Caribou Gear

Kansas/Nebraska turkey hunting trip. .

RUT JUNKEY

Hey guys, Its about that time again. I will be hunting here in Indiana the first 5 days ( hope I need just one morning) then Wes and I will be heading to Kansas again this year, he mentioned we might as well go to Nebraska for 3 days too. I've been doing some research online for Nebraska and it sure looks like the walk in areas are spread out and not as big? If anyone has any experience or tips for Nebraska, I'm all ears and any help is much appreciated. ( I'd just as soon stay in Kansas, but, I think Wes has his heart set on Nebraska too) . Thanks and good luck to all this spring!

Have you looked at Nebraska's public access atlas they have? You are correct about a lot of areas being small. There are a lot of really small privately owned areas that are open to various hunting activities. At least that was my experience in the eastern part of the state.

I went on my first nebraska turkey hunt last spring. Killed 1 Bird on public land opening morning. Killed 2 others in a old couples back yard that was next to a farm. My advice is dont go to early unless you have a feed lot to hunt, seems like they worry about food more than anything. I think thers lots of good opportunity in Nebraska but just have to find the right person to let you hunt.

Todays cool weather has stopped the strutting in NW Nebraska. In this area they have moved off the feed lots already and are more spread out.

Plenty of them in this area.

Nebraska has two major types of public lands. One is the state lands (National Forests too) and the others are the Open Fields lands which is the equivalent of Walk-in areas in other states. Open Lands areas are where private landowners allow hunting on their property.

I guess I can't compare. I live in MN and our public lands are all very small parcels. The lands I've found to hunt in Nebraska and generally larger than anything I can hunt in MN.

Check out the NE website. They have a section on their website labeled where to hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back