Keep up with the Jones's

Same here, but not Winstons, Sage XP's !

As for the original post, I couldn't give a toss what others have, I look after my family first, me second and friends third, that satisfies me, my truck is old, but reliable, I could keep up with others but I'm happy with my lot.
One of my goals in life was to be mortgage free by 50, I did it with a year to spare, then threw in my job to follow my dream, full time fly fishing/hunting guide, I'm not sure I could ever really retire, doing nothing would do my head in!
I treated myself to a Blaser a few years back, not to keep up with anyone, it was just for my own pleasure.

I have seen too many friends waste money just to keep up appearances, all it has done is limit their disposable income now when they really need it.

Cheers

Richard
Three cheers to another XP fan.
Best damn rod,EVER.

I’m the minority here. I love buying stuff whether I need it or not.

401K ✔️
Roth IRA ✔️
Bills paid ✔️

Anything left after that is fair game.

I’m not sure about retirement but slowing down would be nice.

Last edited:
The timing of this thread is apropos. We're considering selling our house and downsizing into something I can pay for with the equity from my current home. The thought of being free of a mortgage sounds super enticing.

Last edited:
paying rent is a stupid thing. At least with a house I'm making payments on the house and have something to show in the end. Renting is throwing money into the wind.

I own but would go back to renting in a second if I found a place that could meet my requirements.

Home ownership is not that great. Something breaks I gotta fix it, maintenance costs are all on me. Tax bill came today, went up again this year.

Owning a house takes money and time away from things I enjoy.

Not to side track the discussion, but in terms of home ownership what's the goal @rjthehunter? If "the goal" is to be happy and get to recreate as much as possible than I think you're misguided, or at least there's a more nuanced story to tell.

I have an Uncle who'd been divorced, but had a decent job with an early out at 55. He took it, and was living in a small 2 bedroom condo. As my closes relative during college I spend quite a bit of time with him. When I questioned him as to why at his age he didn't own a house, and how he was wasting his money every month, he said, "when the lawn needs mowed, I go for a bike ride. When the facet starts to leak I call the landlord and go kayaking for the afternoon. When the carpet wears out, or the hardwood needs refinishing, I take a short vacation and it done when I get back. Tell me what exactly I'm missing out on?"

If the goal is to play more, renting has a lot of positives.

While renting may not make you as rich in the long term as buying, what exactly is the money good for, what is it's purpose? In my mind I make money so that I can recreate more often or in cooler places. As a home owner, and especially at the end of a long day on the tractor (or in the middle of the night digging up a water line), I wonder if I don't have this whole "happiness" thing backwards.

Project management at 22 years old? mtmuley
I'm going to take a guess at this one... Probably graduated with an engineering degree and went over to a construction firm which hires engineers to project manage. Total guess on my part, I just knew a couple kids from my class who went and did this very thing.

Not to side track the discussion, but in terms of home ownership what's the goal @rjthehunter? If "the goal" is to be happy and get to recreate as much as possible than I think you're misguided, or at least there's a more nuanced story to tell.

I have an Uncle who'd been divorced, but had a decent job with an early out at 55. He took it, and was living in a small 2 bedroom condo. As my closes relative during college I spend quite a bit of time with him. When I questioned him as to why at his age he didn't own a house, and how he was wasting his money every month, he said, "when the lawn needs mowed, I go for a bike ride. When the facet starts to leak I call the landlord and go kayaking for the afternoon. When the carpet wears out, or the hardwood needs refinishing, I take a short vacation and it done when I get back. Tell me what exactly I'm missing out on?"

If the goal is to play more, renting has a lot of positives.

While renting may not make you as rich in the long term as buying, what exactly is the money good for, what is it's purpose? In my mind I make money so that I can recreate more often or in cooler places. As a home owner, and especially at the end of a long day on the tractor (or in the middle of the night digging up a water line), I wonder if I don't have this whole "happiness" thing backwards.

I know a lot of people in this very situation, spending all their time looking after their home. I bought a very modest house that doesn't require a ton of maintenance and up keep like many people I know. I personally bought a house because I hate people trying to tell me what to do, and more importantly the dog wanted a bigger back yard. You can't convince a dog he doesn't need a bigger back yard... the sooner you cave the better ;P

As an engineer forced to project manage, I resemble that. High stress, total accountability, zero control over manpower/budget, customer yelling at you, boss yelling at you, foreman yelling at you. But at least you make $10 more than the guy at the car wash.
I enjoy the company I'm with. If I need something in terms of manpower, I can usually get it, it definately is high stress but I enjoy it so far. Phone rings almost nonstop for people looking for answers on just about everything under the sun...

I get tremendous satisfaction designing and building homes for my family. Pretty much couldn't handle it any other way.

As a subcontractor we deal with PM's daily. Unfortunately most aren't trained nor construction specific matriculated. Often poorly compensated clerks whose GC owner has saddled them with a brokeazz 2nd or 3rd tier sub who has the schedule under water....so they bum rush the legit subs to spend their dough on catching the flow chart up.

....and we remind them of our perfected contract rider.

As an engineer forced to project manage, I resemble that. High stress, total accountability, zero control over manpower/budget, customer yelling at you, boss yelling at you, foreman yelling at you. But at least you make $10 more than the guy at the car wash.
In my experience, PM's benefit greatly from hands-on experience before the management part. mtmuley

In my experience, PM's benefit greatly from hands-on experience before the management part. mtmuley
100%. I worked 3 years as a Mason/concrete finisher and that's helped tremendously. I still love getting out there and helping when it's needed. Too many of these guys aren't willing to get their hands dirty. That translates into them not knowing the means and methods required to successfully complete/manage a job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back