Kimber Montana 308+Muzzel Break or 7mm-08+muzzel break

ErictheRed

Forum friends, I'm back at it with the Kimber Montana. I need to pick one up the weekend of the 14th. It's for the wife as our big trip to the Frank Church is coming up; the wife needs something a little lighter and less recoil than her Winchester M70 FW 30-06. I've narrowed the choice between a Kimber 308 and 7mm-08 in the Montana. I would plan to use the Kimber muzzle break with either one getting me b/w 10-12 lbs of estimated recoil. There is also a 7mm-08 without the threaded barrel I can get for $200 cheaper but the whole point is less recoil. I'm leaning toward the 308 but could be pulled back to the 7mm-08. I could use everyone's help in making the final call here. By the way, your help on the 280AI vs the 300WSM last weekend was awsome!

Forum friends, I'm back at it with the Kimber Montana. I need to pick one up the weekend of the 14th. It's for the wife as our big trip to the Frank Church is coming up; the wife needs something a little lighter and less recoil than her Winchester M70 FW 30-06. I've narrowed the choice between a Kimber 308 and 7mm-08 in the Montana. I would plan to use the Kimber muzzle break with either one getting me b/w 10-12 lbs of estimated recoil. There is also a 7mm-08 without the threaded barrel I can get for $200 cheaper but the whole point is less recoil. I'm leaning toward the 308 but could be pulled back to the 7mm-08. I could use everyone's help in making the final call here. By the way, your help on the 280AI vs the 300WSM last weekend was awsome!

I'd save the $ and ditch the muzzle break. Either the 308 or the 7mm-08 is gonna thump way less than the 30-06. Take the savings and buy a lead sled. She won't even feel the recoil at the range shooting off the lead sled. And in the field she certainly won't be bothered by the recoil. My 9-year-old killed his first two deer this year with a 7mm-08 without a muzzle break. No problems whatsoever and he only weighs like 70 lbs.

The Kimber stock design is great for recoil. Had one in 7mm-08 and a tikka in 7mm-08 and the Kimber recoiled noticably less and was 1.5lbs lighter. Either way both aren't much at all

Brake the .06 and feed it 165/168 grain bullets. mtmuley

I can't MT - it's a love affair with the Montana and my wife is just a sorry excuse for my mountain rifle afflication! Accept that this is going to happen and give me your opinion on which one...

I would save money and go with the .308 without the brake. In the Montana I think Kimber has designed the stock (actually Melvin Forbes had a lot to do with it) to manage the recoil in the light gun. I think it will out weigh the noise factor of the brake!

The 7mm-08 is available without the break. The 308 only has a break. Do you think under 12 lbs of recoil is reasonable with a break.

Go with the 7-08, and invest in some sort of recoil pad or lead sled. I hate brakes because of the noise, if she can shoot an 06 in a featherweight she can do the 7-08 in the montana. Its possible the noise will bother her more than the recoil. It is splitting hairs but you could use a copper 120gr and it will have slightly less recoil than most 140gr stuff. Also reduced recoil ammo makes for easy practice but I doubt it will come to that.

Go with the 7-08, and invest in some sort of recoil pad or lead sled. I hate brakes because of the noise, if she can shoot an 06 in a featherweight she can do the 7-08 in the montana. Its possible the noise will bother her more than the recoil. It is splitting hairs but you could use a copper 120gr and it will have slightly less recoil than most 140gr stuff. Also reduced recoil ammo makes for easy practice but I doubt it will come to that.

And no break saves me $200.00. Really $300 because the break is another $90.00

7-08 is a great round and low recoil it boils down to personal preference at this point. I don't believe you will notice the difference in recoil between the two in the Montana. I still say save $$ and forget the brake. I know the noise of the brake is more bothersome than the recoil.

It sounds to me like you really want the 308. If your wife isn't an experienced shooter I wouldn't be buying a Kimber Montana for her. Kimbers are not very forgiving of bad shooting form for how lightweight they are.

Does anyone on here think the 308 + break is a good idea?

Not saying it is a bad idea just that it is not worth the extra money. Until last year you couldn't use a .308 in Indiana where I am from unless it was in a handgun. So I had the same decision to make years ago. Do I want a .308 or a 7-08. A 15in T/C Encore pistol is a handful in either caliber and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two. I went with the .308 because I hand load and could find more components for the .308. So there is my 2 cents.

It sounds to me like you really want the 308. If your wife isn't an experienced shooter I wouldn't be buying a Kimber Montana for her. Kimbers are not very forgiving of bad shooting form for how lightweight they are.

Well put, they are nimble little rifles but they definitely share your heartbeat.

If reducing recoil is the main objective, the 7mm-08 with a 120 or 140 bullet will recoil less than the .308 with a 150 or 165 bullet. My 10 year old grandson got a 7mm-08 for Christmas two years ago, and shoots it well. I don't know if he would have done as well with the .308.
She should not need a brake with the 7mm-08, especially if she is shooting her 30/06 right now without one. Should be a world of difference.
I am not sure she would see much difference in the .308 and her 30/06 as far as recoil.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back