MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Kenetrek vs Danner

WildWill

I've decided it's time for a new pair of boots my danner pronghorns are around 6 years old and they've seen better days. I was going to just get another pair of danner pronghorn 8in non-insulated sense I've always been happy with them. But I've been talking to my friend who lives in Oregon he has been wearing a pair of Kenetrek mountain extreme boots for over a year and he seems to think there the best boots ever.

I figured this was a good place to ask sense there appears to be some Kenetrek guys around here. I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for but is the extra money for the Kenetreks really worth it? I can buy two pairs of danners for the same price if they last as long as my others that's 12 years will a pair of Kenetreks last that long?

Thanks for the help.

I agree, I have the mountain extreme 400's thy fit better every time my feet are in them!

There are a lot of higher end boots better than Danner depending on your hunting style. Lowa, Hanwag, zamberlan, La Sportiva, Schnees, etc to name a few. Do research as they all fit a different style of foot. There are a chit ton of threads on here discussing the pros and cons of most all of these boots. Take care of your feet.

I have had my Mountain extreme non-insulated boots for 4 years now . They are great! I would definitely purchase another pair when I need some. Also if you wear out the bottom, they can have a new sole put on for a lot less money.

No comparison in my opinion. I tried danners a few times and before I knew better thought they were ok. Finally decided to try kennetrek a few years ago and the difference is amazing. The first day or two they were tough to get used to because they are a stiff boot. Great support and nice dry warm feet. I would go try some on, they are worth the money if they fit your foot. Every bodies feet seem to differ but, kennetrek, lowa, Meindl, are all worth a look in my opinion.

If you had a pair of Kenetreks for the last 6 years, you'd be on a hunting forum advising people to buy a pair of Kenetreks instead of Danners. :D

They are awesome, and I'm thinking they will last me 25 + years.

I have a pair of Danner Elk hunter 600's in 14 D, They are a bit to narrow for me after a day wearing them they hurt my feet. Thought they would stretch a bit but I was wrong. I also have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes non insulated also in 14D. They fit great and have been a great boot, NO sore feet. I had a pair of Cabela's Meindel's in 14D they also fit great. They had an eyelet pull out so I sent them back to Cabela's but the USPS lost them and that's when I bought the Kenetrek's. My next pair will be Kenetrek's either the 400 or 1000 gram models. In my case they fit great and I have had no blisters or sore feet after wearing them. If you can, try on a pair and see how they feel. If they feel good they are worth the price. If a boot doesn't feel good then no matter the price they aren't worth it.
Good luck,
Dan

Last edited:
I bought some kenetreks this fall. They were a bear for me to break in but now they are awsome. I had to change insoles since the high arch hurt my foot. They are so comfortable that they have become my work and everyday boots. I have a toe that I broke last summer and if I wear other boots or shoes it's pretty stiff by the end of the day. They are not cheap but well worth it imo.

Good and honest question from the OP. Keep in mind that anyone offering up a positive review of ANY expensive product that they paid for with their own money MAY be mostly done to reinforce to themselves that they made the right purchase.

With that said ...... I own three Kenetreks (Mt Extreme, Northerns and Bridgers) and have nothing negative to say (cost ... you pay for quality) except with the mountain extreme (50 mi break in is very very true). I used a pair of Danner Trophys hard for four years with zero issues. Meaning, most use was under a pack (25-75++ lbs) year round and under expected hard mountain use. I maintained these boots with the proper dressing and will say they were extremely comfortable, easy to beak in, no blisters and with never (almost) cold feet .

With that said, I do not regret selling the Danners (life remaining) and investing in Kenetrek boots. It really boils down to how often/hard you use your boots; expense should be secondary.

There are others on this site that wear out a pair of the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme in a few months so YMMV.

Last edited:
Best thing to do is to try on as many different brands of boots and go with the ones that fit your feet the best. I loved my old American made Danners, but their new ones don't even compare. Try a lot on, buy once.

I'm like some of the others, the break-in period for me was a MESS! Once broken in, they are like a dream to wear. I have had mine re-soled already and couldn't be happier with the boots & customer service. Personally, I wouldn't consider buying a pair of Danners.

I have a few pairs of Danners and a pair of Schnees Beartooth (similar $ to the Kenetreks). I wear the Danners while pheasant hunting, building deer stands, etc and they are great. But when I go elk hunting in the mountains, I wear my Schnees. That is where you see the difference. So if you are buying boots for general use, stick with the Danners. If you are buying boots for extreme conditions (ie mountain hunting), buy the Kenetreks (or similar).

I bought a used pair of Mountain Extremes off of the bowsite classifieds, so I didn't have to go through all of the break in period. I thought they were excellent boots. Very vell made and sturdy, just a bit heavy and clunky for what hunting I do, which is mostly archery antelope hunting and archery elk in meadows and low lands. So, I didn't put them to the 'test' of mountain spelunking and extreme hiking like a lot of guys do. I sold them and got the high top Bridger hikers and have never looked back. They are nice and light and still give me the support to elk hunt in rougher terrain when I have needed it, and I can wear a pair of wool socks under them and keep my feet warm in cold weather. I have put many miles on them and they just keep getting more comfortable, which should be a no brainer, but they have fit nicely right out of the box. There was really not much of a break in period, either.

I think it all depends on type of use and how much use. If you do most of your hunting in farmland or on the range hunting pronhorns or pheasants the danners may be just fine. If you do most of your hunting in the high country or plan on elk or mule deer the investment is worth it.

I personally have a pair of 4 year old pronghorns that I made work for for my mule deer hunt. It rained for two days but luckily we tagged out early, otherwise I think there would have been issues. But, back at home they are all I need. My next trek out west will see me in a pair of kenetreks however.

Kennetreks by a long shot.

I've got a pair of the Hardscrabble hikers and the Danner Prognhorn. Only took the Danner's out once we had a lot of snow on the ground and needed the insulation.

I'll hopefully be getting some insulated Kennetreks and retiring my Danners. They were okay, but don't stack up compared to the Kennetreks.

Thanks for the advice guys. After doing a little looking I found out that cabelas was the only place in my area that carried Kenetreks. So after work I ran over to check them out well they only had one model the hardscrabble. After trying them on they are definitely stiff but my foot fit the size 11 perfectly and they felt comfortable. Unfortunately these are not exactly what I'm looking for the hardscrabble were 6in and I want a 8-10in boot and was really looking at the mountain extreme.

Im not sure where to go from here I absolutely hate buying hunting clothing or boots without first trying them on but I can't find anywhere in my area that carries the boots I'm interested in. I assume that if the hardscrabble size 11 fits then a size 11 mountain extreme should fit but you know what they say about assuming. Do you guys think the sizes will be the same? Also does Kenetrek have a 30 day return policy or something like that?

Thanks for the advice guys. After doing a little looking I found out that cabelas was the only place in my area that carried Kenetreks. So after work I ran over to check them out well they only had one model the hardscrabble. After trying them on they are definitely stiff but my foot fit the size 11 perfectly and they felt comfortable. Unfortunately these are not exactly what I'm looking for the hardscrabble were 6in and I want a 8-10in boot and was really looking at the mountain extreme.

Im not sure where to go from here I absolutely hate buying hunting clothing or boots without first trying them on but I can't find anywhere in my area that carries the boots I'm interested in. I assume that if the hardscrabble size 11 fits then a size 11 mountain extreme should fit but you know what they say about assuming. Do you guys think the sizes will be the same? Also does Kenetrek have a 30 day return policy or something like that?

Ask Cabela's to order what you want so you can try them on. They should offer that service for you without making you purchase the boot.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back