICON 6000 pack and carbon fiber frame. We packed my elk out a week ago and my hunting partner broke the frame. think he had like 80# of meat and gear on it. Wonder if they with replace it since this stuff is suppose to be the baddest gear on the planet.

mhungerford

I had no idea you were that HARDCORE. Bitchin:D

I have a pair of KUIU attack pants that I bought in July. I wore them for the first time on a mule deer hunt in Nevada in August. I wore them 5 days straight. There was no deadfall and no brush busting going on during this hunt.

First off, they are the most comfortable hunting pant I've ever wore so I'll get a little praise out of the way. Second, I don't think they will hold up for very long. The pants have already got a couple of large areas where they are getting "fuzzy" (for the lack of a better descriptive term). It's like the material is getting weak and worn spots and I'm afraid I'll eventually have a few holes. If I can get some decent pictures I'll post them.

I've worn $19 generic jeans for longer days in a row for a couple of years before they would get the fuzzy spots and tears and holes would eventually show up. I'm very disappointed since these are supposed to be the shizit and they cost so much. I did get a good deal on these thru the outlet sale but on the flip side I can't return them since they are from the outlet sale.

Also, I bought a Core 4 Merino shirt from Camofire over the summer and I finally got it out of the bag before the same trip and noticed a huge hole in the back. :/

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back