Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Just a friendly reminder to test your new gear before relying on it.

HuntTalk Freak

Decided I’m too old, fat and simply not tough enough any more to spend a week in a small tent; so I bought a canvas tent and stove to supplement my little hot tent and backpacking tents.

Set up tent with no problems and wet it down per the instructions. Easy.

Set up stove in tent. Easy.

Started assembling the stove pipe and the damn thing just wouldn’t go together. It’s a nested pipe and the ends needed to be adjusted some. Well me being me….I tried to force them a little and long story short….I now have super glue keeping the skin between my pinky and ring finger together in lieu of stitches.

Glad this didn’t happen on my hunt. Let’s hear some stories of failed gear tests or mishaps. 619DEEC5-382C-463B-87FC-643CEE021825.jpeg
D0B4ED68-A728-4EE8-9834-753ED7205A33.jpeg

Decided I’m too old, fat and simply not tough enough any more to spend a week in a small tent; so I bought a canvas tent and stove to supplement my little hot tent and backpacking tents.

Started assembling the stove pipe and the damn thing just wouldn’t go together. It’s a nested pipe and the ends needed to be adjusted some. Well me being me….I tried to force them a little and long story short….I now have super glue keeping the skin between my pinky and ring finger together in lieu of stitches.

Glad this didn’t happen on my hunt. Let’s hear some stories of failed gear tests or mishaps. View attachment 240541
View attachment 240542
Screenshot_20220920_200547.jpg

Same experience with nesting stove pipe trying to disassemble it, then a triple pronged assult cleaning the spark arrestor with frozen fingers. I wear leather gloves now whenever I touch the nesting stove pipe or spark arrestor. Lesson learned.
Do yourself a favor and keep a pair of welding gloves inside your stove before heading out.

Same experience with nesting stove pipe trying to disassemble it, then a triple pronged assult cleaning the spark arrestor with frozen fingers. I wear leather gloves now whenever I touch the nesting stove pipe or spark arrestor. Lesson learned.
Do yourself a favor and keep a pair of welding gloves inside your stove before heading out.
The whole time I was thinking to myself to put some gloves on as I knew what was coming. You can’t fix stupid. 😞

I actually keep gloves in my titanium tent stove kit for this exact reason.

Glad this didn’t happen on my hunt. Let’s hear some stories of failed gear tests or mishaps. View attachment 240541
View attachment 240542

We now have very similar scars. Did this chasing my sister around the yard with a bucket of water. Was an old galvanized 2 gallon bucket that had a big rip on the top.

20220921_062236.jpg

Sir, I've been building steel rule tool and die for 22 years now. Super glue is the only way to fly.

And my pro tip is it use a rubber band as a tourniquet below any cut on your finger to avoid those stringy run outs while the glue is still liquid.

Sir, I've been building steel rule tool and die for 22 years now. Super glue is the only way to fly.

And my pro tip is it use a rubber band as a tourniquet below any cut on your finger to avoid those stringy run outs while the glue is still liquid.
Hey that’s a good tip!

I cut off my wall tent's stove pipe short so the pieces would fit in the stove. I recall cutting my hands a couple of times putting the pipe together but never anything like that. My hands are covered with memorable scars. There's this one from trying to gut my first buck in the dark. Dad had to drive me 75 miles to Lewistown hospital to get it sewn up. On the way back to camp my brother and I were talking about the old doctor character who did the stitches. "He was sure a funny guy, didn't you think so, Dad?" "For seventy-five bucks he should have been f-ing Jack Benny." Things were pretty quiet the rest of the night.

Edit: Something is messed up with the site. Almost impossible to get on and now unable to upload pictures. Am I the only one having issues?20220921_113628.jpg
Now it's working.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back