Kimber Montana 308+Muzzel Break or 7mm-08+muzzel break

If reducing recoil is the main objective, the 7mm-08 with a 120 or 140 bullet will recoil less than the .308 with a 150 or 165 bullet. My 10 year old grandson got a 7mm-08 for Christmas two years ago, and shoots it well. I don't know if he would have done as well with the .308.
She should not need a brake with the 7mm-08, especially if she is shooting her 30/06 right now without one. Should be a world of difference.
I am not sure she would see much difference in the .308 and her 30/06 as far as recoil.
If reducing recoil is the main objective, a large drop in rifle weight is a tough way to get there... In fact, I'd probably go with a 243 sans break and use 100gr premium bullets like a Partition or a Barnes.

Do you handload? If so, remember that powder weight has as much to do with recoil as bullet weight. Changing to a slightly faster burning rate powder (smaller charge to hit max) will reduce recoil and often times not loose you that much speed. I use an unconventional powder in my 338 Win Mag to reduce recoil and I can easily tell the difference and am giving up only 100fps.

Get a 6.5x.284 lol..... got my wife one, she's small 5'2" 110 lbs with no recoil pad.... kills everything she shoots at with it! Awesome rifle. But my vote between the calibers you posted would be the 7mm-08, that's what I would have gotten but I reload with my dad and he has the 6.5 components so I went with the 6.5 instead of the 7mm-08.
Matt

My daughter shoots a 270Win (no brake), your wife shoots an '06 without a brake. Who are you really getting the rifle for? GJ

I bought a second hand, custom built 7mm-08 with a brake. I love the gun, but I will have a gun smith cut that stupid brake off. I am tired of blasting my ears when I forget to put in my ear plugs while hunting. I say no brake 7mm-08

.308. load 150s and have her wear good hearing protection. The Kimber absorbs recoil very well. I think noise will effect her more than recoil.

I have had good luck with 150 grain 7 mm nosler partitions. I would go for the 7mm 08

The hair has been split a thousand ways and sanded over these two cartridges a bunch around here. mtmuley

I can't quite imagine putting a muzzle break on a 7mm-08. It already has quite a bit less kick than a .30-06. If you handload, you can load it down a bit, too. You could also get one in a little heavier rifle. I have a Winchester m-70 featherweight in 7mm-08 and my 9 year old doesn't seem to mind the recoil (though he doesn't like the muzzleblast). And, that brings up the problem with the muzzle break...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back