Kodiak canvas flex bow tent

jvanhoy

I just picked one of these up today from the bargain cave at Cabelas. 10x14 originally 714 got it for 270. Didn’t have time to look up any reviews. We will be using in for September elk hunts. Anyone have this brand? Will probably run a buddy heater if needed. Will I have any condensation problems? Thanks

That’s a hellava deal on that tent. Canvas breathes well so condensation usually isn’t an issue unless it rains continuously for a day or more. If it does rain a lot, just open the doors and vent. I prefer a cot.

I have one and love it. It's been in heat, rain, snow, and wind. I use a cot in mine. When it's really cold I run a buddy heater for about a half hour before I go in for bed for the night and turn it off. I've never had a condensation problem in it. I keep the windows open just a little bit when it's cold. The longest part of the setting up process is staking the floor out. But, I can have it up by myself in about 5 minutes.

Use a cot and store gear under it and drape a heavy blanket over the cot so it touches the ground on all sides. This prevents unwanted airflow underneath you that can make it colder. Air mattress is horrible they are much colder cause the air in them gets cold. Never made that mistake again.

I picked that same one last fall. I liked it. I ran a buddy heater when needed. A cot with a foam pad on top is what you want. I have rubbermaid tubs that are short enough to slide under the cot. Keeps your stuff organized and opens up the floor space. I'm planning on putting in a stove jack so I can run my SO Ti stove in it. It is a great car camping tent when I don't want/need the big wall tent. PS..the floor is nice when you are in New Mexico and there are giant tarantulas around...

Use a cot and store gear under it and drape a heavy blanket over the cot so it touches the ground on all sides. This prevents unwanted airflow underneath you that can make it colder. Air mattress is horrible they are much colder cause the air in them gets cold. Never made that mistake again.

I consider a thermarest pad an air mattress and they are not cold at all, but those with big air chambers could be cold. In any event, you probably need something between your sleeping bag and the cot if the weather is cold.

I consider a thermarest pad an air mattress and they are not cold at all, but those with big air chambers could be cold. In any event, you probably need something between your sleeping bag and the cot if the weather is cold.

I use an old sleeping bags and an inflatable pad under it between my sleeping bag and cot and have never had an issue.

Reactions: JMG
I have a thermarest pad for my spike tent. I’ll probably go with the cot with it on top. Thanks everyone.

I've had one for 6 years and have really enjoyed it. Everything Cush said is right on. I use a small cinder block with my heat to protect the floor. My tent has seen winds at 60mph and done just fine. I'll never get rid of mine.

Yes I put my thermarest pad on top of my cot....then big blanket...then sleeping bag. Works great that way for me.

I've got one, like others have said it's a great tent. I do wish it was a bit bigger though, it's just about perfect for 2 guys, 3 or 4 is pretty cramped.

I think you need to upgrade your air mattress to one that has insulation. I agree you can get cold from the air below the cot, but a pad with a decent R value solves that.

I should have added that I have the same tent and LOVE it. With Cam-O-Cots you can bunk 4 grown men in there. My only complaint about the tent is that the doors are on opposite corners from each other. I've always felt that if they were in line on side you could really utilize the new flow of traffic better. Here are some other suggestions to make this tent a palace:

* Cots. For all of the reason already listed - more comfy, and more storage space. I like the XL Cam-o-cots.
* Put a second 10x14 tarp inside the tent. Cleanup of debris is easy that way, but a small handbroom and dustpan is still nice.
* Buy some cheap floormats for you to put your feet on when climbing out of bed. They make an amazing difference.
* Get a carabiner and rope to figure out a way to hang a light source from the middle of the tent.
* Get a small folding table for putting books, maps, whatever on.
* Buddy Heaters are great. I like the cinder block idea but a wornout cookie sheet works great, too.

Some other advice you probably already know and may be in the instructions. NEVER put it away wet. Wet canvas equals mildews. Also, when raising and lowering the tent, leave some windows/doors open to allow the air to flow in or out.

I should have added that I have the same tent and LOVE it. With Cam-O-Cots you can bunk 4 grown men in there. My only complaint about the tent is that the doors are on opposite corners from each other. I've always felt that if they were in line on side you could really utilize the new flow of traffic better. Here are some other suggestions to make this tent a palace:

* Cots. For all of the reason already listed - more comfy, and more storage space. I like the XL Cam-o-cots.
* Put a second 10x14 tarp inside the tent. Cleanup of debris is easy that way, but a small handbroom and dustpan is still nice.
* Buy some cheap floormats for you to put your feet on when climbing out of bed. They make an amazing difference.
* Get a carabiner and rope to figure out a way to hang a light source from the middle of the tent.
* Get a small folding table for putting books, maps, whatever on.
* Buddy Heaters are great. I like the cinder block idea but a wornout cookie sheet works great, too.

Some other advice you probably already know and may be in the instructions. NEVER put it away wet. Wet canvas equals mildews. Also, when raising and lowering the tent, leave some windows/doors open to allow the air to flow in or out.

Thanks a bunch. Great info from all.

At the moment I am not in the market for one of these, but have seen Cushman's in action and was pretty impressed.

I am curious if anyone has tried to get a stove jack sewn into one? It seems like a good source of dry heat would be awesome come late season to dry boots and stuff.

They almost lost me with the first 1:15 of that guy wondering around in the woods. Wish they would have shown a stove set up in there. I am assuming you would want to have a chunk of plywood of something to keep the floor from melting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back