Kansas elk 2023

Opening day debacle unfolding from the Ft Riley hunting/fishing page.

It seems that an elderly gentleman (89?) took a 160 yard muzzleloader shot on his bull, with the bull facing head on to the shooter. At the shot, the bull ran, and shortly afterwards a tracking attempt started. It was super hot, and the hunter and his octagenerian companion were properly concerned about spoilage on this 100 degree day. Joined by a third party (seems this guy is on post recreating a lot, and has helped on multiple big game recoveries) they bumped the bull, waited a period of time (short amount by most accounts) and probably bumped it again.

Another hunter/tracker found the expired elk the next morning. Vultures may have been consulted. It was determined that no meat was salvageable, but the third party individual did get a temporary salvage tag to remove the head for the purposes of getting it to the actual hunter.

Photos of the elk are posted on the Facebook page, including this one:

5D9C8500-C777-4B63-A146-40FD0B26ED14.jpeg

@Addicting
O-ring underneath firing pin screw results in zero debris on breech face! I did have to close “with purpose” to lock it up. I‘m very glad you’ve helped this rookie muzzleloader hunter.

I shot a couple of 245gr aerotips to confirm 50 SABR zero, and then shot a couple of 295gr aerotip (my bullet of choice) with about 1 inch lower trajectory.

Wheels up tomorrow morning around 2:30 for one of the open zones. With a low temp in the mid 60’s, this summer acclimatized Kansan might need an extra layer under the fluorescent orange vest.

Leaving the closed game/fish offices, I attempted to make my way towards the training/recreation areas. Unlike most surface roads in Kansas, the roads on post are not straight. They twist, turn, rise and fall with the terrain, and in the cantonment area there is a river bottom forest that blocks long distance views. I inadvertently saw more of the post than I have ever seen as a kid. Finally finding the main road north, I made it to the southern limit of the main recreation area.

Driving east I found the main small arms firing range. Lots of soldiers were taking a break in the mid-day heat as I drove past, and later I heard the unmistakable sound of automatic rifle fire. Topping one rise after another I finally stopped to do a little visual inspection of the impact zone. The far hills appear to have been burned. This is a common practice in grasslands of Kansas, but my guess is this was caused by exploding shells.

View attachment 288616
View attachment 288618
I feel like a primer of the formation of the Flint Hills might be in order. I have been taught that during the last Ice Age, huge ice sheets covered Kansas, and as they glacially flowed along, they flattened the surface of the prairie underneath. Eons of erosion than carved the valleys down off these flattops, where you would expect to find either intermittent or permanent water. Lying down on the treeless flats, you would swear that the entire area is flat. Until you get to the edge of the flats, and look down steep drops into the valleys below.

The limestone that was used in building structures in early Kansas is found along these cuts, quarried out of large limestone deposits. Other uses of this limestone include fence posts and gravel making. Traveling along roads made with this limestone rock will leave a fine white residue all over your car.
Itill also eat up a good set of tires quickly

First day on the post hunting.

I left home at 2:30a.m., with George Nouri’s guest trying to teach me about ADC (after death communications) as I was driving northward. A big lightning display farther east might have been making a dent in the parched lands that are Kansas.

I was slightly nervous about being in a wrong zone, so I kept checking the iSportsman zone closure page before arriving at my chosen zone. The ACIS map designates portions of zones that have row crops present. The two zones that I was going to explore/hunt had several such areas. Each one held dried up corn, and not my hoped for soybeans. I was also surprised by more than one road dead ended, instead of traversing the entire section.

I found my jumping off spot, and commenced getting dressed for the action. While messing with my pack, I glanced up to see three deer crossing the road to going on to post property. A few minutes later, I caught the flash of a bigger critter crossing at the same place. In the barely lit road, I convinced myself that it was an elk.

Finding where a two track left the main gravel road, I dropped down the hill to a waiting spot. Wondering if I heard elk some distance away, I filed away that location, as the wind was wrong, and then became very swirly.

With no confirmed sightings and the temperatures climbing, I decided that some driving was necessary to check out the open zones. Corn, hay and CRP landscapes with riverine bottomland was scouted out. 5 big tom turkeys crossing a recently hayed field made me remember some precious fun fall turkey hunts. Bittersweet memories now that Kansas has cancelled fall turkey hunting.

kansasson arrived later than planned, due to a testing system snafu, and long lines at the Fort Riley visitors center. On his arrival we drove back out to listen and look for elk, and I was super excited to finally find water in a hunting zone. We plan on setting up fairly close to the water source, hoping to intercept movement too or from water.

Last edited:
Early morning hunt……

Amazing cacophony of bird life with turkeys launching off the roost flying right over us at sunrise, three species of owls calling, and a huge mob of crows having a huge fight upstream from us.

But actually it is quite hard to call it a stream, as nothing is flowing, just stagnant pools periodically interrupted by Flint Hills rocky shoals now exposed.

As I told Mrs kansasdad had we been deer hunting, my hands would have been quite bloody this morning. The first doe finally spooked at under ten yards, and later on there was another close distance encounter with a summer coated whitetail.

We are currently sitting in a sports bar cheering on the KState Wildcats, who are playing “just over the hill” from Fort Riley.

Cold front bringing much needed rain to Kansas tonight. Temps are dropping and the wind has switched from the north and we are finally having some true Kansas wind.

I have parked myself near the Fort/private boundary where there is a large field of lightly yellowing soybeans on the private side. Cut corn with some rows left standing are on the Fort’s side.

Walking from the access point I was an ear witness to artillery and machine gun fire again. The impact zone is throwing up large columns of smoke.

From firing to multiple explosions down range was around 20ish seconds. I think the critters out here react about the same way to artillery maneuvers that city dwellers pay attention to sirens…..not so much.

This just in from our Ft Riley news desk: rain is wet!

Walking out (no elk, but two summer coated coyotes at 32 yards) across a mile of cut corn, and magically I’m a couple inches taller.

I‘ll happily take the rain, hope it kicks the rut off for tomorrow.

I can now say that I've been "turned around" three times in my life in Kansas. I was coming up out of the "canyon" forest with complete grey greasy skies and drizzle,so I had no sun to help orient me as I climbed up and got to the "flat" top of the hill. I was using OnX tracking so that I could follow the track down to the bottomlands in the dark without getting rimrocked, or miss the creek crossings as the banks are quite steep. I veered off course a bit as I wanted to check out a water catchment to see if there was any water present (dry) and also to not be in the way of the tractor stacking up hay bales. I got to the middle of the hayfield, and was looking for where I though my SUV was parked. 90 degrees to my left, there she was parked.

Mind bending

I did find areas in the corn where someone has been chowing down. Large sections of stalks about 2-3 feet high, while adjacent areas are taller than me, with corn husks still attached. But I think that this activity is not recent. No discernible tracks found, and I still haven't any signs of rubbing (deer or elk). I think the open area that I concentrated on doesn't have its usual amount of big game due to the lack of water.

I did wave at four more trail cameras as I went by (three cellular, one standard). I will come prepared next week with a sign I plan on holding up as I pass by any trail cameras:

"Got elk on your cameras?. Call kansasdad at BR549 to let him know"

The next week's open areas list was published today. My favorite zone is open, as well as the surrounding areas that have soybeans present (Ft Riley elk candy).

Gonna be up for this weekend, but won't get to hunt it all as kansasson/wife are having a gender reveal pahrtay. Mrs kansasson is fancy like that.

Facebook group “Fort Riley hunting and fishing” had a recent post that struck me as funny

IMG_4799.png

Last weekend I saw multiple trail cameras while I was hunting/ searching for elk and signs of elk. I generally wave as I go through the cameras field of view. And I have an idea on how I might use this technology to my advantage…..

IMG_4798.jpeg

My plan is to keep this laminated call for help in my pack, and then whip it out to show every camera I see. If nothing else, it might give the camera owner a chuckle, and they might be inclined to lend ol’ kansasdad some actionable intel. Or they might try to hose me too, but I’m gonna be ready to try it if the occasion arises.

Because I've been hunting the periphery of the recreation areas, I haven't had to go through a gated entrance to the post. But I still need to renew my 7 day access pass, for if stopped by a post warden I will need to show hunting license, Ft Riley elk tag and post access permission. And when parked on a peripheral post/county road, they want me to place the car permission slip on the dash, as if I was fully on military land.

Today, I almost forgot to get the online access pass. Still no plans to go through a gate, but want to be fully authorized, as the Fort is very strict on who is allowed to be on the premises.

I drove up to Ft Riley for a Friday evening hunt. The zone I wanted to hunt was open for recreationists, so I was hopeful for some semblance of success. The traffic construction south of the post probably ate up 30 of extra travel time.

Arriving in spitting drizzle, I found two cars parked on the south side, and none where I wanted to start. Dressing at the car, I realized that in my haste to be away, I had grabbed one Meindl boot, and one Wolverine boot, so it was trail runners for the hike instead.

As I was threading my way through the woods at the base of a Flint Hills hill, I heard my first bugle on the post. I don’t think that bugle was made by an elk, however.

Stopping at a higher spot overlooking food plots and a lower cut hayfield, I enjoyed feeling slightly chilled by the drizzle. Faint cow calls floated up out of the trees to the west. We’re these also man made?

My nose was a full on snot waterfall, as evidently I’m reactive to ragweed, serecia and wild sunflowers. Blowing my nose to clear breathing passages, I contemplated my next move. The topo lines showed me at the base of a steep hill, and I knew that climbing up would allow me to see the flat tops (expected to be recently cut hayfields) up top. I decided to go up, wanting to really learn the lay of the land I was hunting.

Bashing my way through more trail-less woods, I had multiple deer blowing at my elephant walk. Reaching the crest of the hill, I eased myself into viewing position, hoping to catch some deaf, silent elk on the hay. No dice.

Sitting below the crest of the ridge to avoid skylining myself, I watched the fields below and openings back in the woods. A few minutes after sunset I spotted a cow ease out of the woods, shaking and stretching, just about exactly where I saw the little herd on my August scouting trip.

Carefully glassing the adjacent area, I found an orange clad hunter in a treestand. I think this hunter was likely the source of the “bugle” I had heard earlier.

The end of legal shooting time arrived, and it was time to get back to the road. Moving along the hayfield/hill edge, the going was fairly smooth until it became time to drop down to the flats below. I had made it to the fire break/boundary indicator, and turned to descend.

STEEP!

And very slippery with wet weeds, sharp edged Flint Hills chert and limestone, and every so often, my favorite, limestone gravel resting on big flat limestones that were the equivalent to walking on slanted smooth flooring with marbles and legos strewn about.

Very wet from rain and sweat, I was super happy to get back to the SUV. A slightly circuitous route to Burger King and a “2 for $5” I was on the road for home, arriving just before midnight.

Which gives me something to consider. Suppose I connect after sunset on the Kansas cow of my dreams, while hunting solo. Gutless game bags packed out in the dark, perhaps down that steep slippery embankment would be an adventure in type 2 fun for sure. A diagonal side hill approach will be much more my style. But, wearing some good supportive boots will help tremendously. But I won’t attempt an evening hunt on a day where I need to be back home that night.

The rest of the weekend was spent with family, as kansasson and wife are pregnant with our first grandchild. Driving on the interstate to get to the gender reveal party, we had a 70mph front tire blow out, which added to the weekend’s excitement.

It is Facebook official, they are having a girl!

Today the post released zone closures only through Thursday. I’m used to getting a 7 day notice, so I don’t know what will be open this weekend until later this week. Whatever is open, I will be up for the adventure

Facebook group “Fort Riley hunting and fishing” had a recent post that struck me as funny

View attachment 292300

Last weekend I saw multiple trail cameras while I was hunting/ searching for elk and signs of elk. I generally wave as I go through the cameras field of view. And I have an idea on how I might use this technology to my advantage…..

View attachment 292301

My plan is to keep this laminated call for help in my pack, and then whip it out to show every camera I see. If nothing else, it might give the camera owner a chuckle, and they might be inclined to lend ol’ kansasdad some actionable intel. Or they might try to hose me too, but I’m gonna be ready to try it if the occasion arises.
Post his number, Ill send him photos from NM. next month!

Back