Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kodiak Island Here I Come!

elkrchr

While still eight months out, I officially started the DIY hunt planning today by booking award mile tickets for my buddy Mark and myself from Portland, OR to Kodiak, AK. I also scheduled the float plane to take us from the town of Kodiak to our "secret lake". With three great winters in a row, the deer numbers have rebounded nicely from the 2012 die off. It's been 16 years since I've hunted the island, but I'm stoked to be headed back. Our last adventure on the island ended with a bear destroying our camp and trying to eat us. We're taking an electric fence with us this year (not that it is going to stop a persistent bear) to deter any curious bears. Taking a Seek Outdoors 8-man tipi which should be much more comfortable than our old North Face Expedition 25's. We're even going all out and taking cots!

I can't wait to write up the hunt report and share it with all the Hunt Talker's out there. Really hope to take a cross fox this trip as well.

Sounds like a fun trip. It has been 9 years since I've been there. Really want to get back. Looking forward to the report.

That's awesome! Good luck on the deer (as well as not getting eaten). Sounds like an amazing adventure.

Very jealous,sitka blacktail hunting is now one of my favorite hunts to do.I hit the wrong time frame last year but will be back soon and alpine hunting POW.
Good luck on your trip.I'd be a little restless sleeping in a tent on Kodiak.But all in all, the float plane ride is probably more dangerous then the bears

Good luck! I'd like to give the island a try again sometime. If I go early again, I want to fly in like you are doing, but I think I'd really like to do a boat based November rut hunt.

We really struggled choosing between a boat based hunt (a warm, dry bed at night, not having to cook and no bear worries at least during the night) and camping out, but in the end, the ability to hunt an area that hasn't been hunted much won out. I remember seeing 20-25 bucks/day on some of our hunts in the late 90's and those numbers are highly unlikely on a boat based hunt.

Camping out definitely keeps one on edge, but with today's high tech gear, preparedness and cleanliness, weather and bear issues can be greatly minimized. It is a very "doable" hunt for most people cost wise. With a free ticket (sign up for an Alaskan Airline credit card and you'll earn enough points for a free flight within three months) and three scheduled nights in a hotel, the trip is going to cost right around $1500 (that's with two deer tags and assuming three wax boxes of meat coming home with each of us). Not bad for two weeks in Alaska!

That sounds like a great trip you have planned. That's really something to look forward to.

Kodiak is something special. My hunt in 2007 out of Larsen Bay was incredible and the amount of rutting bucks we saw was unreal. Stay safe and have a great trip. Headed back there next year to hunt goats with Munsey's Bear Camp. Good huntin'

Nice photos Big28Hunter! That helped fire me up even more! To answer Brittany Chukarman's question about the meat, we bone out the entire deer, place it in sealed five gallon buckets once we have returned to camp and then sink the 5-gallon buckets in the lake. The meat stays cold and dry and best of all, no odor for Mr. Kodiak to hone in on!

T-2 days and counting. My buddy and I leave Saturday evening for Kodiak. I think I've got all my gear ready, just need to stuff it in my duffel and check the weight. I've attached a couple photos, one of my gear and the other of our intended quarry. I'll be sure to post an epic summary upon our return.

Attachments

• Kodiak Gear.jpg
    Kodiak Gear.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 386
  • Intended Quarry.jpg
    Intended Quarry.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 381
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members