PEAX Equipment

Kansas on my own public land Mule deer

Wow man great looking buck nice work!

Does Kansas have a point system? Ive never thought considered Kansas much glad you brought us along for this!

Does Kansas have a point system? Ive never thought considered Kansas much glad you brought us along for this!

Yes we have a point system but it's kind of a two tier system for Mule deer for non-res. We have a non-res whitetail draw and you also have to draw a Mule deer stamp. There are quotas of stamps allowed per unit. The regular tag is $442.50 the mule deer stamp is another $152.50 and a preference point is $26.

Honestly I don't know how hard it is to get a non-res mule deer tag because they don't really publish that specific info. Hopefully some of the guys on here that have hunted non-res mule deer will chime in.

For residence we can buy a statewide whitetail tag over the counter but you have to draw for what is called an either species tag which is good for about the western half of the state. It takes 1 point to draw so I get an either species every other year.

Kansas has kind of a funny draw system. You can build points, but most units you have a great chance of drawing with no points and some units you are guaranteed to draw with no points. You just have to look at the draw report, and it is very simple to figure your odds. They don't quota the non resident tags by weapon type. So putting in for archery or muzzleloader does not increase your chances any over putting in for a rifle tag. Just look a the report and it will have a total quota and a total number of non residents that applied and you can get you odds from that.

As far as mule deer go... First thing is that non residents can only end up with a mule deer stamp with an archery or muzzleloader tag. It is not possible for a non res to get a mule deer stamp with a rifle tag.

The process is kind of funny again here too. You put in for a whitetail tag for the unit and weapon you desire, your preference points count here.

When you fill out your application, you will be asked if you would like to be entered in to the mule deer stamp secondary draw. If you select yes, you pay up front the additional fee for the mule deer stamp. They then put all people who successfully drew a whitetail only tag and chose to put in for the mule deer stamp also into a random drawing for the quota of mule deer stamps for your unit. Preference points are not used and have no bearing on your chances of drawing a mule deer stamp.

The number of people who put in for the stamp is not on the draw report. So I always just use the total number of non res archery and mz tags given and the number of stamps given to figure the worst case senario odds of getting a stamp. Once you draw the stamp, you now have a tag that is good for either species. The "bad" part of this draw process is you have a good chance of being stuck with an expensive whitetail only tag in units that don't have a real high whitetail density on the available public land.

Kansas has kind of a funny draw system. You can build points, but most units you have a great chance of drawing with no points and some units you are guaranteed to draw with no points. You just have to look at the draw report, and it is very simple to figure your odds. They don't quota the non resident tags by weapon type. So putting in for archery or muzzleloader does not increase your chances any over putting in for a rifle tag. Just look a the report and it will have a total quota and a total number of non residents that applied and you can get you odds from that.

As far as mule deer go... First thing is that non residents can only end up with a mule deer stamp with an archery or muzzleloader tag. It is not possible for a non res to get a mule deer stamp with a rifle tag.

The process is kind of funny again here too. You put in for a whitetail tag for the unit and weapon you desire, your preference points count here.

When you fill out your application, you will be asked if you would like to be entered in to the mule deer stamp secondary draw. If you select yes, you pay up front the additional fee for the mule deer stamp. They then put all people who successfully drew a whitetail only tag and chose to put in for the mule deer stamp also into a random drawing for the quota of mule deer stamps for your unit. Preference points are not used and have no bearing on your chances of drawing a mule deer stamp.

The number of people who put in for the stamp is not on the draw report. So I always just use the total number of non res archery and mz tags given and the number of stamps given to figure the worst case senario odds of getting a stamp. Once you draw the stamp, you now have a tag that is good for either species. The "bad" part of this draw process is you have a good chance of being stuck with an expensive whitetail only tag in units that don't have a real high whitetail density on the available public land.

I'm glad you chimed in on this because it is an odd system for non-res on mule deer. Because they don't give any odds or results on the stamps I could never tell how hard or easy it is to get one. I do have to say there are some smokin good whitetail out west too depending on unit.

Thank you both very much for the information that is really interesting. I may have to put that with a Nebraska Sandhills deer hunt as a "must try"!

My head is currently stuck on getting a nice mulie and the OP's buck is that and then some; thanks again!

One thing to consider for non-res applying for muledeer. If you apply and don't draw you are hunting on a muzzle loader/archery tag for whitetail. Nice deer Southwind, Congrats.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back