Caribou Gear

Kansas elk 2023

I explored the southern aspects of the recreation area, getting passed by wheeled vehicles as I would stop to drink in the vastness of the land. Running parallel to the paved road, there are tank trails often within 50 yards distance away. Tank treads will do a number on asphalt paving, especially when it is over 95 degrees as it was this day.

Driving west towards the main N/S road of the training area (Old Hiway 81) I traveled along the only zone closed to recreational access. Daily check-ins are required to make sure that one knows which areas are open for usage, and regularly posted signs are a reminder of the potential danger. And it is possible to be in an area that might have troops on training, but would still be permitted for recreation, with the rule being that there is a 200 yard buffer zone to be allotted to all troops in training.

Driving towards Lake Milford on the west, I catch up to US 81 highway and with both side of the road being on post, I keep thinking to myself, look at all that deer/elk habitat. Oftentimes the largest bull taken off the post comes off the western areas, but these areas are also off limits to recreationists for long stretches of time.

As I continue north, I reach the area that has critter and human proof fencing, with barbed wire stretching over the top. This area is the gunnery complex, which is never open to non military activities. The highway finally reaches the north end of the post, and bends directly east towards the town of Riley. Several access points on the north end are explored, looking for good jumping off spots. Driving back towards Manhattan I start getting into familiar looking areas on the outskirts of town, and finally get to Manhattan itself.

Taking a trip down memory lane, I drive past the three houses that my family lived in while my dad was on the vet school staff. I sent photos of the homes, and sort of sadly, my mom failed to recognize any of the homes. It is move in week at KState, and there are tons of mom/dad/kid shopping at WalMart. The storage and furniture aisles are as bare as a Christmas Eve toy aisle.

I now face a decision. Do I call it a day now, or should I explore more access and maybe get to a high spot and watch for elk to come out as the sun sets? I decide to carry on exploring. Driving back towards the post, I drive past old places that have been repurposed. Wedding venues, and winery/restaurants are late afternoon surprises. I venture up the hill to find a fancy venue/restaurant/winery and decide that Mrs kansasdad needs to tell me if the wine is any good. A bottle of white, one of red, and a 4 pack of cider for me.

Watching the GPS and the map, I drove along the road that I have thinking about hunting off of ever since that marvelous day in July when I heard I get to hunt elk in Kansas. An interactive map of the post shows where there are food plots, and whether they are active or not. I parked alongside the road, put my car permit on the front dash and pushed through the woods towards my desired spotting area. Inside the woods I came across some rock walls from some lone ago abandoned structures. Those folks using stone to build their homes and barns are 1000 times tougher than I will be.

055.JPG
058.JPG
Probably a woodrat domicile. 060.JPG

Pushing through the woods, I came to a ubiquitous sight on the post. Firebreaks and ostensibly boundary markers in the form of a strip of grass that gets cut fairly regularly.

064.JPG
In the background, a large area of soybeans are flourishing, and this is nearing where I have thought about seeing my second ever Kansas free ranging elk. (First one was years ago directly west of Quivira National Refuge)

Huge stands of sericia ranging from waist high to eyebrow height cause me to wade rather than walk uphill to my observation spot. Along the way I find multiple bedding spots, some of them too large to be whitetail deer!! Continuing along I spook out a couple of deer, much to my delight. I have found land that holds ungulates.

Finally getting to a spot that allows a decent view of multiple food plots,I set my stool down to and get to important business.....cruising HuntTalk and checking in with Mrs kansasdad. Driving around earlier in my travels I saw a mobile concert venue being set up, and at 7:32 pm the honky-tonk sounds of a country western band sounds off. The deer pay it no attention.

081.JPG
As the sun approaches the top of the ridge, I start to pay attention to the land below me. More deer filtering out of the woods, and I'm having trouble with my binoculars. The diopter adjustment is not locking into place. GRRRRRR!. Fiddling around with the focus, I get to a place where I'm happy with my clarity I need. The sun has set, and the evening gloom is setting in. Watching the woods edge, I see no elk. Scanning with naked eyes I spot brown in a spot where there hasn't been brown before. Binoculars up, I see her. A beautiful born and bred Kansas elk walking along a thin treeline that separate food plots. Listening carefully I hear a calf squeal. Then another cow, and a yearling, and eventually three calves.

GOOSEBUMPS!!

Attachments

• 073.JPG
    073.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 45
On your muzzleloader is there any blow back by the 209 primer? Does the firing pin plug sit completely flush with the face of the breach?

There may be room for improvement in accuracy.

@Addicting I'm a rookie muzzleloader hunter for sure.

By blow back, I guess you are asking if there is blackened debris around the primer? There is a bit of burnt powder residue here.

And the firing pin plug does seem to be flush.

I have shot the gun enough to feel like I'm confident in my impact spot with 245gr power belts (all copper with open tip) that came with the CVA starter kit, but I have purchased 295gr AT for the hunt, as per the packaging, I'm wanting a heavier, slightly slower expanding bullet for elk.

I will shoot these bullets this weekend, with the idea of making sure the Leupold SABR scope reticle really is correct for 2 50gr pellets of powder at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 markings.

1692637669750.jpeg

@Addicting I'm a rookie muzzleloader hunter for sure.

By blow back, I guess you are asking if there is blackened debris around the primer? There is a bit of burnt powder residue here.

And the firing pin plug does seem to be flush.

I have shot the gun enough to feel like I'm confident in my impact spot with 245gr power belts (all copper with open tip) that came with the CVA starter kit, but I have purchased 295gr AT for the hunt, as per the packaging, I'm wanting a heavier, slightly slower expanding bullet for elk.

I will shoot these bullets this weekend, with the idea of making sure the Leupold SABR scope reticle really is correct for 2 50gr pellets of powder at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 markings.

View attachment 288753
Take a pic of the breech after firing in the open position before removing the 209 primer. I have that same gun and you can adjust the primer / firing pin so there isn’t escaping gas. Once I did it my groups shrank to around 1.5” at 200 with that scope.

Before I did it, groups were 3-4” at best.

Take a pic of the breech after firing in the open position before removing the 209 primer. I have that same gun and you can adjust the primer / firing pin so there isn’t escaping gas. Once I did it my groups shrank to around 1.5” at 200 with that scope.

Before I did it, groups were 3-4” at best.
@Addicting

Teach me sensei!

I’ll be shooting this weekend and will snap some photos

@Addicting

Teach me sensei!

I’ll be shooting this weekend and will snap some photos
It will also leave a burn ring on the bottom of your scope if it’s too bad.

It will also leave a burn ring on the bottom of your scope if it’s too bad.

I’ve read the thread, and I think I understand most of what was discussed. Winchester primers seem to be an easy first step in getting less blowback according to several posts. Seems like an easy first step.

I’ve read the thread, and I think I understand most of what was discussed. Winchester primers seem to be an easy first step in getting less blowback according to several posts. Seems like an easy first step.
I have a ton of those o rings, I can send you some if you want.

1 lasts 30ish shots.

Note to self: when supplying the Visitor Center pre-visit entry pass application, do not, I REPEAT, DO NOT use any of the dashes recognized by the state of Kansas on your driver's license on the application, as this throws the system into chaos.

Elk muzzleloader/archery seasons open of Friday, my first hunting visit to the post will be the following Thursday. The same seasons open for deer on 9/11 so that should increase the orange clad hunters quite a bit. (Full orange hat/chest/back required for anyone on the recreation areas 9/1 to 5/31)

I am hopeful to hear a beautiful chorus of bugling as I sit tight to some soybeans and pray for steady winds.

PS: big thanks to @Addicting for his mail sent earlier this week

After my father died in 2007, we four kids got together to help my mom downsize, and to split up some of his/their valuables that wouldn’t make the trip to her cottage. Two elephant tusks and two leopard skins were the “big” items. With the random draw giving me the “fighting tusk” from my avatar photo (the longer, skinnier one on the photos right side), we continued to select items draft style including his hunting gear.

Included in the pile was an old Boyt gun case, with an obviously well used exterior and a broken zipper. I took the case to Jack’s Shoe Repair and asked if he could replace the zipper. $95 and change later I have a functional gun case. The hole in the exterior is planned to be repaired with some zebra hide scraps, leftover from dad’s sandal making.

E76075A9-1011-45A4-A8CE-0A9356A31408.jpeg
FD7ECFBB-36D5-49C1-B911-428FECEA2468.jpeg
This case will be carrying the weapon of choice as I pursue my Kansas elk.

Thinking of “Poppy” as I adventure is something that never gets old, or easier. I miss him.

Lists are being made and items crossed off.

First days from me to hunt in the archery/muzzleloader elk season will have me competing with youth/disabled deer hunters and mid 90's high temperatures. And large swaths of recreation zones are closed for training, as per usual on the post. Just don't close down "my" zone please.

Operation cooler cool-down commences tonight, as the big boys are in the garage, and will take some time for the roto-molded material to release some heat.

Driving across the Flint Hills on Friday, I might have seen the eastern most antelope on the continent. A small band of 50ish antelope are eeking out survival. Fawns make it into the fall time at a staggering low rate due to coyote predation.

......and just like that, 13/16 of the recreation areas are closed starting the first day of my "vacation".

SPECIFICALLY CLOSED AREAS (Due to Management or Training Activities)

Sept. 5

Sept 6

Sept7-10

Sept. 11

TA19, A, B, D, E, H, K, L, M, O, P

TA19, A, B, C, D, E, F, H, I, K, L, M, O, P, Q

TA19, A, B, C, D, E, F, H, I, K, L, M, O, P

TA19, A, B, C, D, E, F, H, I, J, K, L, M, O, P

I'm sitting at my desk, face flushed and ears on fire (I would be a horrible poker player) as I think about my non-refundable reservation at the State Park cabin, and days scheduled to be away from the office.

Talking with the game warden, he says that the areas still open to hunt traditionally have very little elk activity on them, "but who knows??".

Typed that little woe-is-me entry above around thirty minutes ago. As I texted my news to Mrs kansasdad, I replied that I have decided to turn my frown upside down, and get after it in one of the open areas, and "give it all I've got".

Last edited:
......and just like that, 13/16 of the recreation areas are closed starting the first day of my "vacation".

SPECIFICALLY CLOSED AREAS (Due to Management or Training Activities)

Sept. 5

Sept 6

Sept7-10

Sept. 11

TA19, A, B, D, E, H, K, L, M, O, P

TA19, A, B, C, D, E, F, H, I, K, L, M, O, P, Q

TA19, A, B, C, D, E, F, H, I, K, L, M, O, P

TA19, A, B, C, D, E, F, H, I, J, K, L, M, O, P

I'm sitting at my desk, face flushed and ears on fire (I would be a horrible poker player) as I think about my non-refundable reservation at the State Park cabin, and days scheduled to be away from the office.

Talking with the game warden, he says that the areas still open to hunt traditionally have very little elk activity on them, "but who knows??".

Typed that little woah-is-me entry above around thirty minutes ago. As I texted my news to Mrs kansasdad, I replied that I have decided to turn my frown upside down, and get after it in one of the open areas, and "give it all I've got".
oof...good luck, make some lemonade

There are several issues about hunting on the installation, including needing to complete their safety briefing, getting a $25 hunting permit (non hunter/fishing recreationalists are free) and being very clear to understand what areas are closed for the tank and artillery training.

Here is the headache that can happen on post: area closures due to training

And large swaths of recreation zones are closed for training, as per usual on the post. Just don't close down "my" zone please.

Isn't it just going exactly as planned? 😀 and if that's the case, the unique hunt and adventure is just beginning!!!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back