Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Kansas elk 2023

Here is the headache that can happen on post: area closures due to training.

44F13D6B-30F4-4338-93B1-CC480A5054CE.png

Here is a map of the post. Red areas are no human activities. Other areas are archery or shotgun limited areas. My Savage 220 might come into play.

C6CC926C-1EC3-46B3-A4D0-46F89777FDEE.jpeg

Any resident can buy the tag OTC, which is then good for all of Kansas except Morton county (elk refuge in farthest southwest county in Kansas) or Ft Riley. Various weapons restrictions apply. I can hunt elsewhere if I wanted to, but that is a very low density option.

View attachment 285333

Ft Riley elk herd numbers run from 250-400 on 100k+ acres. Much higher density on post than off, as the lands surrounding the post have some outfitted hunting going on. If you are an elk, staying on post is better for your longevity, just don’t be near any artillery or tank practices if you don’t want to get blown up.
I grew up around Elkhart. Actually played them in sports often. Funny to me how the one county you can't hunt elk in has a town named after the beasts.

Congrats again on the draw.

Here is the headache that can happen on post: area closures due to training.

View attachment 285334

Here is a map of the post. Red areas are no human activities. Other areas are archery or shotgun limited areas. My Savage 220 might come into play.

View attachment 285335
I take back what I said about the short season. :) Sounds like it's going to be a challenge, but super fun I'm sure. Congrats on the tag!

I received a KDWP mailing today that includes a return envelope for lower incisors and a small square of skin for aging and DNA analysis work. It also includes a hunter report card for harvest info as well as where I hunt, with weapon choices and sightings of elk and days hunted

9DDAA652-711F-4F61-8B1A-F1B8F541F00A.jpeg
0DC144D9-24CC-4D32-A5EF-358C2B1B7DE2.jpeg
5D6EF1F4-242B-4077-8B5A-AA7BC8BEB45A.jpeg

Online and in person shopping for a muzzleloader (taking advantage of extended season in September) has been completed with the purchase of an on sale CVA Optima (Scheels opened here in Wichita a month ago) and a @schmalts procured Leupold Freedom muzzleloader scope.

I need to be certain that my (avert your eyes, haters) crossbow is good to go (remembering last years Wyoming whitetail debacle of missed shots), as well as the 308 is dialed in.

Last edited:
Going to follow along.! When I was a boy scout we did a weekend trip camped and explored on base and partook in tank simulators if I recall correctly.

Good luck

Sir just bear in mind training areas closure can change, from day to day. Range control tries to give advanced notice, But the need of the Army come first. it's a military post after all. lol
I was the post warden when we restocked the Elk on Ft.Riiley. Please keep the forum updated on your hunt and let me know if I can be of any help. yep I'm new around here but I've been at it a long time.
again Congratulations on your draw.

Sir just bear in mind training areas closure can change, from day to day. Range control tries to give advanced notice, But the need of the Army come first. it's a military post after all. lol
I was the post warden when we restocked the Elk on Ft.Riiley. Please keep the forum updated on your hunt and let me know if I can be of any help. yep I'm new around here but I've been at it a long time.
again Congratulations on your draw.
A 2 post fresh member posting some useful help and offering to help even more if needed rather than "I don't want your honey hole but I need help"? What is this world coming to?!?!?!?

The world has gotten much smaller, I enjoy helping others with there hunts. Why keep our experience locked in
@seeth07 is simply having a little fun....so many new members show up for a hand-out of info and disappear never to be seen again. You have shown up to offer encouragement (which is heartily appreciated!) so it is a little out of the norm.

As you were at Ft Riley when the first transplants occured, you would have been there when I was just next door in Manhattan. My father was a professor in the vet school at KState, so I wholly cheer for the Cats in college athletics. I will say that I graduated from Manhattan High "some time ago", so I feel like I know the general area ok, but back then the highway to Junction City went from Ogden straight past the older officers homes right thru the post. This is my entire experience of being on Post. I am looking forward to capturing some of the history of Ft Riley and documenting the beauty of the Flint Hills.

Humm, we sure covered some of the same ground as I was station there for 6 years/2 different times. My wife worked at K-state as well Swine Research unit. her family is buried in Ogden. it's been a couple of years since I was through there.Outdoor Rec Center is full of information was the first building on the right if you come on Post from Ogden.

@SSGOldfart I will private message ("PM" on this forum) once you've hit your ten posts to unlock that option for you. I know you must be a fountain of wisdom regarding some of the finer points of adventuring on the post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back