Just one more

This week I was lucky enough to be gifted an old Winchester side by side 12 gauge that my late uncle purchased at the factory in Japan around 1982. A Winchester model 23, which was apparently only used once, is at my Father's home in some fancy Italian case waiting for pick up. Now I have to decide if it stays in current state or if I'm taking it in the field. I've only seen photos but they are sure pretty guns.

I’d like a mid-heavier weight steel plinking rifle in 6.5, or probably .308 because I have a lot of .308 brass.

I’m more likely to get a nice, light 20 gauge semi auto like a Montefeltro or Franchi.

But I definitely don’t need either one.
This ^^^, then start shooting in some Precision Rifle Series or National Rifle League matches. Great people at those matches, plus you'll have another bottomless pit you can throw invest money into. Here's a link to a home-state company and a very good rifle - hit the ground running!
You're welcome.

This ^^^, then start shooting in some Precision Rifle Series or National Rifle League matches. Great people at those matches, plus you'll have another bottomless pit you can throw invest money into. Here's a link to a home-state company and a very good rifle - hit the ground running!
You're welcome.
That’s gonna be a dangerous link for me to click on…

I vote for the 86 restoration.

Why the 629? I have one of those and it may be the next thing down the road. Damn unfun gun.

6-8" barrel with a full underlug & 2x scope for hunting. I've got a model 29 with the 4" bbl and enjoy it shooting the 240 grn xtp's with a stout load of h110.

I feel like I’ve read a post about them before but what quick release rings are you running? I have a Remington 7600 that I was considering a set of the Leupolds for to still have the open sights
Still a toss-up between Warne, Burris, and Leopold. I need an extended ring for my short necked scope and nobody makes QD extended rings so I'll have to put a rail on the gun. My Weaver bases are situated too far apart for the scope with conventional rings and I'm not inclined to punch more holes in the receiver. Makes more sense to move the holes in a rail to fit existing holes in the receiver. I have found a rail that's more aesthetic than the typical tacticool p-rail.

Warne has an ironclad guarantee that zero will be preserved, but I really don't care for the clamp at the top setup. I foresee it getting caught in soft case and/or scabbard. Curiously, though all three varieties each have low, medium, and high models, the heights vary considerably. I think'll probably go with Burris medium which will be closest to the Weaver extended mounts the gun is wearing now. The scope as it is now is a great fit.

My plans for the offseason include
1) New hunting bow. My Halon X is ready for an upgrade. Thinking Either PSE EVO EVL 32 (or whatever they release at ATA this week) or Mathews V3X 33.
2) Put a new trigger in my Bergara B-14 HMR. This is not a priority as it is just a range gun
3) I purchased 2 lbs of BH209 and a couple different copper bullet/sabot combinations to work up a new ML load. The shockwaves just don't expand and leave crappy bloodtrails.

Google Rock Island Auction, check out their February auction and search for Ithaca SKB shotgun - I think there are three pairs of them. Buy one pair, sell one of the guns to recover 50-60% of your money and you are good to go. They have a high buyer's premium, but it may be doable on your budget.. (You can submit an off-site bid, and it can be conditional on having not won an earlier lot).

PS. I don't work from RIA, but I have bought from them once.

25 years ago I swapped a 1911 Colt Goverment 45 for an engraved Ithaca SKB 3" 20 guage. ( I had two Colts) That shotgun has given me more pleasure than I could have ever imgained. I had to have the comb lowered and refinished by a professional. It was too high for fast grouse and moutain quail. Once I did that they fell out of the sky.

I also have two Ithaca model 37's, one full choke 12 for wild turkey and a small framed model 37 in 20 gauge modified. Both are fine field shotguns, but my SXS is the queen. It has a tight full and modified chokes

I have actually taken more wild turkey with it than the 12 guage, taken many grouse with it and Good Heavens has that fine shotgun brought home mountains of mountain quail in the desert mountains where I lived for 28 years

One feature I simply adore about it are the factory installed sling swivel studs. The front stud was was screwed very neatly in between the barrels about two inches ahead of the front stock.

The wood to metal fit and the high quality engraving are both a joy to behold.

I should add that the bluing has been wore off years ago where my hands carry it and the engraving there is "hand polished".

I’m just waiting on a trigger guard I ordered from PTG 6 weeks ago….

Then I’ll finish the .25-06 build.

Reading the classics thread. Why don’t I have a lever gun in the safe?
I ask myself that a couple times a week. I have a .30/30, but it has this funny thing hanging off the right side of it that goes up, back, forward and down. Funny looking for a lever gun cartridge.

Last edited:
25 years ago I swapped a 1911 Colt Goverment 45 for an engraved Ithaca SKB 3" 20 guage. ( I had two Colts) That shotgun has given me more pleasure than I could have ever imgained. I had to have the comb lowered and refinished by a professional. It was too high for fast grouse and moutain quail. Once I did that they fell out of the sky.

I also have two Ithaca model 37's, one full choke 12 for wild turkey and a small framed model 37 in 20 gauge modified. Both are fine field shotguns, but my SXS is the queen. It has a tight full and modified chokes

I have actually taken more wild turkey with it than the 12 guage, taken many grouse with it and Good Heavens has that fine shotgun brought home mountains of mountain quail in the desert mountains where I lived for 28 years

One feature I simply adore about it are the factory installed sling swivel studs. The front stud was was screwed very neatly in between the barrels about two inches ahead of the front stock.

The wood to metal fit and the high quality engraving are both a joy to behold.

I should add that the bluing has been wore off years ago where my hands carry it and the engraving there is "hand polished".

I got to thinking and doing the math and it was almost 35 years ago that I bought that SXS Ithaca 20 guage. As far as getting another firearm. I really do not want any more. Actually I want less and have been selling many fine firearms and have been enjoying doing so.

In the HT post about Classic riflles I mentioned a custom 35 Whelen, that will be gone next week. I bought a real fine spotting scope with what I got for it. I sold the other 1911 Colt 45 too. Happy to have it go into new hands, My hands got tired of holding it. I sold a pre WW2 Browning A5, a pre 64 30-06, and a long barreled model 94 in 30-30. More wil go, save for one.

I came out west 51 years ago. I had a fine new camper van and in it were two firearms. A lefever SXS 12 guage and my Safari grade Belgium Browning 30-06. I took a desert bighorn ram with that rifle.

Next fall I want to do trip around the west again, I have the newer camper van and I want three firearms in it. My Browning 30-06, that sweet SKB and a model 15 Smith and Wesson 38spl Combat Masterpiece.

Having too many guns reduces the sense of connection with each one.

I wil be 74 soon.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back