Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Keep up with the Jones's

Everybody here expressing their zen like philosophy about material wealth has a plan to spend their lottery winnings.

Harley got it right. We're conditioned to consume. Success is marked by that bigger house, the fancier vehicle, that sweet boat, etc. Breaking away from that and focusing on what you really need isn't bad, but getting the toys that signify success isn't all bad either.

Balance your drive for success with the understanding that the toys won't bring you happiness and you'll be fine. Reaching for the next level of success is pretty darned American.

I daydream of being able to retire at 56. I'm definitely guilty of buying niceties I don't need, but thinking of the day I don't have to work is the best deterrent.

Minus a few years after high school, when I dabbled in the trades, my entire life - 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for most of my 57 years - has been hunting, fishing, and the like.
Accordingly, every stupid little toy I ever splurged on was to support my addiction(s).
I could have saved all kindsa' money over the years. But I bought shit and did stuff.
Now, "retired", guess what? I really have no need to buy ANY stuff - I Already Did! Today my copious amounts of $$ go for experiences.
And all that stuff I did while younger, will give me memories (if I can remember them), when I can't use things or do the stuff anymore. What are those memories gonna' be worth??
And those Winston rods will be so smooth to cast if I'm still stumbling around the Three Dollar Bridge cobbles in the Madison when I'm 75.............

The way I do it is after the bills are paid, and I've put my monthly contributions to retirement, I put aside 25-50 bucks a check for personal stuff. Obviously it's not logical to save that way for a brand new truck or house, but as long as it takes me to set aside cash for something I want (not need,) I either know I really want it or I changed my mind and want somethig else and I have the cash to pay for it right then.

I believe we all have those desires for just a littlle better, bigger, nicer stuff. I'm in the same boat as SD-P-G in that I dream a lot but rarely act on those impulses. Being frugal my whole life has paid off. Everything I own is paid for. I love not having payments looming ahead. One of the best pieces of advice I was given is that other than home, If you can't pay cash for it you don't get it.

You'd be shocked (or maybe not) at how many otherwise bright consumers have no idea that punitive credit policies are in the fine print. Ability to repay is based on hope and reality is overwhelmed by the moment of possession's euphoria....then it's on to the next rush.....like our government..

Everybody here expressing their zen like philosophy about material wealth has a plan to spend their lottery winnings.

Harley got it right. We're conditioned to consume. Success is marked by that bigger house, the fancier vehicle, that sweet boat, etc. Breaking away from that and focusing on what you really need isn't bad, but getting the toys that signify success isn't all bad either.

Balance your drive for success with the understanding that the toys won't bring you happiness and you'll be fine. Reaching for the next level of success is pretty darned American.

You'd be shocked (or maybe not) at how many otherwise bright consumers have no idea that punitive credit policies are in the fine print. Ability to repay is based on hope and reality is overwhelmed by the moment of possession's euphoria....then it's on to the next rush.....like our government..

beached.JPG

Well I'm 22 and am just beginning my career in Project management in construction. I've been fortunate enough to land a job with a good company I've been with since beginning of last summer. I'm just now starting to look into the retirement and saving for that. That being said there's a lot of things I want to upgrade right now but the best move for me is finding a house. Nothing fancy, but paying rent is a stupid thing. At least with a house I'm making payments on the house and have something to show in the end. Renting is throwing money into the wind. @onpoint I bought a boat this last summer. I justify that purchase with the fact that if I'm not hunting, I'm in the boat chasing walleye so that's what I'll spend my money on.

I find that for me, the best antidote is getting outdoors. I tend to dream of new guns and gear when I'm sitting in my office 60 hrs a week during the hunting season. When I'm pheasant hunting, I seldom think of the autoloader that I may dream about at my office desk. The custom long-range rig that I envision building someday never crosses my mind when I'm glassing for elk. I think that sometimes I buy gear in some feeble attempt to make up for what I'm missing in time outdoors. Just my two cents...

One thing that keeps me grounded when I see people online flaunting their wealth is that more than likely they are drowning in debt to afford that lifestyle.

That thought has helped me and my girlfriend a lot to understand its not always "real"

I find that for me, the best antidote is getting outdoors. I tend to dream of new guns and gear when I'm sitting in my office 60 hrs a week during the hunting season. When I'm pheasant hunting, I seldom think of the autoloader that I may dream about at my office desk. The custom long-range rig that I envision building someday never crosses my mind when I'm glassing for elk. I think that sometimes I buy gear in some feeble attempt to make up for what I'm missing in time outdoors. Just my two cents...
I'd agree with that, its usually when I get home I think about how much better I could have done with fancy gear, but in the field you always make do with what you have present.

I have no compelling need to keep up with the Jones'. I'm pretty frugal, more out of necessity than anything. That said, I have no qualms about buying quality gear or dogs. I replace gear when it wears out, but rarely just buy something out of want. I'd rather spend money on gas and license fees than another gun to sit in the gun cabinet.

My pickup is closing in on 300k miles, and I'll be replacing that within the next year. The thought of a payment isn't appealing at all, but based on history and projected repairs over the next 10 years, it'll probably come out about a wash in terms of money spent when it's all said and done.

I'm constantly astounded by the amount of penny wise pound foolish people out there, i.e. they are miserly with purchasing decent ammo, good food, and buying tags, but then turn around buy new vehicles every 2-3 years and have 2x-3x the house that they need. I have numerous friends and family member that give me a hard time for spending, IDK, $2,000 a year more than them between going out to eat, hunting trips, and buying not horrible quality crap at the grocery store... meanwhile between their car payments and mortgage they are doling out at least 20-25k more than me.

To each their own, but to answer your question the Jones are idiots and once you realize this you will find yourself having a life way richer in experiences and IMHO one that is much more fun.
I see the same.
Im not rich but I know where I stand and I stay in my lane. Well mostly.
It seems like everyone I know is shocked that we can afford to hunt in other states.
They all have new trucks mostly in the 40-70k range.
I paid cash for my truck like 10 years ago its an 06 and getting beat up but damit its been a good investment as far as vehicles go.
If I completely stopped hunting I still wouldn't be able to afford one of those trucks.
My number one rule, keep large purchases For as long as possible!

Number two rule, take care of our health.

Number three rule, I don't want more than one car payment as a family!

Your long term stability and health will likely decide your wealth.

Ben speaks the truth.

I will say that there is another side to what some are saying, especially when they refer to how those who "do" or "have" certain things. We worked HARD, built a business, raised a family, and were fortunate enough to have the property we invested in and the business we built, from scratch, work out very well for us.

I make no apologizes for the manner in which we lived our lives nor do I have any regrets.

My husband is gone, and I am in failing health, so I thank God, we did what we did when we were able to do so.

We lived "our" lives, more than some, less thank others, but we never viewed what we did as "more" or "less" than what someone else was doing, or not doing, it was just what we wanted to do and we definitely didn't care what someone thought about what we did.

Some, even in my own family thought I had lost my mind after my husband passed and I bought a sailboat and literally lived on it for several years.

Each of you will reach a point in your life when you will not be able to do "whatever your dream is" Car, house, boat, hunting trip, rifle, new wife.

My suggestion is dont worry about what anyone thinks about how you live your life

Live "your" life, "your" way

You can not buy health and youth

In terms of how i keep from spending or keeping up. I have a silly routine where I will do all the research, find a great deal, actually put it in my shopping cart... then close my browser and walk away. End the end I really don't "need" it.

I am just this year upgrading from my $7 goodwill wool slacks for archery season. I rocked the same backpack for years (and honestly wish I wouldn't have upgraded to a MR as it just doesn't seem much better).

Every time I think about spending money on a big ticket item I think about all the elk tags I could buy with that money.

One thing that keeps me grounded when I see people online flaunting their wealth is that more than likely they are drowning in debt to afford that lifestyle.

That thought has helped me and my girlfriend a lot to understand its not always "real"

I'd agree with that, its usually when I get home I think about how much better I could have done with fancy gear, but in the field you always make do with what you have present.

Perhaps. But as I reflect on my past years of hunting, I wouldn't have done much better than with my original my Buck 119 Special, Remington 700 BDL 30-06, and Remington 870 pump action 12 gauge (most of which I've had for the better part of three decades). Of course, that doesn't keep me from having fun with my fleet of bolt actions, but I'm just saying that from a performance perspective, they don't really change the outcome.

In terms of how i keep from spending or keeping up. I have a silly routine where I will do all the research, find a great deal, actually put it in my shopping cart... then close my browser and walk away. End the end I really don't "need" it.

Done this many times myself. I was all ready to buy a new Mathews at Scheel's one time on a Christmas sale. Got a weird look from the sales guy when I handed it back to him and walked out of the store.

What does everyone else do to keep from keeping up with the Jones's?

I don't keep up with the Jones's. I don't care what the Jones's think of me or my possessions. While they tease me about my 20 year old boat, I smile and catch the same amount of fish, and still pull the kids on the tube in my paid for boat.

My truck is creeping up on 100K miles but it still does what I bought it to do. Newer ones are pretty, but for $60k they get for a new truck, I can buy 40ac of land here for that. $1000k truck payment...no way. I can buy a house for that. Take that $1000K a month and put it in an Roth IRA and see what you have at the end of the 5 years, compared to what that truck would be worth after 5 years.

I'll get to retire when my kids graduate, the Jones's won't.

I'm probably older than you are, but when you look at things a bit differently, it may make sense that the Jones's are broke....even though they may not look like it.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back