Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kansas Elk!

AH64DMatt

I've been granted the tag of a lifetime.

I returned to Ft. Riley Kansas to medically-transition out of the Army. I have various conditions that both ground me from flying and are found unfit for future service.

When I arrived at the Warrior Transition Battalion, I immediately went to the Outdoor Recreation office and put in for an Elk draw. Low and behold, I received a phone call a couple months ago saying I had been drawn for a cow tag. I lost my mind. I jumped up and down, screamed and yelled until everybody thought I was crazy (I am here because I was diagnosed with PTSD, among other disqualifying conditions, so they're not far off :).

Fast forward to the end of September. I was talking with the guy at Outdoor Rec, and casually, he mentioned that another person had just shot a cow. He told me this guy had a November Rifle tag, just like I do, and I went "what? you can hunt before November?" He said "yes, anything less than rifle until your season starts, then you can hunt with rifle!".

I darted home, threw my hunting gear in a bag, and headed out to scout. So far, I've found where they're coming for corn, where they're crossing a river, where they're bedding, but I haven't found the actual animals yet. It's only a matter of time before I find them...Just thought I'd post this up for you all...I can't wait to see one in shooting light and arrow it.

Have a great day! Happy hunting...
Matt

Congratulations on drawing. I applied for the first time this year. Very long odd for residents, slightly better odds to draw for resident military folks.

Reading of other Ft Riley success stories, it sometimes can come down to maneuvers (tanks, infantry carriers, artillery) moving the elk out of their sanctuary spots. Good luck to you Matt!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back