Kimber Montana 300WSM vs 280AI

I had an old VX II 3x9 x 40mm. Had that mounted. From a Caldwell Shooter the gun shot Sub-MOA. I couldn't believe it. This gun is exceptionally accurate. It's tighter than my 7-08 or the 270 WSM. Glad I listened to everyone on the forum!

After shooting it what was your opinion of the recoil? I'm looking to replace my dad's old 30-06 and get my own elk rifle, is the recoil of the 300 short manageable enough without a brake?

Why do you have to replace the .30-06? You already have an elk rifle. One of the very best. mtmuley

Why do you have to replace the .30-06? You already have an elk rifle. One of the very best. mtmuley

Nothing wrong with a .30 Except I like ones that burn more powder than a short mag. Have fun with it. mtmuley

Hmmm more powder maybe??

Mtmuley because it's a very old pump action Remington 760 that weighs quite a bit and you can't even put a bipod on it. The pump also rattles a bit now so it's loud and metallic sounding. Love the rifle but it's also his. Time for a bolt action and my own rifle now that I can afford it. So ya, 30-06 or 300 short are my two I'm considering

Last edited:
After shooting it what was your opinion of the recoil? I'm looking to replace my dad's old 30-06 and get my own elk rifle, is the recoil of the 300 short manageable enough without a brake?

I couldn't say as I used a Caldwell Shooter with 50lb weights. There was no recoil with this setup. I still think a 7mm-08 or 308 is the best caliber for all around Elk and deer hunting. I bought the 300wsm as some said in the chain "because I could.

I couldn't say as I used a Caldwell Shooter with 50lb weights. There was no recoil with this setup. I still think a 7mm-08 or 308 is the best caliber for all around Elk and deer hunting. I bought the 300wsm as some said in the chain "because I could.

Thanks Eric, noted. Hope you enjoy the 300 short!

Should be able to load that to 3200 fps with 180s and 3000 fps with 200 grainers, real elk medicine. GJ

Don't have a WSM and have never loaded for one, but those numbers seem high to me. mtmuley

mtmuley, Have only the word of a friend who has one. He does have a chronograph, so I suspect it works for him. As in a previous post, it could be a barrel burner. I won't give out his powder choice and charge. GJ

I agree with mtmuley the Nosler load data shows six 180 grain loads in the 3000-3096 fps range and two 200 grain loads in the low 2900fps range. These were with a 24 inch barrel and max loads.

I'm sure the Nosler data is accurate for the test barrel they use. I called my friend just now, he was getting ready to go to the range, his rifle has a custom throat with a 3/8 inch freebore so as he puts it,"the bullet gets a good running start". To each his own. GJ

I'm gonna have to say, your friend is full of baloney. The .300 Winchester can get closer to those velocities, but still not quite do it. mtmuley

I can't quite agree with mtmuley. My friend is probably only 1/2-2/3 full of it, not baloney either. He is a damn fine hunter, FWIW. GJ

If memory serves I'm thinking a couple of my 30 whiz have been just over 3000 fps....the LA's maybe 30-40 fps faster, for which I accredited barrel length. Both shooting 180's. Plenty of speed and energy for the distances I'm comfortable with. IMO, there's a small yet discernible difference in felt recoil with the short mag being more of a push.

..mileage varies.

I won't give out his powder choice and charge. GJ

Nor would I....sounds hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boxcutter223
Back