Kenetrek mountain extreme 400

indian larry

I have been meaning to do a write up on these boots ever sense i found out they expect you to walk 50 miles on flat ground as a "brake in". I got these boots just a little over a year ago and had alot of problems but figured i would run them through the ringer.

If you read any of the for sale threads on this site you know most claim these boots didn't fit right in the heal or rubbed the heal wrong. As was the case with me, these boots are extremely stuff and hard to brake in. Maybe thats where the extreme in the name comes from. its not that they rubbed on me do to poor fit or being to loose but had 0 flex and forced my heal into the back of the boot. that continued about 10-15 miles even after the "brake in". I had to duct tape my heals for quite some time.

I must say after the "brake in" they really aren't a bad boot, except that there isn't anything left of them and its time for a new boot. I have taken these boots on 3 big hunts along with 10 or so days in the field for day hikes and quick hunts.

On snow they are nice but I have to avoid water because if these things get wet your feet are wet the rest of the trip. I wouldn't even trust these things with a set of gaiters and 3 inches of water. I did get them really wet on a moose hunt and i must say they were never the same after that and stretched like crazy!

Along with the laces not even lasting a year there isnt much tread left on the bottom of the entire boot. its hard to even trust these things on wet grass anymore. I see why they would resole these things but then again that starts you over with the brake in process again.

I have had other boots in the past like mendels that broke in very easy and still are my boot of chose on any day hike and they have made it through 3 hunting seasons. These boots don't get my vote thats for sure. Here are some pictures.

Do your boots last longer then a year?

IMG_5368.jpg
IMG_5370.jpg
IMG_5374.jpg
IMG_5378.jpg

Everyone seems to fit factory boots differently. I have a pair of Danners that never did fit right, so they are just worn on flat ground while doing chores. My Irish Setter Elk Trackers rubbed my heels initially, but after getting wet and breaking in, they have been very comfortable until worn out. I now have been wearing Kenetrek Extreme 400 Mountain Boots for the past year and found them comfortable on my feet from the get-go. They are the best boots I have ever worn for sidehill and steep mountain hiking and hunting. I am very pleased with them and look forward to many more hunting miles this season.

Sorry to hear that. I have a pair that is going on their sixth season, this fall. Got them re-soled last year. All I ever do is put new pitch blend treatment on them every few months. I have no idea how many miles I have on mine, but it is a lot and in wet, cold, snow, rock, and some in flat easy ground.

Wish your results had been different.

Larry, your problem is that your walking too much. Everyone knows that boots are for show and shoes are for go. ;)

I had two pairs, the 400 gram thinsulate and the safari guide series. Both only lasted about 6-9 months of hard wear of 500-800 miles each. Mine did the same thing with the front rubber layer and the soles were wearing out. I had a company in Montana resole the 400 gram guide series and they could not be worn afterwards the left boot leaked and both boots could not be comfortable worn after the resoling. I tried on a pair of Miedi Perfect and they felt good. I like the price better too.

Attachments

• 20130902_174819.jpg
    20130902_174819.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,099
I love the boot for day to day use, but I have a heel slip in the high country. That being said, I got my monies worth out of this pair. I still wear them nearly every day, but retirement won't be long.

Miller that's awesome! Just cut the high top part off and you have yourself a nice pair of house slippers!

I love mine! I also have Miendl perfect hikers and Denali and like the kenetreks hands down for comfort and durability.

Last edited:
Evidence suggests that based upon price and durability these boots are over rated.I always like to wait a few years to see how expensive boots truly perform through other peoples experience.:) Wow, Miller you owe it to yourself to spring for something new ,I'm thinking.

I wear a pair of Kenetreks about 300 days a year.I spent years looking for a boot that worked for me and I've found it. As long as I don't see a decline in quality, I will continue to wear them as long as I'm fortunate enough to walk the Earth. When it comes to gear and clothes,I have never been one of those guys that's ''Brand loyal'' my safe has a lot of different makers firearms in it. I've got clothes from Sitka all the way to Dickies. I've owned trucks from 5 different makers,my point being I don't think Kenetreks are great because I own them.I own them because they work great for me.

I'm on my third season now and it it seems like they are finally just getting broke in good now. I don't know if I've walked 500-800 miles in my entire life...let alone in 6-9 months and one pair of boots. Mine are holding up good though, and the best boot I've had so far. Of course I've always tried to save money by buying cheaper...and I've paid the price.

These are the only boots I've ever ordered without trying on and been happy with. To me they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. My first pair is 18 months old and they are about shot but I wore them to work almost everyday since they are so comfortable. For the price I wish they lasted longer but I've never had a pair of boots that did so I guess that is an unreasonable expectation. They are wet too much of the time out here....

I have had a similar experience with heel problems on mine. As long as I don't walk more than a couple of miles they are fine. Walking any longer especially in sloped terrain they cause pressure at the back of my heel. Now I use then around the house and wear them to work. Not quite what I was expecting especially considering what I spent on them. I tried 4 different insoles and never could improve the situation. These will be my first and last pair of kenetrek boots. Could have bought at least 2 pairs of most other brands of boots for what I have spend on boots and insoles, not to mention the frustration.

Looked at a set of kenetreks this last weekend. They were too stiff in the sole, heavy and they looked like a blister waiting to happen. went with meindls they have performed in the past for me.

Dang... nice boots.

I should take a picture of my Meindls to compare... same amount of hunting/walking, and bought the same time. They're in much better shape. I can't believe how much tread is gone on those things.

Maybe you don't have them laced right?

You guys know you are supposed to pick your feet up when you walk right? ;)

I'm pretty amazed at the destruction on some of these boots. I think mtmiller must ride a moped around at work with his feet dragging on the pavement to get those soles like that with the uppers looking so good.

I've got a pair of Meindl Denalis and a pair of the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and both have given me issues with heel blisters. I think it is because of the stiff sole that the only option when climbing up steep slopes is for the heel to slip. I don't have the issue walking on normal trails, just when bushwhacking up and down steeper slopes. I haven't come close to wearing either pair out though, just a couple hundred miles on the Denali's and less than 100 on the Kenetreks.

My current boot is the Kenetrek 400 Mountain Extreme. The boots I replaced were Miendl Perfekt Hikers. Here are the differences. My Miedl's broke in quickly and I got 6 years of use out of them although they did start leaking after about 3 years. However at the end of that 6th year they were completely worn out and probably should've been retired at 5 years. The thing I hated about them though was my feet just hurt like crazy after hiking in them. I never got blister's but the ball of my foot would be so sore I'd walk around lame for a day or two before my feet would quit hurting. My Kenetreks are the most comfortable boot I've ever owned. My feet do not hurt after hiking. Just yesterday, I went on an 8 mile hike in the Little Belt Mountains. It required 20 creek crossings. Not one drop of water got through and my feet feel great this morning. No pain at all. However like some others have mentioned the heel does cause me some problems. I do have a blister on my left heel. I usually put a bandaid on my heels before hiking but forgot to yesterday, and I'm paying for it today. However this is not uncommon with me and boots. Just about every boot I've owned causes blisters on my heels except for the Miedl's I had. In short I'm still in search of the perfect boot. The Kenetreks are the closest I've found, but I have to agree with some others on here that I do believe they are over priced for what you get. In all honesty they should be closer to $300.00 than $400.00. In terms of quality they are NOT worth that much more than the Miendl boots!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the non-Cabelas branded Meindls? Prior to the K-treks I'm currently using, I had some that I got through Lathrop and Sons (who now carry Hanwag). In a side by each comparison with a co-workers Cabelas, there wasn't much of one. The non-Cabelas branded ones seemed much better built. IIRC, Meindl builds Cabelas boots to Cabelas standards and not their own. I much prefer the Meindls I had to my current K-treks as far as comfort with durability being about a wash for the uppers and the nod going to M for the soles.

Problem is I don't think anyone carries Meindls in the US, but AJ Brooks out of Vancouver does. I have not seen what hoops or costs it would require to get some into the US. My next pair of boots will either be Meindl or Hanwag.

I have a narrow tough to fit foot but Kenetrek mediums and good socks were comfortable from day one. Granted I don't put in the miles Indian Larry does, mine have held up outstanding and do not hurt the feet...it's my knees that looks like Larry's boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back