Kids backpacking foods

mxracer317

I’m taking my 10-year-old son backpack deer hunting this weekend and I’m trying to organize food for him.

He’s not a picky eater by any means, but doesn’t have the ability to eat an entire freeze dried meal.

We’re doing things like bars, etc. but I was wondering what some other backpacking foods we could add that won’t spoil easily and a kid would enjoy.

I made my 5 year old the same food I eat, including freeze dried meals. The trick to the freeze dried stuff is buy mylar bags off amazon or online. If you dont have time for mylar bags, a regular ziplock can hold boiling water surprisingly in a pinch. Then portion as needed. My kid loved beef stroganoff and mac n cheese. Breakfast was just oatmeal which we make from home. Just snack the rest of the day, no real lunches. Lots of snacks. Throw in some sweets too. If you really want to save a few bucks, buy #10 cans of mtn house. Cut the portions with idahoan potatoes to stretch it. Also makes adding water easier as its hard to make something soupy.

Other than that, eating bars, jerky, and trail mix would be rough if thats it. I also packed dried or freeze dried fruit, rice crispy treats, and a pb&j.

For dinner, divide the pre packaged Peak type meal in the appropriate serving size into a ziplock.

Same for breakfast.

Snacks and lunch. Just that. Portioned correctly. Bars. Jerky. Gorp. Gummies. Etc.

Don’t over complicate it.

I made my 5 year old the same food I eat, including freeze dried meals. The trick to the freeze dried stuff is buy mylar bags off amazon or online. If you dont have time for mylar bags, a regular ziplock can hold boiling water surprisingly in a pinch. Then portion as needed. My kid loved beef stroganoff and mac n cheese. Breakfast was just oatmeal which we make from home. Just snack the rest of the day, no real lunches. Lots of snacks. Throw in some sweets too. If you really want to save a few bucks, buy #10 cans of mtn house. Cut the portions with idahoan potatoes to stretch it. Also makes adding water easier as its hard to make something soupy.

Other than that, eating bars, jerky, and trail mix would be rough if thats it. I also packed dried or freeze dried fruit, rice crispy treats, and a pb&j.
How do you portion out the freeze dried mtn house in the mylar bags for the appropriate amount of water to add? Hope that makes sense?
I assume the quart size vs the gallon is better?

Great advice, Thank you!

I’m taking my 10-year-old son backpack deer hunting this weekend and I’m trying to organize food for him.

He’s not a picky eater by any means, but doesn’t have the ability to eat an entire freeze dried meal.

We’re doing things like bars, etc. but I was wondering what some other backpacking foods we could add that won’t spoil easily and a kid would enjoy.
EZ Mac n cheese cups! Just add boiling water to the line, when the noodles are soft add the cheese mix!

My son loves the ez Mac cups when we go hiking. We add spam yes spam to it, think hot dogs in Mac and cheese. You can buy single serve packs or slice from can and vacuum seal. Other things we will just share biscuit and gravy Mtn house his favorite. Hot cocoa packets, granola bars, fruit snacks, uncrustables, pop tarts. It’s his chance to eat all the stuff we do t normally buy that kids love, which adds to his likeness of backpacking.

My son loves the ez Mac cups when we go hiking. We add spam yes spam to it, think hot dogs in Mac and cheese. You can buy single serve packs or slice from can and vacuum seal. Other things we will just share biscuit and gravy Mtn house his favorite. Hot cocoa packets, granola bars, fruit snacks, uncrustables, pop tarts. It’s his chance to eat all the stuff we do t normally buy that kids love, which adds to his likeness of backpacking.
This.

Add in applesauce packets, dehydrated fruit, mini candy bars. And why not give him a full MH? If he only eats half, you basically paid $12 for a $6 meal. Worse things have happened.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back