Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

"Kaibab" Mule Deer Here We Come!!!!

The morning of the 10th day, 2nd to last hunting morning dawned cold and clear. We found this spot the day before but got there late in the afternoon. We still spotted a lot of deer bedded in the trees but no mature bucks. We made the plan to head there early the next morning to be first in the spot. As it started getting light we were seeing deer everywhere. I spotted the big 2x3 first. Down the ridge from this buck was another 4 point pushing does that would score around 160's. We moved around the hill and found a group of does with no buck. Glassing farther down the ridge was a small loner 4 point. I just happened to glass back up to the group of does and spotted the buck running with them. He looked good but I knew he wasn't the 200"er that I was hoping to take home. He was no doubt a stud but with the short G2's I just didn't know. I called my dad over for a second look and he said he was way to good to pass up. With only an evening left that would be nice, Sunday had another storm coming so who knows how the hunting would be, I decided I should make a run at him. I was able to close the distance to 485 yards. A little farther then I had hoped but he was pushing his does to the top of the hill and was only 20 yards from going over. I moved three different times to try and get a steady rest. The last was the best but even then not as good as I hoped. This was my setup. The buck was next to the upper Cedar close to the top.
P1170032.jpg

This what the deer was looking back towards before I shot.
P1170040.jpg

I got as comfortable as I could and put my 500 yard mark just above his back. I squeezed one off and saw the deer jump. Unfortunately it was just because I scared the chit out of him. He ran around the juniper and now was facing head on. Feeling the rush now I laid the cross hairs on him again and fired. I instantly lost him. Damn I missed again. I started scanning the hillside and couldn't find him. His does were running everywhere and I was getting nervous. That's when I started hearing the cheers from up on top the hill. I took a closer look and could see the buck laying stone dead next to the tree. This is what I saw from my scope once I found I had not missed.
P1170005.jpg

I waited for my dad to show up so we could walk up to him together. I had found why he dropped as he did. I had taken him right in the neck just below his chin. Being the meat hunter I am I couldn't have made a better shot to save all the meat. :rolleyes: He was a stud of a buck and a true warrior. He had scares up and down both sides of his neck and shoulders.
P1170047.jpg

P1170044.jpg

After skinning the buck I found 3 to four puncture wounds in his shoulders and he was completely blood shot from the neck down. It looked as if he was shot with a shot gun.

I truly feel like I did this old warrior a favor. Then I pulled up his leg and knew I had done the right thing to put this guy out of his misery. This poor fella had very little blood left in his testicle.
P1170103.jpg

P1170105.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my once in a lifetime Arizona Kaibab deer. I'm very happy with him even though he isn't that 200" deer that I have been longing for. He truly had the frame to make him a clean 200" typical. He just wasn't given the genetics to match up his G2's to the rest of his main frame. After taking him into the check station the guy aged him at 6 years old. Way above the average 2.5 year old deer that had been brought in. It was cool to take the biggest deer that I had found on the "bab". To many times I pass up deer and come home with nothing or a filler buck. This time I'm glad the old man told me to go kill that deer. I think if I was on my own I would have passed and more then likely gone home empty handed. I still look back and think what if. :confused:

P1170090.jpg

P1170087.jpg

P1170078.jpg

Unfortunately the 13.5" and 11" G2's kill the score on this pig. But even with that the buck scores just under 190" and will be close to netting into the B&C awards book.
P1170069.jpg

I was able to take the buck over to the Grand Canyon and take a few pics of him. Unfortunately the sun was way to harsh for good pics but this will just have to do.
P1170116.jpg

This is the end to my AZ Kaibab deer hunt. A true once in a lifetime experience was had and another great trip with the old man and good great friend Stan. Thanks guys for all the help and this buck is as much yours as it is mine. I was just the lucky one to be able to pull the trigger and hang him on my wall.

I look forward to paying you back on a once in a lifetime experience for yourselves.

Bugler,

That is a stud!!! You shouldn't be questioning yourself whatsoever!!! Congrats man!!

Great story, phots and an awesome buck! Congrats on your once in a lifetime trophy IB. He was well earned.

That's a really awesome deer.
I don't think you'll be regretting pulling the trigger on that guy, kudos to your pops for talking you in to pulling the trigger.

Congrats to you IB, not just hunting hard and taking a great buck but also for doing with your dad. It just doesn't get much better than that.

I don't care what the deer scores, it is a cool looking old buck.

Again Congrats.

Nemont

Congrats IB!! Stud buck for sure and as always, the write up was well worth the wait.....
That pic through the scope is tight- very nice.......

Congratulations on a great buck, Bryce.

IB works harder than just about anyone I know when it comes to research, scouting and hunting. It's no accident that he's always posting great trophies on here. He doesn't take days off, and he has a phenomenal pair of game-spotting eyes.

Awesome Buck and great story and photos thanks for sharing.

"Definitely "once in a lifetime", until next year . . "

I have stopped using That "Once in a lifetime hunt" statement a long time ago.The wife calls B.S.every time i tried.LOL

Back