Browning X-bolt w/muzzle break: seeking reviews

CodyCass

Hello fellow Hunt Talkers,

I'm in the market for a new X-bolt to hunt big game with. I have an X-bolt hunter in .243 and love it, but I recognize that a .243 isn't ideal for hunting game much bigger than whitetail and antelope. I know a lot of folks aren't the biggest fans of X-bolts, but I love the weight, how it handles and it drives tacks with everything I've fed through it.

I've got it narrowed down to a 7mm-08 or a .300wsm. Your are probably thinking "well those are two totally different cartridges". Indeed they are, I'm very recoil sensitive (my wife has always said I'm a softy :D), so if I get a .300wsm I'd be looking for an x-bolt model that comes equipped with a muzzle break. My question is: has anyone shot a .300 Browning x-bolt with the factory muzzle break? How effective was the break at taming the .300? From what I can gather a good muzzle break tames the .300 to levels I'd be comfortable with, but I can't find any reviews specific to the Browning. As always your feedback and advice is greatly appreciated.

-C.Cass

I love my xbolt. I bought the composite stalker in 300 WM and then had the barrel cerakoted. It's been a great rifle for me, never any issues, and shoots sub-moa. Browning does a pretty good job with their stocks, and the felt recoil really isn't that bad. Before, I had a Ruger M77 in the same caliber and the Browning definitely kicks less. That being said, I am not a fan of muzzle brakes. They are LOUD. A fair compromise could be a rifle that has a removable muzzle break for the range, and then a threaded end cap so it can be removed for hunting. Check out this new rifle, this thing looks sweet and has a removable brake: http://www.browning.com/products/fi...ent-production/x-bolt-hells-canyon-speed.html
I have been drooling over one of these for awhile.

I guess it really comes down to personell preference. If you have recoil sensitivity issues, a 300 WSM may not be right for you. I own a 7mm-08 as well and it is a pleasure to shoot, and it will do everything you want with the right bullet.

My friend has one that I shot when I was helping him sight it in. Shot great and felt great when you shot it. Only problem was that it was loud. Even with my hearing protection, I felt some ringing in my ears. Made his 7mm mag feel like i was shooting my 06 though

I've been intrigued with those as well. Affordable price for a gun with a factory muzzle brake. If I bought one I would make 100% sure to wear ear protection when hunting.

So I have a review on here somewhere for the Xbolt Hells Canyon. I have the 300WM. With the break on, and put on a lead sled, there is almost no felt recoil. I would recommend you go with the WM over the WSM. You can't go wrong either way though. I put plugs in in the field when shooting, but you could just take off the muzzlebreak.

Last edited:
I have a 300WM with a muzzle brake. It made a world of difference in recoil, but it is now insanely loud. If you're looking for a significant up grade in umph a magnum cartridge with a muzzle brake might be the way to go, if it's primarily hunting that interests you that is. Nothing at all wrong with a 7-08 either, but think about your potential hunting situations - if you might try to shoot an elk out around 400 yards or so, you're probably better off going with the 300WSM. Out beyond about 275 yards is where the magnum families tend to stand out from standard rounds, this is especially true in terms of sustained bullet energy.

I can tell you my 300WM kicks less than a 270 after I had the brake installed. Very comfortable to shoot, but if you go that route, you'll want to make sure you always have a good pair of ear muffs when you shoot it. For real.

Ive got the X Bolt Western Hunter edition in 300WM. I have only shot it with the brake on so far, so I don't have a comparison, but I will say that shooting off a bipod with rear bags it wasn't that bad. I am not recoil sensitive, but I don't care for it. I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 270 with a brake, and it is the cat's meow. Excellent balance of lightweight and soft shooting. I always hunt with hearing protection, so I know they are loud, but not really an issue. I walked up on a bedded buck a couple of years ago with only iphone ear buds in and shot that 270...no issue at all. No ringing either.

Thank you all very much for the feedback! I know I will be happy with either the 7mm-08 or the 300wsm. At this point I'm leaning towards the 300 and if I do I will definitely heed your advice and protect my ears. I'm glad to hear positive things about the Hells Canyon and Western Hunter, those are the two models I've been looking at. However I just came across the Shot Show special "All Weather". It has a stainless barrel, muzzle break and laminated wood stock. I know synthetic is lighter and will do a better job concealing battle scars, but I just hate the way they feel.

Out of curiosity, why not a .308? It recoils a bit more than the 7-08, but unmanageably so. The bigger bullet delivers more punch.

i too own an x-bolt in 30-06. it is extremely accurate rifle to shoot. that being said, a few years ago i was hunting with an outfitter and another gentleman who was also there had an x-bolt in 300wsm with a factory muzzle brake. the guide was not happy about this. after checking his rifles zero i could see why. it was an obnoxiously loud rifle, even with earplugs!. i'm sure brakes have their advantages, i personally don't care for them, however they do a great job at reducing and taming felt recoil. have you considered the 30-06? recoil isn't much and it is a capable round for all north american game. i understand that the 7-08 is another very capable round as well and would be a good choice as well. my favorite is the 270,cant go wrong with that one! good luck.

Ive got the X Bolt Western Hunter edition in 300WM. I have only shot it with the brake on so far, so I don't have a comparison, but I will say that shooting off a bipod with rear bags it wasn't that bad. I am not recoil sensitive, but I don't care for it. I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 270 with a brake, and it is the cat's meow. Excellent balance of lightweight and soft shooting. I always hunt with hearing protection, so I know they are loud, but not really an issue. I walked up on a bedded buck a couple of years ago with only iphone ear buds in and shot that 270...no issue at all. No ringing either.
How have you liked your X-Bolt Western Hunter? I have been eyeing that same rifle in 300WM and for the price it's tough to pass on. They're a steal of a deal at the price point and I've heard nothing but solid reviews about the stock & barrel.

I have an X-bolt pro in 28 Nosler that will rattle most people teeth. Recoil is more than a 300WM. I still will never use a MB. I don’t want the extra length and surely don’t want to blow out a hunting buddies ears. I think if you are recoil sensitive go with a lesser cartridge. To me 300WM is actually pretty tame in a moderate weight gun. 8lbs let’s say. There are lots of rounds you can get to do a great job that are pleasant to shoot.

How have you liked your X-Bolt Western Hunter? I have been eyeing that same rifle in 300WM and for the price it's tough to pass on. They're a steal of a deal at the price point and I've heard nothing but solid reviews about the stock & barrel.
The most accurate out of the box bolt gun I’ve ever owned. FWIW, I think all of the X bolts are the same barrel so the only real difference between the western and the Hells Canyon are the flutes and ceracote

I also shoot a Hells Canyon long range in 28 Nosler, recoil is minimal for what it is I shoot 180s at 3160fps haven't had any noise complaints from anyone or the. I would buy another 1. The trigger is a little heavy for me when adjusted to the lowest possible but you can get a spring for 12 bucks that takes care of that.

I have a X bolt Hells Canyon Speed in .308 and do not use the break. I also have a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM and I do not use the muzzle break on it either. The Montana is a much lighter rifle than the Browning and I have no issues with recoil. It has a perceived recoil less than my old .300 Win Mag.

I have read many great reviews about the Browning X-Bolt. I bought the Western model in .300 Win Mag. My buddy who owns a gun shop bought one in .26 Nosler. Out of the box they shot 2" groups at best. I tried at least 10 different factory loads and bullet weights. He was limited to what was available for the .26. We sent the rifles back to Browning. Upon the return, the best I could get was 1.5" at 100 yards. Browning said they tuned the rifle to shoot Federal Nosler Partitions 180 gr. I spent many days at the range with that rifle. I had other people shoot the rifle. It just would not group tight. I really liked the way the rifle handled and carried. I shot it with and without the brake. We both sold the rifles. As can happen any other piece of mechanical equipment, I expect we just happened to get a couple bad ones. I'm not a Browning hater - I have several in my safe.

Sorry OP, regarding the muzzle brake, the rifle was much more pleasant to shoot with the brake. I really didn't want to shoot more then 6 rounds or so with out it.

I also shoot a Hells Canyon long range in 28 Nosler, recoil is minimal for what it is I shoot 180s at 3160fps haven't had any noise complaints from anyone or the. I would buy another 1. The trigger is a little heavy for me when adjusted to the lowest possible but you can get a spring for 12 bucks that takes care of that.
Yes sir. The MCARBO springs works as advertised. Well worth the money.

If you've got the 243 for practice, why worry about the recoil? Reason being is that if they're both X-bolts with similar controls and ergonomics than there isn't much different in the technique - so you won't need to practice a bunch with the big cartridge. My intention for my next rifle purchase is to get two matching rifles, one in .223 and one in my hunting round. I'll do most of my practice with the cheap, and light round with just final polish on the big gun. Sure you'll feel it while hunting, but the adrenaline will cover that admirably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back